Bills sign Damien Harris

aristocrat

1 hour ago, 1onemangang7 said:

That's good? 🤣 Allen just became a very dangerous weapon with a competent runner back there with him. Let's hope it lasts all season.

No it’s not good… it’s great, the more the ball is in his hands the better, you disagree and that’s ok. I like have the most talented QB in the league handing the ball off as little as possible.

4 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Singletary has not been a difference maker for us.  He has been solid at times.  But not the reason we have been a top team.  He has a low ceiling based on what he has shown.  No reason to resign him for 3-4 million.  Damion Harris has been solid and sometimes more then that.  At least against us.  He has a little more pop then Singletary.  Sometimes you have to reshuffle the deck.  Noone should be complaining about this move.  At least the signing of Harris and Sherfield shows that Beane is at least awake.

The general consensus on this message board since the debacle two months ago against the Bengals in the playoffs is that Beane and McDermott have not built a good enough team around Josh Allen.  There is a sense of frustration, desperation for some (yes you Iron Maiden Bills-love the guys user name, but where his head is in the thread he started last nite is way too far gone!) and some angst for most of us.  We are all huge Bills and football fans.  We think management has not stepped up like they should have.  And the trust of Beane's judgment seems at an all time low.  Understandable to a degree.  But looking at players like Damion Harris, he is a good addition to any team.  Good football players (which the guy is) only make your team better.  We just need to find some good football players who are big and play on the lines.  That is where we have fallen short.

I agree with you. But I think you agree with me too—they are changing it up a bit mostly for the sake of not standing pat. Again, not a big change here, but overall I’ll take Singletary as the better football player. 

9 minutes ago, 1onemangang7 said:

Is that a dig. You watch the games or go play golf. If he's right then the Bills ride Allen til everyone blames him for not being able to carry all the way.. don't have a different opinion with those people 

It’s not a dig it’s a fact.  It’s virtually impossible to have logical conversations with people nowadays. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hsker4life said:

They are two different style of backs. Cook and Hines give us the skills Devin has. Devin, Cook, and Hines all lack the power running ability that Harris brings. 

Disagree with the first part: Cook and Hines can’t motor their way through tacklers like Singletary. They are not similar other than being “not classic power backs.”

Agree with the second part, and that’s what they have to be hoping for here. A classic power back. I’m just skeptical that they found one who’ll be a significant upgrade over Motor. 

1 minute ago, GolfandBills said:

It’s not a dig it’s a fact.  It’s virtually impossible to have logical conversations with people nowadays. 

How much more logic do ya need.  Ypc is only an argument for people still wearing the uniform.  Singletarys 4.6 gets no mention.  The offensive line should get zero blame with such hefty averages. They don't need to give ya anything but an inferior product when you embrace it. Join Julian in a fantasy stat world. Personally I'd like to see a winner .

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

Disagree with the first part: Cook and Hines can’t motor their way through tacklers like Singletary. They are not similar other than being “not classic power backs.”

Agree with the second part, and that’s what they have to be hoping for here. A classic power back. I’m just skeptical that they found one who’ll be a significant upgrade over Motor. 

Harris + Cook + Hines gives you more than Motor + Cook + Hines. You start overthinking this when you dwell on draft positions from 4 years ago. 

• Agree 2

37 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

The Bills took 2 off-seasons to fix cap issues from the previous regime and put themselves right back there 4 seasons later  If people want to understand why, a lack of vision on draft day is a contributing cause to that issue.    

Singletary and Moss cost RD3 picks, albeit were on rookie contracts.  They ultimately replaced both with veterans in Harris and Hines who cost more in cap than a rookie contract player would.  They continue doubling down at RB and then cry how they're cap poor.  In 7 off-seasons, they've re-signed McCoy, signed UFAs like Tolbert, DiMarco, Ivory, Gore, Yeldon, Breida, and now Harris.  All while using 3 top-100 picks on RBs.        

Is it that hard to identify a player in the 4th-7th rounds or via UDFA that can offer production on a rookie contract so they can start investing in WR's at the top of the draft?  It shouldn't be, but then again RD1 seems reserved for QB's and defensive players.  

They're not dealing with cap issues because of the RB position.   Singletary is a legit NFL caliber RB, and we could have re-signed him.  We chose not to.  Instead we are spending small cap hits on Hines and, presumably, Harris, on short term deals.  Not an issue.

