A players perspective on the Bengals game

Magox

7 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

That game was a continuation of what was happening in the "Hamlin Game". In the limited amount of play you could tell that Cinci was on a whole different level than the Bills (that includes some dirty play as well). That being said, I really do think (defensive) coaching didn't help in either game. 

I agree, the second game felt like it was just finishing what was happening in the mini-game, but worse. The slippery conditions made it even more painful. We’ll never know for sure, but we’ll never forget it, either. 

I hope we see some tweaks on D with the DC and safeties coaches gone, but it will be much the same with McD as HC. 

What concerns me most is Dorsey. We need better protection and some weapons, but he needs to grow into that job in a hurry. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I think that what you said right here is the thing that fans have latched onto all off-season, and frankly what scares us more than any personnel losses or future salary cap constraints.  

When you have a staff that isn't capable of reading the room or properly adjusting to these types of in-game circumstances, that's when it's hard to envision a Super Bowl victory no matter how great our QB is or how much talent we acquire

I was in the stands that day, and it absolutely stood out to be the most lifeless performance I've seen in the 50 or so games I've been to over the past 30 years

It felt like the game was over in the first quarter and we were just waiting for it to officially end.

It wasn't any different on TV either

26 minutes ago, mrags said:

So…. The players had no fire and no urgency in the game at all. The coaches apparently didn’t notice this like some of the players did and did nothing about it. I understand the players need to play the game. But when things like this happen on a grand scale, when it’s not just one player, it’s a coaching issue. At the very least the coaches needed to rein it in and change something. 

It is long been one of my theories that the team just wasn’t ready to continue playing after what happened with the Hamlin thing

The problem is, it’s not provable, so the only thing to do is just to move on from it new season arriving

15 minutes ago, Einstein said:

If you fought Mike Tyson in his prime, you would look uninspired too.

It doesn't mean you weren't focused. Or that you were drained before the fight. It would be because he's that much better.

We all like to ignore it, but the Bengals were well on their way to blowing us out BEFORE the damar injury. They were up 7-3 and driving with ease again.

Did you just compare this Bengals team to Mike Tyson?

Sorry - they were not "well on their way" to blowing us out before the injury in the regular season game.  We were 9 minutes in, and both teams had a drive where they went down the field pretty easily.

I'd understand if someone thought that if they had just started watching the NFL that week.  Otherwise, no.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I think that what you said right here is the thing that fans have latched onto all off-season, and frankly what scares us more than any personnel losses or future salary cap constraints.  

When you have a staff that isn't capable of reading the room or properly adjusting to these types of in-game circumstances, that's when it's hard to envision a Super Bowl victory no matter how great our QB is or how much talent we acquire

I was in the stands that day, and it absolutely stood out to be the most lifeless performance I've seen in the 50 or so games I've been to over the past 30 years

It felt like the game was over in the first quarter and we were just waiting for it to officially end.

I was there as well. Completely lifeless on the Bills end. Right from the start I knew we were losing. I’ve been to almost every home game since 2006 and I have seen the team that lifeless since probably the Juron years. 

20 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

I think that’s an oversimplification of a really nuanced situation.

the Bills team went through a more tumultuous season then any I can remember, along with an incredibly grueling schedule as well.  The team looked like they lost steam after the hot start in the wild card game, and that obviously carried over to the Bengals game.  The coaches impact in two ways - 1) mid week prep and coordination and 2)in game management.  I personally put a lot more weight into mid week prep than I do the in game impact a coach makes.

how many times do you see a coach bring the entire team together to address a situation in game?  That’s a halftime closed door situation usually.  But I haven’t seen it happen on the sideline.  If you do see sideline conversations happening, it’s usually the team captains.

frankly, this team really struggled with execution throughout the entire season.   You could point to a LOT of execution breakdowns that were huge, and the bengals game was a culmination of those errors and struggles.  I don’t blame the coaches all that much for our struggles in that game, I blame the players who were likely exhausted and strained from a long long season

Well. The players should realize then that when you want to play in the Super Bowl you will have to play 2 more games than they are used to. Maybe it’s their fault for that. Maybe it’s the coaches faults for not getting the team ready for what was (for many of the players) the biggest games of their lives. 

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

I agree, the second game felt like it was just finishing what was happening in the mini-game, but worse. The slippery conditions made it even more painful. We’ll never know for sure, but we’ll never forget it, either. 

I hope we see some tweaks on D with the DC and safeties coaches gone, but it will be much the same with McD as HC. 

What concerns me most is Dorsey. We need better protection and some weapons, but he needs to grow into that job in a hurry. 

Speak for yourself.  I got blackout drink that night and didn't remember it.  Just saw the final score the next day and didn't bother to watch the highlights.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

It is long been one of my theories that the team just wasn’t ready to continue playing after what happened with the Hamlin thing

The problem is, it’s not provable, so the only thing to do is just to move on from it new season arriving

So the players are weak and can’t overcome some things that happen to them. 

