The Walls be Closing

Kemp

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Trump is by far the most corrupt person in our government. 

I hate to break it to you fine folks but Trump isn't the President any more. In fact he is not even a member of the government in any manner.

1 minute ago, wnyguy said:

I hate to break it to you fine folks but Trump isn't the President any more. In fact he is not even a member of the government in any manner.

No, he's just the front runner for the GOP nomination. Did you forget that? 

11 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

No, he's just the front runner for the GOP nomination. Did you forget that? 

Not in government in any capacity at the moment. Move on to someone who is, if you can.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

Hillary created her own private server in her home therby bypassing the security measures in place on official government servers.

But don't worry, she was just careless and there was no intent when she intentionally created her own private unsecured server in her home in order to bypass secure government servers.

You people are friggin clowns.

Then prosecute her too.  By all means they should if they can convince a jury to convict.  

ANYONE, regardless of party/position/whatever that breaks the law and abuses their position should be prosecuted.  

28 minutes ago, wnyguy said:

So were the documents unclassified when he brought them out of the Office or not, regardless if Trump was dumb?

That requires a legal conclusion. This hasn't been litigated in the courts, so right now we can only say "it depends on what the courts say."

My points:

- Trump (assuming the tapes are correctly characterized) himself thinks they REMAINED CLASSIFIED despite the fact that he (knowingly? we think so) took them out of the Office while still President. That is why he apparently said something like "I'd love to talk about this in greater detail, but the documents (and information therein) remain classified," coupled with regret that he DID NOT declassify them when he had the authority to do so

- there is still an argument that it doesn't matter what Trump thought he was or wasn't doing, that even if he THOUGHT they remained classified, the ACT of knowingly taking them out of a secured classified facility and into his personal position while he was still President had the legal effect of declassifying them. 

My takeaways:

- these tapes, if correctly characterized, change the legal landscape. It's an admission by Trump that he recognizes (as he understands it) that the document/information remained classified long after his departure from office. That takes away his public defense ("I was the President, I could and did declassify, no special magic words required")

- it leaves him with two weaker defenses: (1) even though I believe I had the inherent right to declassify anything I wanted to, THESE particular documents (but maybe not others?) were removed through carelessness, not intentionally (remember, the prosecutor would have to prove a specific violation based on specific documents/information). This argument may be very weak on the facts, particularly since his public statements are fair game with respect to knowledge/intent. (2) even though he THOUGHT he may have removed still-classified information, that belief was incorrect as a matter of law, since his knowing removal of the document in question effectively declassified it as a matter of law.

This puts his lawyers in a difficult position. Notice that Defense (1) is incompatible with Defense (2). Defense (1) is based on lack of actual knowledge that this document was removed while still classified. (the Hillary defense). Defense (2) REQUIRES his knowledge - his knowing decision - to remove the document while he was still President and thereby declassify it as a matter of law.

So a fairly weak case just became a much stronger case. 

3 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Then prosecute her too.  By all means they should if they can convince a jury to convict.  

ANYONE, regardless of party/position/whatever that breaks the law and abuses their position should be prosecuted.  

See my comment above. Comey was clear that the investigation did not show knowledge/intent to remove/post classified information and that the case therefore involved carelessness (in law, gross negligence) and that no reasonable prosecutor would bring a criminal case on those facts. Trump is now found to have been recognizing that he had still-classified documents in his possession as late as summer 2001 (at least 6 months after losing the job).

• Thank you (+1) 1

One other comment: this is why there's such a thing as White House Counsel! If you think you have the right to take any document with you (and thereby declassify it by operation of law), you ask your counsel whether that's a defensible position. But when you alienate everyone around you, including your Counsel, well, then you do stupid and illegal things.

48 minutes ago, wnyguy said:

Don't tell that to our Q Anon devotees!

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

So is "I didn't know I had them in my garage."

Again: "I didn't know I had them in my garage" is different from "I have it right here, but I can't show it to you because it's still classified."

Imagine the distinction between the ordinary defense of "I bought it from a pawn shop and the guy assured me it was legit" and "yeah, I bought it from a guy who told me he just boosted it from Walmart."

20 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

One other comment: this is why there's such a thing as White House Counsel! If you think you have the right to take any document with you (and thereby declassify it by operation of law), you ask your counsel whether that's a defensible position. But when you alienate everyone around you, including your Counsel, well, then you do stupid and illegal things.

Ok but it hasn't been proven to be illegal, "stupid" I'll give you.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

This is Trump we are talking about

True.  Joke will get his own thread in short order...

11 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Again: "I didn't know I had them in my garage" is different from "I have it right here, but I can't show it to you because it's still classified."

Imagine the distinction between the ordinary defense of "I bought it from a pawn shop and the guy assured me it was legit" and "yeah, I bought it from a guy who told me he just boosted it from Walmart."

Right because having a classified document but realizing it can't be shown to anyone is worse than having classified documents in your garage that any visitor to his house can access, namely his POS son and his cronies.  Good one.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

That requires a legal conclusion. This hasn't been litigated in the courts, so right now we can only say "it depends on what the courts say."

