What is the plan at DT?

Matt_In_NH

10 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

But, But, Edmunds sucked, anyone would be better. No instincts, bad against the run and can't make any splash plays. We should be able to sign someone off the street that's better. I've read it here for years now...

Sarcasm off.😉

I get the sarcasm and the mixed feelings on Edmunds but how do you let a borderline pro bowler walk without an incumbent in training or FA acquisition in place? 

6 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

I get the sarcasm and the mixed feelings on Edmunds but how do you let a borderline pro bowler walk without an incumbent in training or FA acquisition in place? 

I liked Edmunds, just the money didn't work. Only thing I can think of is a defensive scheme change or they have someone they are going to go after in the draft.🤷

I think a lot depends on how they replace Edmunds. I hope they don't take a DT in the draft before the 3-4 RD. I still think our current guys can work. DaQuan Jones obviously is a keeper. Settle didn't have a great year but he was very good in Washington so hopefully he can bounce back,

Phillips for a reasonable price is a pretty good player. He's getting older so they might have limit his snaps. Brandin Byant is still a young & hasn't been too

bad in the few games that he played in. Eli Ankou is still listed on the roster. I think he's played in a few games but I don't know much about him. He's good size but maybe he's just a JAG. If they can sign another DT in free agency at a reasonable price, I'm all for that.

Opps---forgot about Oliver. I'm ok with trading Ed for cap reasons but I don't think we'll get more than a 4th which is ok with me to dump salary. Maybe we could trade him for another player. Cue the Carolina pipeline.

20 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I liked Edmunds, just the money didn't work. Only thing I can think of is a defensive scheme change or they have someone they are going to go after in the draft.🤷

There are all sorts of guys they can replace him with.  You don't have to believe me, just wait a while.

Our defense will miraculously look about the same with someone else in Edmunds' place.

31 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Happens all the time to the best teams. Seattle let Wagner walk. Jets let Revis go. Bills let Gilmore go. Endless examples. You just have to rebuild. 

2 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

lol nobody going to give up a 2nd for Ed Oliver.  If they do that teams GM should be fired on the spot. 

Probably so. Then he is better to keep one more year. 

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

There are all sorts of guys they can replace him with.  You don't have to believe me, just wait a while.

Our defense will miraculously look about the same with someone else in Edmunds' place.

I'll wait 36 days, but Not a day longer.😁

51 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

But, But, Edmunds sucked, anyone would be better. No instincts, bad against the run and can't make any splash plays. We should be able to sign someone off the street that's better. I've read it here for years now...

Sarcasm off.😉

Almost correct. He didn't suck but he was bad against the run and didn't make any plays. The best you could say is maybe he made a difference in the pass game. For years we heard Edmunds defenders say how important he was. Well now look a defensive minded HC just let him walk. Maybe just maybe we hearty few that called out his bad play for years were correct! 

Every position on an NFL team is important.  But other than Aaron Donald, is there a single DT in the NFL, that in the week leading up to playing that team fans (or coaches) are discussing "how are we going to handle that guy"?

11 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Almost correct. He didn't suck but he was bad against the run and didn't make any plays. The best you could say is maybe he made a difference in the pass game. For years we heard Edmunds defenders say how important he was. Well now look a defensive minded HC just let him walk. Maybe just maybe we hearty few that called out his bad play for years were correct! 

Sometimes it's just a business decision. I don't think he was nearly as bad as the "hearty few" say he was. I'll reserve final judgment until I know who takes his place and see how they do in the McD scheme. 

7 hours ago, mrags said:

Because he loves his team and is sick of them making terrible decisions that cost us games when we should be and could be better?

Have you ever, even once read a positive remark by him, that isn’t couched with a back handed comment? 
  Hell, I comment about the coaching and player short comings, regularly, but I am not a non stop whiny so and so for a decade plus, there is a difference between critiques, and endless doom and gloom. 

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Every position on an NFL team is important.  But other than Aaron Donald, is there a single DT in the NFL, that in the week leading up to playing that team fans (or coaches) are discussing "how are we going to handle that guy"?

Ten guy. Giants guy. 

chris jones 

cam heyward

Fletcher cox

9 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yep…I read it. The Bills will rebuild the DT position in free agency and the draft, NEXT year. They’re going to sit tight THIS year. Too many holes to fill this year to dwell on next year’s problems. 