I get it, not many people have been around people dying. It’s not easy. But plenty of people make way less money to do it on a regular basis and perform. 

The Hamlin thing is an excuse imo. And a bad one. The Bengals were in the field when it happened too and they came into our house and kicked our butts. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, mrags said:

So the players are weak and can’t overcome some things that happen to them. 

I get it, not many people have been around people dying. It’s not easy. But plenty of people make way less money to do it on a regular basis and perform. 

The Hamlin thing is an excuse imo. And a bad one. The Bengals were in the field when it happened too and they came into our house and kicked our butts. 

I agree it’s a weak excuse and didn’t decide the game. HOWEVER, seeing a stranger in the grocery store die of a heart attack is different than seeing your brother die of a heart attack.

The Bengals won because they (players and coaches) kicked our tails, but the Damar going down before the Bengals too is not apples to apples. 

I don't disagree that we were somewhat off, but as a whole, I found it laughable how easily this forum dismissed the Bengals prior and it's getting to be downright delusional how some people are dismissing them now. 

If the Bills and the Bengals are applying for a job and can only use measurable accomplishments, like record against each other, record against the best team in our conference, playoff record, and on it goes. Buffalo is never getting hired. Perhaps the only piece of data that suggests this is even worth discussing is more history (Allen is older and never was lost for a full year) and advanced statistics like DVOA (which Buffalo has dominated and subsequently shown to not meet). 

Just because we aren't at the same level yet does not mean we can't get there. It does not mean next season isn't our year. It just stating what seem to be obvious facts that some people won't accept for whatever reason. 

Edited by KzooMike

29 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I think you have also been told that it’s not all just about this one game…

They performed below expectations over the second half of the season and almost lost a playoff game at home to Skylar Thompson..

No…Mr. WEO said the loss was 100% on coaching.  

49 minutes ago, SCBills said:

They probably were in that moment .. but that doesn’t change the fact that we played the most lifeless game ever seen from this iteration of the Bills. 

It was our Clubber Lang moment…Now, the question becomes- can we switch up the south paw and come back with a right hook? 😉

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

I agree it’s a weak excuse and didn’t decide the game. HOWEVER, seeing a stranger in the grocery store die of a heart attack is different than seeing your brother die of a heart attack.

The Bengals won because they (players and coaches) kicked our tails, but the Damar going down before the Bengals too is not apples to apples. 

Fight or flight. Either you come to realization of what happened or you continue to dwell on it after it happened. 

it’s not an easy thing. I just hate the excuses. Kids that are barely 20 years old go into the military and watch their brothers fall. Many people in law enforcement, the medical field, etc. I don’t expect them all to get over it, but to have the entire team play flat is inexcusable imo. 

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Excuses.

We lost because the Bengals are the better team right now. From coaches to players.

Yep, and yet look at the reactions people give you.  LOL

We straight up got our butts kicked up an down the lineup on both sides of the ball and were thoroughly out-schemed and out-coached in the game.

Other than that, we almost had 'em!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

The game last year was a fluke. The entire season was weird. Sure, there are problems, which Beane is addressing, but it's just best to move on and focus on getting better, both physically and mentally. You can't let this haunt you. 

Edited by chongli
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mushypeaches said:

100% agree. I think it was yet another bad weather game , Hamlin coming to the locker room, Josh running for his life and the players knowing they were outcoached. They had enough Josh included.

It was obvious the team was emotionally spent. We can blame coaching but at some point the players need take responsibility.  It is vital to have leadership from a couple of players on the field and on that day we just didn’t have it. 

• Agree 2

So, after this game, our DC semi-retires. Then, our HC comes out and says that he wants to be the DC and that it will be more of an attacking style of defense. Frazier lost the last couple playoff games. Period. Nobody wants to talk about it, but that is what happened. Sure, the HC takes the ultimate blame. But our DEFENSIVE failures cost us our last two playoff games by being too damned soft; once in the last 13 seconds and one for almost an entire game. Leslie is a nice guy, but the blank stares on the sidelines do not exactly exude confidence in me. I mean, WE talk about it, but Taiwan ain’t exactly keepin it real by not specifically discussing this fact. Playing prevent defense in Q1 while already down multiple scores is just about stupid. He schitt the bed. Now, a player needs to speak the damn truth. “Man, we had some real bad situational defense calls in that game.” That’s what I want to read. 

• Like (+1) 2

They packed it in the minute Hamlin got taken off the field. The only reason they beat NE the following week is because they got two special teams TDs, and they only reason they beat Miami the week after that was because the Dolphins were totally decimated. They just quit on the year. Yeah, they went through a lot in one season, but so do plenty of people whose annual salary is 1/4 of an NFL player's weekly game check.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.