What is the plan at DT?

Matt_In_NH

41 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I read many of you saying they should trade Oliver because they already know they’re not retaining him next year. Makes sense. Was the same true with Edmunds? Or do you believe they thought they had a shot of keeping him? 

I don't think they know that on Ed. I think they are in a very similar position. I said a year ago I thought they were probably leaning to letting Tremaine go but that they hadn't made a decision. I suspect they are in exactly the same place now with Ed. A year ago Beane was talking about him "being here for a long time" when they picked up the option. The mood music is noticeably more reticent this year as it was last offseason on Edmunds compared to previous years.  Maybe that means the decisions were both made a year out, but I doubt it. Just isn't how this regime rolls. I'd make it odds against that Ed is here in 2024, but I don't think it's impossible. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think they know that on Ed. I think they are in a very similar position. I said a year ago I thought they were probably leaning to letting Tremaine go but that they hadn't made a decision. I suspect they are in exactly the same place now with Ed. A year ago Beane was talking about him "being here for a long time" when they picked up the option. The mood music is noticeably more reticent this year as it was last offseason on Edmunds compared to previous years.  Maybe that means the decisions were both made a year out, but I doubt it. Just isn't how this regime rolls. I'd make it odds against that Ed is here in 2024, but I don't think it's impossible. 

I agree and everyone has to remember it’s only one part of very complicated cap scenario. These decisions aren’t made with only the player in mind. Beane is now saddled with a top QB and top DE contract on the books. That fact alone changes just about everything else. 

Just looking at the numbers and unless I missed a guy here or there every single DT (except one) that had 6 or more sacks was a first round pick.  We've had as much success with 3rd and 5 rd picks (Phillips or Williams) as we have with first round picks (Oliver and Dareus).  It would be awesome if Jordan Phillips stayed healthy and found the fountain of youth and had a big year beside Jones.  I like Phillips but I'm not sure I'd pin my hopes on that.  I guess the big question is if you draft a DT where (what round)?

6 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

The only thing better than a massive, angry, unmovable mountain of a DT is another DT lined up next to him who is slightly bigger. 

Let's recreate the Ted Washington/Sam Adams DT pairing

Not sure how we'd do that again but sign us up.  That would be awesome.  Kyle and Dareus were pretty damn good when Schwartz was here.

14 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

Just looking at the numbers and unless I missed a guy here or there every single DT (except one) that had 6 or more sacks was a first round pick.  We've had as much success with 3rd and 5 rd picks (Phillips or Williams) as we have with first round picks (Oliver and Dareus).  It would be awesome if Jordan Phillips stayed healthy and found the fountain of youth and had a big year beside Jones.  I like Phillips but I'm not sure I'd pin my hopes on that.  I guess the big question is if you draft a DT where (what round)?

I think you have to just go by your board.   It is a position they need, there are bigger needs like LB.    But after LB I think you can argue WR TE DT S OT are next.   So you have to see what is there when it is your pick.  If at any point a guy jumps off the list at one of those positions you pull the trigger.  I like drafting a WR in the first because their value is so high to get a vet.  Find one on a cost controlled deal.  OT is similar.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.