Most likely.  Of course, if some guy is sticking out on their board Day 3, they should pick him.

But that would go for more than just the DT position.

The future of this team is going to be year to year, just like every other team with an expensive core already set.

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Have you ever, even once read a positive remark by him, that isn’t couched with a back handed comment? 
  Hell, I comment about the coaching and player short comings, regularly, but I am not a non stop whiny so and so for a decade plus, there is a difference between critiques, and endless doom and gloom. 

Technically he’s not wrong. Things have never gone our way. He’s just being realistic. 

but honestly, I couldn’t remember a single post anyone here makes. I have a memory for this place like 10 second Tom. Once I move on down the screen it’s already a distant memory. That goes for who posts what too. It takes a lot for me to remember any of you on here. 

12 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The Bills have D Jones, Oliver and Settle all in their final year.   Then they have a bunch of practice squad guys.  So not one guy under contract for 2024.   I don't hear a lot about DT as a need position, it is.  They should be looking in the draft to get younger, they should extend Daquon Jones if they can work that out.  Thoughts?

Beane has said that he likes to work on contract extensions after FA and the draft.  I expect after the draft they’ll work on extending Jones.

Oliver is a bit of a mystery to me.  I think he believes he should be paid full-time like a top DT, while playing like one part-time.  Beane talked as though extending Oliver and Davis would be something the team was saving for in letting Edmunds go.  Many have expressed concern that paying Oliver top-dollar on a new contract would be a mistake.,  I don’t know what the answer is.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Off the top of my head and in no particular order:

Q (Quinnen Williams) with the Jets

Chris Jones with KC

Daron Payne with Washingon

Javon Hargrove, was with Philly (now with SF?

Fletcher Cox with Philly (maybe more a few years ago than now)

DJ Reader with Bengals (has struggled with injuries 2 of the last 3 seasons, but when healthy)

• Disagree 1

I think the 1-tech is arguably more important that the 3 for the type of off-the-ball coverage type LBs McDermott prefers.  When opposing guards get their hands on our LB's it's not a good matchup.  I look at Jones and see someone who doesn't get redirected easily, foils plans, and does at least average at owning his interior gaps.  The 1-techs who can push a guy back contribute to the pass rush in their own less-flashy way.   Maybe I'm just a relic and like boring things but hearing about the endless slew of marginal 3-tech prospects with two NCAA level pass rush moves that "could play 1 tech if needed" doesn't excite me.

Bills in a much better position this year than last when they had no answer at 1-tech, but I'd like to see them draft a young Jones clone this year or next.   (Jones was a 4th round pick)

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Oliver will be in his last year

Defensive tackles in free agency this year are making a killing

We will probably extend our other DT but he’s getting older

What exactly would you suggest that we do?

I'm guessing we keep Oliver, myself. But certainly he might go.

I think we're also more likely than many think to grab at least one DT in the early to mid-rounds. 

And yeah, I'm all in on extending Da'Quan.

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Possible, I guess, but I doubt it myself. Most have not really noticed how few passes across the middle we've dealt with for so long, and how important that has been as a key to success. That's very likely to not look as good this year.

If we pick a 1st round MLB, maybe things won't be too much worse there, but we have several needs that could be addressed in the first. Several of them aren't going to be addressed.

39 minutes ago, In Summary said:

I think the 1-tech is arguably more important that the 3 for the type of off-the-ball coverage type LBs McDermott prefers.  When opposing guards get their hands on our LB's it's not a good matchup.  I look at Jones and see someone who doesn't get redirected easily, foils plans, and does at least average at owning his interior gaps.  The 1-techs who can push a guy back contribute to the pass rush in their own less-flashy way.   Maybe I'm just a relic and like boring things but hearing about the endless slew of marginal 3-tech prospects with two NCAA level pass rush moves that "could play 1 tech if needed" doesn't excite me.

Bills in a much better position this year than last when they had no answer at 1-tech, but I'd like to see them draft a young Jones clone this year or next.   (Jones was a 4th round pick)

You're talking my language here. Preach on!!

Edited by Thurman#1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.