My points:

- Trump (assuming the tapes are correctly characterized) himself thinks they REMAINED CLASSIFIED despite the fact that he (knowingly? we think so) took them out of the Office while still President. That is why he apparently said something like "I'd love to talk about this in greater detail, but the documents (and information therein) remain classified," coupled with regret that he DID NOT declassify them when he had the authority to do so

- there is still an argument that it doesn't matter what Trump thought he was or wasn't doing, that even if he THOUGHT they remained classified, the ACT of knowingly taking them out of a secured classified facility and into his personal position while he was still President had the legal effect of declassifying them. 

My takeaways:

- these tapes, if correctly characterized, change the legal landscape. It's an admission by Trump that he recognizes (as he understands it) that the document/information remained classified long after his departure from office. That takes away his public defense ("I was the President, I could and did declassify, no special magic words required")

- it leaves him with two weaker defenses: (1) even though I believe I had the inherent right to declassify anything I wanted to, THESE particular documents (but maybe not others?) were removed through carelessness, not intentionally (remember, the prosecutor would have to prove a specific violation based on specific documents/information). This argument may be very weak on the facts, particularly since his public statements are fair game with respect to knowledge/intent. (2) even though he THOUGHT he may have removed still-classified information, that belief was incorrect as a matter of law, since his knowing removal of the document in question effectively declassified it as a matter of law.

This puts his lawyers in a difficult position. Notice that Defense (1) is incompatible with Defense (2). Defense (1) is based on lack of actual knowledge that this document was removed while still classified. (the Hillary defense). Defense (2) REQUIRES his knowledge - his knowing decision - to remove the document while he was still President and thereby declassify it as a matter of law.

So a fairly weak case just became a much stronger case. 

See my comment above. Comey was clear that the investigation did not show knowledge/intent to remove/post classified information and that the case therefore involved carelessness (in law, gross negligence) and that no reasonable prosecutor would bring a criminal case on those facts. Trump is now found to have been recognizing that he had still-classified documents in his possession as late as summer 2001 (at least 6 months after losing the job).

Excellent discussion Frank. 

It is indeed a complex one. It sounds like you’re saying that the crime’s been committed as soon as the documents are taken out of the building. And therefore what you do with them, or where you store them after that, has no bearing on guilt or innocence. In essence, possession is 10/10ths of the law. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SUNY_amherst said:

Well the impeachment trials were stacked with a jury of his political beneficiaries so he lucked out there. 

The Mueller Report though fortunately operated outside that corrupt vacuum and resulted in the plenty of convictions, pleas and jail time. Felons include trumps closest advisors, attorney, and campaign manager.

reads like blue anon .  yes, individuals did crimes and were found guilty in those investigations, he was not.  it's kind of simple like that. 

some would argue the entire thing was theatre by his political opponents that had been trying to keep him out of office, before he was even elected.

crossfire hurricane might have been a cool song, but it was also a conspiracy to spy on the opposition running for office.   based on what everyone in the room knew was political opposition research.  When did Mueller realize Sussman worked for Hillary?  

31 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

reads like blue anon .  yes, individuals did crimes and were found guilty in those investigations, he was not.  it's kind of simple like that. 

some would argue the entire thing was theatre by his political opponents that had been trying to keep him out of office, before he was even elected.

crossfire hurricane might have been a cool song, but it was also a conspiracy to spy on the opposition running for office.   based on what everyone in the room knew was political opposition research.  When did Mueller realize Sussman worked for Hillary?  

As many on here know, I try and simplify things. The fact that Mueller testified that he’d never heard of Fusion GPS it said EVERYTHING you needed to know about the entire process. Period! Full stop. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Excellent discussion Frank. 

It is indeed a complex one. It sounds like you’re saying that the crime’s been committed as soon as the documents are taken out of the building. And therefore what you do with them, or where you store them after that, has no bearing on guilt or innocence. In essence, possession is 10/10ths of the law. 

I don't know any other way to say it but I'm going out on a limb to make a wild guess and say that a lot of these documents are classified for the purpose of hiding illegal or unethical government activity or actions by the intelligence community in violation of the law or acts of Congress. 

Let's hypothetically say I'm correct.  So if that proves true, are we still going after Trump or the people that broke the law and tried to hide it?  

I should have added some context.  The US government "classifies" about 50 million documents a year.  That's 50 million secrets.  And that smacks of overuse of the classified designation as it's very hard to comprehend there are that many legitimate national security secrets and concerns to keep hidden from friends and enemies alike.  What it amounts to is giving the American citizen the mushroom treatment.  Keep us in the dark and feed us BS.     

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

As many on here know, I try and simplify things. The fact that Mueller testified that he’d never heard of Fusion GPS it said EVERYTHING you needed to know about the entire process. Period! Full stop. 

Off topic, but Mueller really appeared to be losing it by the time of his testimony (and likely during the investigation itself). Let's stop entrusting key governmental functions to the elderly.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Off topic, but Mueller really appeared to be losing it by the time of his testimony (and likely during the investigation itself). Let's stop entrusting key governmental functions to the elderly.

Lol, is that why he never found the connections so many others have?