I do think Shakir and Davis are RD3 caliber prospects who fell.   My issue is the lack on RD1/RD2 Offensive picks (See Below)

The cap issue comes into focus solely due to the misses on the Defensive Line.   20M in cap AAV tied up in Von Miller because Epenesa and Basham didn't hit, while Oliver is not a difference maker and Rousseau (while promising) is more of a DE2.

2-1's and 2-2nd's, 4 premium picks in recent years, and we still had to pay Von to give us a high level pass rush.  

Furthermore, those picks were spent on the DL, and could have been used elsewhere.. say OL, where we wouldn't have to spend 7-8M per year on McGovern.

End of the day, the guys they have truly spent on (Cap Hit & Term)... 

-Josh Allen

-Stefon Diggs

-Dion Dawkins

-Mitch Morse

-Dawson Knox

-Von Miller

-Tre White

-Micah Hyde

-Jordan Poyer

-Matt Milano

If Milano continues on his trajectory and the other 4 come back healthy in '23... this Defense, on paper, is elite. (provided MLB isn't a disaster)

I'm not going to criticize Beane for spending on a top tier pass rusher and top tier corner because they suffered major injuries after getting paid.  It's bad luck and we have to hope they can get back to 90% of what they were pre-injury... If they do, those investments look as intended.  

The DL draft picks though.. they are the issue.  That's why we have minor cap issues (our cap issues are not major, fwiw).

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I agree with you. But I think you agree with me too—they are changing it up a bit mostly for the sake of not standing pat. Again, not a big change here, but overall I’ll take Singletary as the better football player. 

Singletary does not have good hands catching passes.  I think he was a liability there.  I know Harris started at RB at Bama which says he has ability.  And when I have watched him he has been pretty solid.  I always want to be hopeful about the free agents we sign hoping they will be real good players for the Bills.  Some are like Cole Beasley and John Brown, and some have not as much as we hoped like Mario Addison and Tyler Kroft, LOL

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

min not going to sit here and start listing names. I’m just going to say they need to do better around Allen doing whatever it takes. 

as to the last paragraph I don’t think they make the team better. They make it the same. The same isn’t good enough. Like maybe the guard they got is slightly better. Maybe they did slightly better than McKenzie as well. We aren’t slightly better away from a SB like the last two years anymore though. 

however I will add that I think obj or Hopkins would instantly be the second best receiver on the team even past their prime. I wouldnt break bank for em but they would still be big upgrades. A big upgrade is what the team needs. Not just lateral wash moves. 

You hit the nail on the head.  You wouldn't break the bank for them and neither will Beane, or any other NFL GM.  OBJ is not signed because no team is willing to pay what he's asking for, given his injury history, age, and perhaps his (arguably) disruptive personality.  The longer he goes unsigned, the lower the price tag.  As far as I know, Hopkins is still under contract with the Cardinals, so adding him not only costs a high salary, it also costs assets to acquire the player.  This is why the Bills have signed less-well-known guys like Harty and Sherfield and not big names like OBJ and Hopkins.

In my opinion, more OL help is much more important than more WR help at this point.  I'd be happy with a talented young WR in the early rounds of the draft, but I also think that if Allen has plenty of time to throw and the Bills are able to run the ball effectively, the offense will be fine with the WR room as it is.  I'm not opposed to adding WR talent if it can be acquired and there's always room for improvement, I don't see it as the biggest need.  OL is a bigger need.  And they also need a starting-caliber linebacker to replace Edmunds. 

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

UGA always has a nice stable of running backs, so the load is normally spread out. I expect Cook will get more carries this year with Singletary gone. I think Harris is largely for short yardage and goal line situations. As I said, this year should clarify which of us has a better read on Cook.

I’d like to see a package with both in there. Open up some possibilities and keep the defense guessing. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, SCBills said:

They're not dealing with cap issues because of the RB position.   Singletary is a legit NFL caliber RB, and we could have re-signed him.  We chose not to.  Instead we are spending small cap hits on Hines and, presumably, Harris, on short term deals.  Not an issue.

I do think Shakir and Davis are RD3 caliber prospects who fell.   My issue is the lack on RD1/RD2 Offensive picks (See Below)

The cap issue comes into focus solely due to the misses on the Defensive Line.   20M in cap AAV tied up in Von Miller because Epenesa and Basham didn't hit, while Oliver is not a difference maker and Rousseau (while promising) is more of a DE2.

