What is the plan at DT?

Matt_In_NH

The Bills have D Jones, Oliver and Settle all in their final year.   Then they have a bunch of practice squad guys.  So not one guy under contract for 2024.   I don't hear a lot about DT as a need position, it is.  They should be looking in the draft to get younger, they should extend Daquon Jones if they can work that out.  Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Some rumors about Poona Ford, he is a 3 tech like Oliver. It is not a very impressive group left in free agency. 

They likely draft a guy as well. 

Agree on drafting at least one DT this year. I really like Ioannidis as a player but he is really more of an odd front DE. He’d be perfect if we were looking to widen the DTs, but I don’t see that happening. I wouldn't mind seeing Ford or Robinson added. 

1 minute ago, Airseven said:

The plan is to draft defensive front 7 early and often in predictable and depressing fashion.

Oliver will be in his last year

Defensive tackles in free agency this year are making a killing

We will probably extend our other DT but he’s getting older

What exactly would you suggest that we do?

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

try not to fail so badly at finding people to man that position so we're not looking for them every damned year

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

try not to fail so badly at finding people to man that position so we're not looking for them every damned year

That’s not a plan for what we’ve got going forward

Here we sit

Complaining about the past won’t do anything to help us right now

If people just wanna B word for the sake of bitching hey it’s a free message board

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Not really worry about defense since it doesn't particularly matter anymore, as you saw in the SB when two great defenses were both shredded. 

The most important thing in the draft, bar none, is getting Allen more protection on the offensive line. If he starts getting time, we start scoring 35+ points/game.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

That’s not a plan for what we’ve got going forward

Here we sit

Complaining about the past won’t do anything to help us right now

If people just wanna B word for the sake of bitching hey it’s a free message board

In fairness, my plan (replacement of the front office) wasn't accepted.

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Not really worry about defense since it doesn't particularly matter anymore, as you saw in the SB when two great defenses were both shredded. 

The most important thing in the draft, bar none, is getting Allen more protection on the offensive line. If he starts getting time, we start scoring 35+ points/game.

I hope for more offense as well

We need to be careful not to overdraft guys because of it

Just now, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

OK, so we're good with total failure to address holes.

Got it.

13-3

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

One of the more perplexing positional units on this team.  

No one under contract past this year.   Still one player short for our rotation, unless the plan is to roll with a PS guy as DT4. 

-The obvious extension candidate, and only consistently good DT.. Daquan Jones.. not extended yet.

-10M cap hit for an undersized, inconsistent, yet talented DT on his 5th year option.

-One year left for a guy who took a pay cut to stay and played out of position much of last year in Tim Settle.  

Not gonna lie... I hate so much about how they've gone about this unit thus far.  

Daquan Jones is very good.  I have no idea if Tim Settle is effective because the Bills constantly find themselves playing DT's out of position (Settle now, Jefferson a few years ago).  I want nothing to do with Ed Oliver at 10M now, or in the future.  

Just trade Ed and sign/draft some big bodies.  

Can't wait to see Ed get swallowed up by bigger Offensive Lineman as they easily work their way to the second level and maul Bernard and Taron Johnson (or a rookie MLB).

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.