Offensive outlook post Free Agency

HaldimandBills

The first week of Free Agency is over and we are beginning to see where Beane felt the Bills came up short offensively. 

The Deonte Harty and Trent Sherfield signings are an indication to me that the Bills felt they weren't dynamic enough at receiver. We now have two guys with wheels who can also create their own space against zone defenses.

The only mystery to me is why Shakir was not given a bigger role last season after it became evident Mckenzie was a liability against zone defenses? My guess is they needed Mckenzie as that twitchy slot receiver and Shakir was looked at as the # 3 outside receiver. I think it is expected Shakir takes a big step and plays a larger role in the offense moving forward.

Those looking for a receiver early on in the draft will be disappointed. I believe Beane still thinks Gabe Davis is a #2 receiver and that he let him and Diggs down by having such a weak group behind them. In a cap world you have to be strategic with your upgrades and improving your # 3/4/5 receivers will ultimately improve Gabe Davis's numbers as well. I am not saying I necessarily agree with this thinking but...

The fastest way for this offense to improve is to improve the oline and the Bills have already taken that step by handing McGovern a big contract. Watching the Bills near the end of last year you could see alot of their offensive play calling was tanked from poor oline play. That might be more of an indictment on our coaches but will never know what Allen's limitations and abilities were with that partially torn UCL. 

Those wanting olinemen in Round 1 or 2 are going to be happy because this is the direction I think Beane is going to go. I think Brown needs to be replaced and I'd be looking Right Tackle in Round 1 but I could also see the Bills wanting to upgrade on Bates and instead taking a guard. O'Cyrus Torrence would be my target in Round 1 and Steve Avila could be a Round 2 trade up target if Beane goes elsewhere in round 1.

I am hoping Dawson Knox has a rebound season and he shouldn't be held accountable for having a down year after the tragic events of last summer. 

The running game seems fairly standard. By improving the oline you expect improved play from Cook and Hines. Harris finally gives us a back who can actually gain tough yards in short yardage situations. It would be nice for our RB's to run the ball for 1st downs instead of Allen risking his health on 3rd and 3. Heck maybe will actually see some screens to our backs this season with improved olinemen.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It just boils down to this: The Bills thought certain guys (Davis, McKenzie, Saffold, Moss, Spencer Brown, Ryan Bates) would step up and be adequate to good contributors on the offense, and none of them stepped up to a level that was acceptable for a team of this caliber.  They've made some low end upgrades, and they still have faith apparently in Davis, Brown, and Bates in that they didn't go replace them.

I think the offense is slightly better. Slightly better might be enough to make things way less clunky. It's hard to say. I want to see more offensive investment via the draft. G/C, WR, TE, T... any of those early would be a boon, but you've got to remember that McD absolutely refuses to play rookies. 

Solid assessment!  I agree that the moves have been upgrades at the positions.  I like Harty and Sherfield's potential and Harris is the Hammer that Zach Moss wasn't.  Hines, Cook and Harris should all be active on Game Days.  I am looking forward to an expanded role for Hines.  He offers some versatility, especially in WR or RB screen games.  Hines on a Tunnel Screen would be Deadly if we could block it.

• Like (+1) 2

I feel a lot better.  The analysts and scouts that I pay attention to like both of the WR we’ve added a lot.  Consensus was meh on  McGovern and I haven’t heard much about Harris but I think he’ll be our best and most compete back in years if he stays healthy.  
Id still love to add 2 OL, a TE and a slot through the draft.  

5 minutes ago, wppete said:

Would like to see OBJ or a WR on the 1st round at the draft. We need to keep loading up with weapons for Josh. 

I'm with you but I think this regime has grown tired of Josh running for his life every 2nd play and our backs always having to make their own holes. 

A bad oline will always tank any decent offense outside the 2021 Bengals.

3 minutes ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

I feel a lot better.  The analysts and scouts that I pay attention to like both of the WR we’ve added a lot.  Consensus was meh on  McGovern and I haven’t heard much about Harris but I think he’ll be our best and most compete back in years if he stays healthy.  