2-1's and 2-2nd's, 4 premium picks in recent years, and we still had to pay Von to give us a high level pass rush.  

Furthermore, those picks were spent on the DL, and could have been used elsewhere.. say OL, where we wouldn't have to spend 7-8M per year on McGovern.

The DL draft picks though.. they are the issue.  That's why we have minor cap issues (our cap issues are not major, fwiw).

The RB mis-handling is a contributing cause of their cap problemsNot a root cause.  

The DL prioritization under McD's to include overpaid and undereffective UFA's along with pedestrian draft picks are another contributing cause though, yes.  

Their cap issues were not minor.... they were 19.6M over the cap before all the re-structures, good for 26th in the NFL.  

2 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

The RB mis-handling is a contributing cause of their cap problemsNot a root cause.  

The DL prioritization under McD's to include overpaid and undereffective UFA's along with pedestrian draft picks are another contributing cause though, yes.  

Their cap issues were not minor.... they were 19.6M over the cap before all the re-structures, good for 26th in the NFL.  

That's life with an elite QB.  

The Von Miller & Tre White contracts are the only really potentially arduous contracts on this team.. and much of that is due to us hoping they can be 90% of what they were pre-injury moving forward. 

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I just don’t think we are a team that works like that anymore.  We have our prioritized positions that we pay, and then the rest of the team will be rookies and one year deal guys.  

RBs are a dime a dozen to us based on this regime.  With needing to upgrade MLB and offensive line (Beane’s words), I can’t imagine them not prioritizing them in the first 3 rounds.  If Beane doesn’t put high picks into those positions, takes a chance on high potential guys, and they fail to contribute, then I think that’s a really bad look.  

Beane IMHO has always stayed trued to their board and gone with BPA and I don't expect that to be much different this draft personally.  And I have a hard time seeing anyone else as BPA if Bijan lasted to 27, but then again you never know how teams truly grade these guys on their personal boards.

35 minutes ago, Hsker4life said:

Harris + Cook + Hines gives you more than Motor + Cook + Hines. You start overthinking this when you dwell on draft positions from 4 years ago. 

I get that idea. And I hope it works. The counter is, of course, “why are the Bills acquiring a bunch of undersized RBs (slash WRs) that compel them to bring in a bigger back because they have no confidence that the little guys can run between the tackles?” But having already embarked on that course, each subsequent move is already dictated. 

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Beane IMHO has always stayed trued to their board and gone with BPA and I don't expect that to be much different this draft personally.  And I have a hard time seeing anyone else as BPA if Bijan lasted to 27, but then again you never know how teams truly grade these guys on their personal boards.

If what you're saying is indeed accurate with regards to Beane going BPA true to his board, then we have major issues in the scouting department putting the big boards together. Especially looking at Basham over Humphrey.

I dont think he has gone with pure BPA as much as he, like almost every other team, goes BPA at position of need.

I think that is evidenced by Beane trading up 2 picks to get Elam in an act of semi-desperation right after watching McDuffie (his true target) go off the board and there not being many CBs with 1st round grades left. He traded up to 23 to get the best player left at a position of immediate need instead of staying at 25 and taking BPA.

Granted, none of us are in the war room and certainly not in Beane's head, so we're just guessing. But this is how the situation read to me as it played out.

• Like (+1) 2

He’s a solid runner. Solid pickup and will save Allen on the goal line.

only thing I don’t love is that because he rarely catches the ball, does it make the offense a little predictable? I would love to just see a stud 3 down back next to Allen and see what they can do. Imagine if drafted the next Henry in thr 2nd next to Allen?

but this is a fine signing. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He’s a solid runner. Solid pickup and will save Allen on the goal line.

only thing I don’t love is that because he rarely catches the ball, does it make the offense a little predictable? I would love to just see a stud 3 down back next to Allen and see what they can do. Imagine if drafted the next Henry in thr 2nd next to Allen?

but this is a fine signing. 

That's the one thing I noticed from the comments of Pats fans online.  In general, they didn't do the usual "he was no good anyway" thing that fans do when they lose a player. They generally thought this was a great pick up for the Bills.

But they said he was a clear indicator of a running play when he was in, since he is not much of a pass catcher.  

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.