Bills re-sign OT Quessenberry

Warriorspikes51

29 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I've been saying all along that we're going to sign a David Quessenberry level OT, or simply bring back Quessenberry himself, and Draft an OT in the mid rounds. Have a competition between the 3. One would start, one would be a Swing Tackle, and one would replace Tommy Doyle.

If you listened to Beane at all, he was never going to outright replace Spencer Brown. He's consistently said he feels him having to have back surgery in the Offseason, not having a Training Camp, and being nicked up throughout the season was the cause of him underperforming. And there may be some merit in that.

Beane's covering his bases in the event Brown does become a long term issue. But he was never giving up on him. People who were expecting that were fooling themselves. There was never going to be an Orlando Brown level signing to outright replace him.

I dont see Brown being a "long term issue"...

If Brown doesnt improve this year then he will be gone...Just like Ford who they persevered with longer than they should have hoping he would "come good", but 3 years was enough to get the message...

Its a big roll of the dice that Brown will improve.. but maybe Beane will get lucky...

3 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I dont see Brown being a "long term issue"...

If Brown doesnt improve this year then he will be gone...Just like Ford who they persevered with longer than they should have hoping he would "come good", but 3 years was enough to get the message...

Its a big roll of the dice that Brown will improve.. but maybe Beane will get lucky...

Beanes get lucky ? We ALL get lucky 😊

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Process said:

I really hope this isn't a sign of faith in Brown as a starter. Ideally he would be the one to fill the role of primary back/swing tackle and we would find a starter that isn't a complete turnstile. 

But if Q comes cheap then it wouldn't be bad to have both him and Brown as backups and this would be a nice signing/depth.

Hopefully they still bring in someone that can at least compete and push for the starting job.

Methinks Beane is in love with Brown's athletism and he ain't going anywhere.  He's betting on Brown being healthy and taking a step next season. I am not as optimistic. 

• Sad 1

Well, I'd take Quessenberry over Bobby Hart.  I'm OK with this if they aren't locked into guaranteed money.  Sign him, then look for someone who is better.  Let him compete and if he can't win a competition, cut him and you've lost nothing.  If you can't get anyone better because of the cap, at least you have a bit of insurance.

2 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Methinks Beane is in love with Brown's athletism and he ain't going anywhere.  He's betting on Brown being healthy and taking a step next season. I am not as optimistic. 

He scored a perfect 10 right on the RAS score which gets Beane fully pumping the throat yogurt..?

Unfortunately its all natural athletic ability and not much actual college experience at Northern Iowa in the middle of the Covid shutdown.. ...

But Beane still has confidence in him...

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

He scored a perfect 10 right on the RAS score which gets Beane fully pumping the throat yogurt..?

Unfortunately its all natural athletic ability and not much actual college experience at Northern Iowa in the middle of the Covid shutdown.. ...

But Beane still has confidence in him...

I think this is accurate
And it also gives me hope for Spencer Brown, who has all the tools and does need more experience

2 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Like the majority of our OL, solid depth guy.

Finding good offensive lineman is so hard to begin with if a player is solid they are solid really hard to find those dominant guys. There will be several free agents this year that by the end of the year will not earn their contracts.

That’s why we should be drafting them. With as many at bats as possible

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Just saw a bizarre stat. In 2021 Quessenberry led the NFL giving up 11 sacks. Yet PFF gave him a 81.  How is that possible?

Because their OL grades are BS. It’s the most difficult position to grade and analyze. 

Some of the stuff they do is great. They miss the mark on OL imo.

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Just saw a bizarre stat. In 2021 Quessenberry led the NFL giving up 11 sacks. Yet PFF gave him a 81.  How is that possible?

Maybe we should develop a better running game :rolleyes:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I like the way Beane refuses to tie his hands in the draft.   He will pick the BPA, knowing he already has enough players in each of his rooms for this season.  

McBeanes are playing the long game.  I like it.  

Just now, ProcessTruster said:

I like the way Beane refuses to tie his hands in the draft.   He will pick the BPA, knowing he already has enough players in each of his rooms for this season.   Re Spencer Brown, the guy was coming into the regular season completely cold after back surgery.   He'll be better this season after having an offseason of completely healthy preparation.   

McBeanes are playing the long game.  They shot their cap wad on shiny broken object with the half attached ACL Von M last year and got smoked.  Not this year.  

I like it.  Go Bills. 

17 hours ago, NewEra said:

He’s a backup OT.  

Show me a backup OT and I’ll show you an OT that isn’t good.   Every backup lineman is  pretty bad….. if they weren’t bad, they’d be signing somewhere as a starter.

One example: The entire Bengals 2nd string OL dominated our DL during the biggest game of the year.  They looked pretty good to me.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Completely agree. Quessenberry damn near ended Josh's season. I don't like him backing up either side. We better land 2 OL guys in the first 4 rounds or it will be a big middle finger to Josh.

The reality is that comments like this are a big middle finger to Josh.  Josh is not Jack Eichel.  The organization does not exist to try to pacify him.  That is why Josh > Jack and we don't need to worry about him throwing tantrums.  Let Beane do his work.  You don't go to camp in March and you don't go to camp with 50 guys all written in ink for roster spots.  Josh also has about 240 million reasons to understand the constraints that Beane is forced to operate within.  I suspect that instead of seeing middle fingers, he understands that the list of OL backups and camp bodies will not look like a Pro Bowl roster.

Edited by cwater10
  • Vomit 1

13 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

One example: The entire Bengals 2nd string OL dominated our DL during the biggest game of the year.  They looked pretty good to me.  

And bad against everybody else

The bills had a bad day

8 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

How can anyone be even slightly content with this signing. 

You get told the same ***** and you keep on repeating it you’re either being intentionally obtuse or you just don’t get it

He’s not signed to be a starter. He’s signed because it’s hard to find offense of lineman that are even quality back ups.

• Eyeroll 1

17 hours ago, Snappysnackcakes said:

Guys - you can do a whole helluva lot worse at swing tackle than Q. Hell, he can handle 4 of the 5 OLine spots. Be thankful that he’s being brought to camp and, if someone outplays him, he’ll garner a draft pick. 

Signing guys for OL is ok but he can't handle 4 of 5 spots and no way we get a draft pick for him

14 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I am really sickened by your post.  Big mistake just committing to Spencer Brown.  We can only hope they can coach the kid up.  Because he has sucked.  And is usually injured.  I don't know what to say about Quissenberry.  He plays like he is stuck in quicksand.  

Quicksandburied?

37 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

And bad against everybody else

The bills had a bad day

You get told the same ***** and you keep on repeating it you’re either being intentionally obtuse or you just don’t get it

He’s not signed to be a starter. He’s signed because it’s hard to find offense of lineman that are even quality back ups.

News flash: Sometimes backup OL have to play.  Not wanting the season ruined and franchise QB injured because my backups can’t do what they’re paid to do is not being “obtuse”.  Since you like to use unoriginal movie quotes, I’ll keep this in geometric terms.  Having a competent backup is taking the “right angle” to keeping your QB healthy.

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.