How long before a defense coordinator is signed?

Punching Bag

Whoever it is, let's make sure that it's someone from Carolina.  Their tenacious defense and inspiring playoff performances over the past five seasons is a standard to be brought her to Buffalo.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Holcomb was hired before Frazier came to them and told them about this

On the 28th, they said Frazier had come to the team and discussed his feelings on stepping away "last week."

Holcomb was hired on Feb. 8th.

But yeah, they're dealing with this with the folks who are already on the staff.

It is possible this move was in the works BEFORE Holcomb got  hired.

Maybe they will let Frazier keep his DC title to save face,and Holcomb can work under HIS title.

Just like the belief in Spencer bRown stuff, Beane was pretty clear that they won't add anyone from the outside and it sounds like McDermott is going to call the plays. I bet Holcomb or Bobby Babich will be the run game coordinator and Butler will be the passing game coordinator, doing all the grunt work with McDermott calling the plays on gameday. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Just like the belief in Spencer bRown stuff, Beane was pretty clear that they won't add anyone from the outside and it sounds like McDermott is going to call the plays. I bet Holcomb or Bobby Babich will be the run game coordinator and Butler will be the passing game coordinator, doing all the grunt work with McDermott calling the plays on gameday. 

Really no different from the way that teams with offensive gurus operate. There is no reason that it can’t work in the defensive side of the ball too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

On the 28th, they said Frazier had come to the team and discussed his feelings on stepping away "last week."

But yeah, they're dealing with this with the folks who are already on the staff.

Which tells you everything you need to know about whose decision it was for Frazier to exit the building. He’s likely getting a paid to take a year off because he had another guaranteed year on his contract. In that case the Bills would have to pay him unless he took another coaching job, which would explain why he’s not jumping back into coaching this year. 

Edited by BarleyNY

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Then did the hiring of Holcomb cause Frazier to want to leave? Either way, it seems like they were preparing for it.

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

If I'm McDermott, it's time to think outside the box and step out of your comfort zone.

steve-belichick-tongue.gif

5 hours ago, Malazan said:

That's outside everyone's comfort zone. 

5 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

IT'S REX TIME.

That's outside everyone's comfort zone.

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

Really no different from the way that teams with offensive gurus operate. There is no reason that it can’t work in the defensive side of the ball too.

I wish we could bring in an offensive "assistant" to prop up Dorsey.  

32 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Nobody likely will get named DC since Leslie on sabbatical but who calls plays/develops the game plan will be interesting. I'll assume it be Al Holcomb. 

McDermott will call the plays just like Andy Reid calls the plays in KC and Siriani calls the plays in Philly. 

My take is this:

-wanted to fire Frazier

-McD wants to try calling defense himself

So they came up with a compromise. Fraz says "I need a year off". FO pretends they anticipate him back next year, so McD calls the defense in his stead.

If it goes well: McDs a genius. Don't bring back Frazier

If it doesn't: we need a new scheme so we hired Cordy McCoordinator. Leslie who?

• Like (+1) 1

I predict that no one will officially hold that title this year.

It will be a group effort between Sean McDermott, Eric Washington, Al Holcomb, and Bobby Babich.

When it ultimately comes to who will be most responsible for calling plays on gameday, my money would be on Coach McDermott or Coach Washington.

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Then did the hiring of Holcomb cause Frazier to want to leave? Either way, it seems like they were preparing for it.

Imo, yes it did, LF knew he was non longer fully calling the shots, so he “retired/went on hiatus”  

(to Florida where all retired people wait to be called up…,)

8 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Clear Coach McDermott can provide input and evaluations to front office but a head coach is supposed not just be a more highly paid defense coordinator.

It has been a month (Leslie Frazier's stepping down was announced on February 23) and I expected to at least hear of interviews.

[ To those who want to bash Leslie Frazier there are already other threads and no need to repeat yourself unless you do not have self control to prevent it ]

Leslie taking "A year sabbatical" is an issue for Bills if his contract is guaranteed not due to his salary but because candidates may not want to be hired on a one year lame duck contract.  Even if they were offered multi-year contracts the new coach would not want to step down. 

Internal Candidates:

• Eric Washington - previously coached for Coach McD for 5 years and when he left he was DC for 2 years for Panthers
  • Al Holcomb - previously coached for Coach McD for 4 years and when he left he went to Cardinals where he was DC for 1 year

Coach McD says he wants a more aggressive defense and the Cover 2 scheme he runs does not tend to be aggressive although it has been dialed up. Bills have some players who can be aggressive who are good at blitzing.

My preference would be an outside candidate and I advocated a senior defense assistant last year without experience with working with Coach McD to serve as counterpoint but that never occurred.

I have heard Mike Pettine being suggested by media who is assistant HC for Vikings but not any position coach but I doubt he would want to come back but he might with a different front office..

If you really think Frazier is coming back, then this is a problem.  I think he got tired of being passed over for HC jobs and was just heartsick.  But he's at an age where retirement feels really good, and where HC job offers aren't flooding his inbox.  A good DC who wants to grab the job and keep it could keep Frazier retired.  

Just now, Utah John said:

If you really think Frazier is coming back, then this is a problem.  I think he got tired of being passed over for HC jobs and was just heartsick.  But he's at an age where retirement feels really good, and where HC job offers aren't flooding his inbox.  A good DC who wants to grab the job and keep it could keep Frazier retired.  

I doubt they would keep him retired,  Bills would move him to front office and let him do evaluations or some other job since his salary is guaranteed. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.