Offensive outlook post Free Agency

HaldimandBills

We brought in warm bodies. Harris isn't better than Singletary, just different. He's a better fit, but I don't see him having any more impact than Singletary did. The rest of the guys we signed, I honestly hope don't see the field much because they just aren't good. I assume Sherfield and Hasty will be big on ST though. I am truly disappointed that McGovern is eating up over $7 million of our cap space, thus preventing any upgrades from being brought in. To me, the only impactful FA signing other than McGovern's negative impact is bringing Poyer back. I hope we can sign at least an average ILB so we aren't tempted to waste a 1st round pick on a LB. A big upgrade and preferably 2 or 3 on the OL would have a huge impact on Josh and the entire offense. Obviously, several upgrades on the OL is extremely unlikely, so I worry that the team could slip backwards in 2023.

Edited by GreggTX

26 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

We brought in warm bodies. Harris isn't better than Singletary, just different. He's a better fit, but I don't see him having any more impact than Singletary did. The rest of the guys we signed, I honestly hope don't see the field much because they just aren't good. I assume Sherfield and Hasty will be big on ST though. I am truly disappointed that McGovern is eating up over $7 million of our cap space, thus preventing any upgrades from being brought in. To me, the only impactful FA signing other than McGovern's negative impact is bringing Poyer back. I hope we can sign at least an average ILB so we aren't tempted to waste a 1st round pick on a LB. A big upgrade and preferably 2 or 3 on the OL would have a huge impact on Josh and the entire offense. Obviously, several upgrades on the OL is extremely unlikely, so I worry that the team could slip backwards in 2023.

You are presuming McGovern is a wasted investment. A number of longtime posters on this board who know personnel believe he has genuine upside and is at least a competent guard. Despite the fact that you are GreggTX with I surmise some awareness of the Cowboys' roster, I'm going to give more credence to their opinions, especially as they do not exhibit a consistent penchant to opt for the negative. Sherfield should be both a ST contributor and someone who could provide legitimate WR3 contributions. If Harty can stay healthy, he provides a home run threat.  They might not work out, but they are not utterly worthless signings to be dismissed out-of-hand. Ideally, you find a way to get a more dangerous WR2, draft at least one early round ol addition, and then add a TE2 who can both block and catch.  None of that is impossible.

Edited by Dr. Who

On 3/21/2023 at 9:20 AM, harmonkillebrew said:

Unless we get Bobby Wagner or some other short-term vet, I think Beane has to go LB with the 1st, maybe wait till the 2nd. It's the QB of the D.

As much as I love Jack Campbell's highlights, I can't see Beane going LB in the first. He just drafted Bernard in the third last year knowing he would likely need an Edmunds replacement in one year. What a blunder that would be. 

24 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

As much as I love Jack Campbell's highlights, I can't see Beane going LB in the first. He just drafted Bernard in the third last year knowing he would likely need an Edmunds replacement in one year. What a blunder that would be. 

I get the feeling that Bernard was never drafted as a Tremaine replacement. He is not a mike. He was drafted to add depth and special teams ability while maybe eventually replacing Milano. They didn't have a backup will. 

Either that or he was drafted as the third linebacker in 3 linebacker sets to be the Shaq Thompson. With McDermott taking over the D, we could see more 4-3 under sets (Johnson would come off the Field and Bernard on...big nickel-type concept.) 

He was highly recommended by Dave Aranda and McDermott probably really wanted him in the building. Was it short-sighted or a bad pick? It is too early to tell. What makes it a bad pick is the guys they missed out on to draft him. 

IMHO he was not drafted to be a Mike...if they wanted a mike I figure they would have taken Leo Chenal or Brandon Smith who went a little later. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.