We only have 6 picks. The OL talent in this draft is poor outside the top two Rounds which is why I think they grab one early. This is definitely a good draft to grab a Tight end or slot in the middle rounds. We still need to use some picks on the defense. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

Harty > McKenzie

Sherfield > Kumerow

Harris > Singletary

Not earth shattering moves but all are upgrades.  I don’t think this takes them out of the running for WR at 27

We could take a TE at 27 too since we have not much behind Knox. 

• Like (+1) 1

Draft someone like Matthew Bergeron who could compete with Brown and can potentially move inside to guard. I still think signing OBJ makes a lot of sense. Then go get a TE who can block well and is some threat as a receiver. 12 personnel requires two good tight ends and right now only Knox qualifies. 

• Like (+1) 1

The question is, will Beane draft more O-line within the first three picks, as it stands presently we still need to fill Edmunds spot, in FA or the draft, so it’s likely that one of those first three picks goes to the defense if no FA is signed to fill that role, plus, we could stand another WR2 level selection,  I am not so confident Beane will use two of those pick on O-linemen, which means one in the top three picks, and PS level lower picks for the line, so far we have seen incremental improvement with FA signings, which is good, it is needed, but, the O line needs more attention if we want to see improved post season success.

GO  BILLS!!! 

16 minutes ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

We also need a LB, DT and S. I expect a few more of these cheap vets will be added so not relying on rookies. I like the idea of Shell at RT, Lawson at DE and Phillips at DT to shore up depth. 

8 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

The question is, will Beane draft more O-line within the first three picks, as it stands presently we still need to fill Edmunds spot, in FA or the draft, so it’s likely that one of those first three picks goes to the defense if no FA is signed to fill that role, plus, we could stand another WR2 level selection,  I am not so confident Beane will use two of those pick on O-linemen, which means one in the top three picks, and PS level lower picks for the line, so far we have seen incremental improvement with FA signings, which is good, it is needed, but, the O line needs more attention if we want to see improved post season success.

GO  BILLS!!! 

I think he will only use one pick on oline in this draft as we only have 6 and the oline talent drops off quickly in this draft. Doyle is still a project and who knows how much Browns back injury actually affected his play last year. I'd only be looking Right Tackle in Round 1 otherwise give me a guard to replace Bates. 

5 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

We also need a LB, DT and S. I expect a few more of these cheap vets will be added so not relying on rookies. I like the idea of Shell at RT, Lawson at DE and Phillips at DT to shore up depth. 

I think we find a value signing to replace Edmunds. Off Ball Mac backers aren't a premium. I think we address DL in Round 1 or 2 with the other pick being OL in Round 1 or 2. 

Still a lot of vet. Ends floating out there. Philips I'd like to have back, I'm just scared by his injuries. 

Edited by HaldimandBills

Just now, HaldimandBills said:

I think we find a value signing to replace Edmunds. Off Ball Mac backers aren't a premium. I think we address DL in Round 1 or 2 with the other pick being OL on Round 1 or 2. 

Still a lot of vet. Ends floating out there. Philips I'd like to have back, I'm just scared by his injuries. 

True Phillips plus a young guy be nice.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, HaldimandBills said:

Those wanting olinemen in Round 1 or 2 are going to be happy because this is the direction I think Beane is going to go. I think Brown needs to be replaced and I'd be looking Right Tackle in Round 1 but I could also see the Bills wanting to upgrade on Bates and instead taking a guard. O'Cyrus Torrence would be my target in Round 1 and Steve Avila could be a Round 2 trade up target if Beane goes elsewhere in round 1.

I don't think Beane has any intention of replacing Spencer Brown at this point based how he went on and on about how he was impressed with his progress in his most recent presser.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

24 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

We could take a TE at 27 too since we have not much behind Knox. 

They could but i don’t see the value in a #2 tight end that high in the draft.   Especially in this offense when they don’t use the one they paid 10 million to. 

Edited by GolfandBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

They could but i don’t see the value in a #2 tight end that high in the draft.   Especially in this offense when they don’t use the one they paid 10 million to. 

I think it will be Kuntz in round 5 or 6....  not round 1.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.