2024 comp pick update

HappyDays

Yea that was my back of a ***** packet maths this morning too.

I am not a "comp pick" obsessive but when you are in line for a free 3rd rounder you should absolutely NEVER blow that.

12 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Pretty sure no ones knows the rules of the comp formula, so not sure why so much time is spent over it.

Every year there has been situations that go against the "formula"

No there are not. Over The Cap's tracker gets the odd 7th rounder wrong but otherwise they have a pretty good handle on it each year.

• Agree 4

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea that was my back of a ***** packet maths this morning too.

I am not a "comp pick" obsessive but when you are in line for a free 3rd rounder you should absolutely NEVER blow that.

No there are not. Over The Cap's tracker gets the odd 7th rounder wrong but otherwise they have a pretty good handle on it each year.

Over the Cap updates it after the NFL awards their picks.  They more or less, change their website to make it match the exacts.

When awarding compensatory picks, the NFL uses a formula that accounts for a player’s average salary per year (APY), snap count and postseason awards. The exact specifics of the formula are confidential, but we do know it also takes into consideration a player’s history of playing time (or lack thereof). 

What are compensatory draft picks and why do NFL teams get them? - NBC Sports Chicago

• Disagree 1

For those who "don't understand the comp formula" it's really easy:

1) If you lose a valuable Free Agent (Tremaine Edmunds) that gets paid top of market value, you get a comp pick for them.

2) You can only receive this comp pick if you LOSE more "qualified free agents" than you gain.

3) A "qualified free agent" is a player that is not a free agent because he was cut AND his salary needs to be above a certain level (this year about $2.5M).

(Thus, free agents can be signed and "not qualify" because they were either cut or their salary is low)

If you spend all day on this message board and still can't put these 3 things together or you can't understand why people want free 3rd round picks... you probably shouldn't post your opinion on it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

For those who "don't understand the comp formula" it's really easy:

1) If you lose a valuable Free Agent (Tremaine Edmunds) that gets paid top of market value, you get a comp pick for them.

2) You can only receive this comp pick if you LOSE more "qualified free agents" than you gain.

3) A "qualified free agent" is a player that is not a free agent because he was cut AND his salary needs to be above a certain level (this year about $2.5M).

(Thus, free agents can be signed and "not qualify" because they were either cut or their salary is low)

If you spend all day on this message board and still can't put these 3 things together or you can't understand why people want free 3rd round picks... you probably shouldn't post your opinion on it.

Nice summary, and I fully agree with the bolded.

I think its worth adding that not all FAs count AFAIK, only those whose contract ended, not those who were cut. Or something like this.

25 minutes ago, dreadlox said:

So if the situation stays the same with 3 lost and 2 signed, does Tremaine’s Chicago contract determine the pick the Bills will receive?

Yes, and this is a good source for this information:

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Fantastic quote.

"How dare you talk about something I don't understand! Now excuse me, I'm going to spend my next 12 hours analyzing what some 30-something UFA ate for lunch on Instagram and why it means he's signing here"

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, No_Matter_What said:

This is great, I hope it stays that way. Extra 3 round pick always helps. If I were Beane I would be really careful who to sign now since it has to be worth it, which is unlikely.

It seems to me Beane was quite aware of the situation and took advantage of it.

Meanwhile, he can trade, sign UFAs that were cut from their original teams or are under the qualifying dollars.

He also knows that immediately following the draft, all UFAs will no longer be considered under the formula.

Once the dust settles, Beane has right around $10M in cap space and I don't see him adding to that unless some extraordinary options surface.

I don't even understand why this is a thing anymore. There is no reason to hand out comp picks for losing FAs. It would be one thing if it were like MLB with the haves and have nots due to no salary cap, but the NFL basically covers all player salaries with TV contract money so it's up to the individual teams to decide whether they want to keep a player or not.

Choosing not to keep a player shouldn't have anything to do with trying to get a comp pick. Since all teams are on more or less equal footing(minus signing bonus money), it would all balance out eventually. It's outlived whatever purpose it served at one point.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.