What is the plan at DT?

Matt_In_NH

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Three options

1. Trade Oliver for a 2nd and draft another DT. They don't have the draft capital to spend on a DT at this point.

2. Sign Wagner to play MLB. Keep Oliver on the 5th year. Burn one of your draft picks on a DT.

3. Assuming no veteran MLB is signed, bring back Phillips or some other journeyman for the 4th DT and let Oliver play out his contract like they did with Edmunds. Draft a LB this year to replace Edmunds and draft DT in 2024. Only one of the first 4 picks should be used for defense.

3b. Trade out of the first round and get two day 2 picks. This allows you to get MLB, DT, WR, OT, C/G  in the first four rounds in no particular order.

lol nobody going to give up a 2nd for Ed Oliver.  If they do that teams GM should be fired on the spot. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Mazi Smith.😉

Love the guy, but this board would get Rosen'd if we did that.

3 hours ago, mrags said:

Because he loves his team and is sick of them making terrible decisions that cost us games when we should be and could be better?

He does?

Get max production out of Oliver in his contract year, especially with Jones next to him.   Jones will be extended for sure and Settle is already extended I believe.  So they'll have at lease Jones and Settle for 2024.   If Jordan Phillips is fully recovered from his shoulder injury , I expect him to be signed to replace Oliver, who will leave after this season for sure.  So they need another DT for 2024, they have several internal players to pick from, plus the upcoming draft.   

2 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Get max production out of Oliver in his contract year, especially with Jones next to him.   Jones will be extended for sure and Settle is already extended I believe.  So they'll have at lease Jones and Settle for 2024.   If Jordan Phillips is fully recovered from his shoulder injury , I expect him to be signed to replace Oliver, who will leave after this season for sure.  So they need another DT for 2024, they have several internal players to pick from, plus the upcoming draft.   

A fully healthy J. Phillips is far and away the best DT on this team. I'd prefer him next to Ed.

37 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

lol nobody going to give up a 2nd for Ed Oliver.  If they do that teams GM should be fired on the spot. 

QUICK! Somebody call the Browns! You never know with those Browns!     

43 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

Detroit has 2 2nd rounders and 48 would put us ahead of the Steelers. Texans have 2 3rds....ya never know, plus we could throw in a conditional 2024 pick.

8 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The Bills have D Jones, Oliver and Settle all in their final year.   Then they have a bunch of practice squad guys.  So not one guy under contract for 2024.   I don't hear a lot about DT as a need position, it is.  They should be looking in the draft to get younger, they should extend Daquon Jones if they can work that out.  Thoughts?

What's the plan at DT? I'm more worried about our MLB situation. We have no one there ready to play at least near the level of Edmunds.

I like Jones a lot, but I doubt they exercise Oliver's 5th year option, so I suspect they'll be looking for a 3-Tech in the draft. Unfortunately, our OL is a mess and we need help at WR. There's also a big hole in the middle of this defense. All of these shortcomings outweigh the immediate need for a DT. Maybe we draft DT and DE on day 3 this year. What we do in 2024 besides wave goodbye to Oliver when some team overpays him is anyone's guess.

8 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The Bills have D Jones, Oliver and Settle all in their final year.   Then they have a bunch of practice squad guys.  So not one guy under contract for 2024.   I don't hear a lot about DT as a need position, it is.  They should be looking in the draft to get younger, they should extend Daquon Jones if they can work that out.  Thoughts?

If Jones plays the way he did last season, my guess is that he re-signs at some point next year before Free Agency - if not sooner.  

The rest is up in the air.  Oliver will not be re-signed.  The Bills would be wise to trade him to for a mid round draft pick to get the $10M off the books and then either make a trade or sign a FA like Poona.  

Mark it down…I will not be shocked to see the Bills draft DT and LB in rounds 1 and 2

59 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

True....a 3rd round pick is probably the highest we'd get. I think we're kind of screwed and are going to just ride out Ed and Gabe's final "contract" year.  Maybe by some act of God they both play out of their minds and we go to a SB.  Or they both play like they always have and we wave goodbye in FA.  I doubt anyone's giving us a 3rd for either. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER

18 minutes ago, nosejob said:

A fully healthy J. Phillips is far and away the best DT on this team. I'd prefer him next to Ed.

Yes the issue with Phillips is can a 6'6' 350 lb guy manage to stay healthy.   

By the way JP is a quick, rush the passer, gap shooting 3 tech, which means he is a replacement for Oliver, not a guy who plays next to him.   Phillips needs a run stuffer kind of 1 tech DT with him to hold up against the run.   You rarely see Oliver and JP on the field at the same time.   I know, its weird a guy at JP's size is a 3 tech but he is that freaky of an athlete... now can he be healthy?   that is the question.   They'll examine him and see where the shoulder is and go from there. 

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

True....a 3rd round pick is probably the highest we'd get. I think we're kind of screwed and are going to just ride out Ed and Gabe's final "contract" year.  Maybe by some act of God they both play out of their minds and we go to a SB.  Or they both play like they always have and we wave goodbye in FA.  I doubt anyone's giving us a 3rd for either. 

I really think Beane intends to get a great season out of Oliver in his contract year, just like he did Edmunds, and hopefully he is a part of a SB run this coming season.   Then you make him a contract offer you are comfortable with but in all likelihood he gets more from somewhere else... or not

48 minutes ago, nosejob said:

Philips plays 3T like Ed as Philips can not hold up to double team blocks as a 1T.  These two can be in on pass rush downs and be effective 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

What's the plan at DT? I'm more worried about our MLB situation. We have no one there ready to play at least near the level of Edmunds.

But, But, Edmunds sucked, anyone would be better. No instincts, bad against the run and can't make any splash plays. We should be able to sign someone off the street that's better. I've read it here for years now...

Sarcasm off.😉

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.