Goodell Set to get a Raise

T&C

1 minute ago, MJS said:

I'm not sure what exactly Goodell has done to make everyone hate him, honestly.

I think he is exceptional at getting booed. I mean, he’s All World there! 

Everybody makes mistakes, and he’s made his too. He takes crap for the owners for a very nice living.  But there are a LOT of people out there who just don’t like others having so much wealth. I don’t resent wealthy people. I’d like to be one some day!  Sadly, my PowerBall adventure failed us, and I even got a ticket. 

2 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Is he getting paid in Euros, Pounds or Pesos ?

😁

Or did he pull an OBJ and go crypto??? 

Oops. 

40 minutes ago, Augie said:

Actually funny, but I must say…..

He was willingly given a raise by the billionaire owners he works for. Have you ever apologized for getting a raise? I never heard he was holding out or anything. That’s change in the couch for these owners.  🤷‍♂️

NOW, are people  shocked by the number of digits and comma’s in his salary? You bet!  It’s natural. I get that. But at the same time look at the salaries of the heads of the biggest businesses in the country/world and it gives some perspective. The NFL is one giant arse money printing machine. It’s a lot of money, but it doesn’t shock me. I wonder if his contract is tied to gross revenue, ratings and bottom the line.  One bite out of an elephant can be plenty. 

Can't argue that point. I've never turned down a raise, even the ones I didn't deserve. 😝 If he was to oversee and manage Fortune 500 companies with the same success as the NFL he'd probably be even more wealthy.

Edited by billsbackto81

He has spread the game internationally and makes the owners more money. There’s even a new TV deal so the games is more accessible. I was at the draft in Vegas and it was fun as hell to “Boo” him but look what he turned that event into, huge money making event. ***** him, but he’s better than Bettman

17 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The league is making a ton of money, is setup to make even more money in the very near future, and Goodell consistently is the fall guy that takes the heat for the owners.

With those being the primary function of his job, I'm not sure I'd say he's doing a lousy job.

He makes unpopular moves, but they are popular with his bosses, and that's what counts for him.

He works for the owners, who are the members of the association (called the NFL) .   Owners happy, he gets rewarded.  Owners are happy.   Pretty simple formula.  

Easily the best Commissioner of any league.  Takes all the punches for Terry and the fellas while the NFL sucks up all the sports fan oxygen in the country----while the owners  can't stop printing more and more money while they hole up in their star chamber....

Bettman lords over a long ago once proud league that struggles for relevance.

Manfred is watching his league headed in the same direction.  MLB is background noise.

Silver gets walked all over by the 10 or so players that run his  league----a collection of drama, and scads of mediocre talent.

• Like (+1) 1

He's commissioner of the most popular sport in the country with revenues around $18B a year . Signed up youtube TV with Sunday Ticket for $2B a year.  The league is now in the news cycle year round. The draft is a huge event where cities are bidding for it. He takes all the heat off the owners. He deserves whatever he gets

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Easily the best Commissioner of any league.  Takes all the punches for Terry and the fellas while the NFL sucks up all the sports fan oxygen in the country----while the owners  can't stop printing more and more money while they hole up in their star chamber....

Bettman lords over a long ago once proud league that struggles for relevance.

Manfred is watching his league headed in the same direction.  MLB is background noise.

Silver gets walked all over by the 10 or so players that run his  league----a collection of drama, and scads of mediocre talent.

Manfred is killing baseball.

Edited by nucci
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, nucci said:

He's commissioner of the most popular sport in the country with revenues around $18B a year . Signed up youtube TV with Sunday Ticket for $2B a year.  The league is now in the news cycle year round. The draft is a huge event where cities are bidding for it. He takes all the heat off the owners. He deserves whatever he gets

Manfred is killing baseball.

This.

people down on Goodell don’t understand his job.  The fact that they direct all their displeasure at him for issues they have with the league is proof of  how good he is at what his bosses expect him to do for them. 

20 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The league is making a ton of money, is setup to make even more money in the very near future, and Goodell consistently is the fall guy that takes the heat for the owners.

With those being the primary function of his job, I'm not sure I'd say he's doing a lousy job.

He makes unpopular moves, but they are popular with his bosses, and that's what counts for him.

For some reason, fans of the sport seem to think Goodell works for THEM.  He doesn't.  He works for the owners as you state.  And by that standard, he's doing a fine job.

If players are making up to $50 million a year, you know the people that own the league and control it are making a hell of a lot more than that! 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.