Bills sign Damien Harris

aristocrat

1 minute ago, Billl said:

Then he's a moron.

He’s a moron for wanting to trade a team with no QB for a team with a top QB?  

they lucked into their Lottery ticket when Slimmy G missed the season with injury and Bosa fell to them.  The rookie contract is almost up and they’ll be paying him 35M aav very soon.  Things will change.  He knows this.  

They better win the nfc this year-  the QBless conference 

1 minute ago, 1onemangang7 said:

Lol @ 5.7. You don't know what you're watching. NICE stat with defenses not worrying if he gets it.. probably be lucky to get 1.7 if everyone in the building knows who's going to get the ball. I don't care who thinks I'm dim. Most are pretty certain the Bills could have won the SB the last two years with any kind of running game.

I live near Athens, so you may conclude I am biased. So be it, we'll both be indifferent to the others opinion then. Cook is a solid back. It would help if our oline were better at run blocking which is a definite deficiency. Guess we'll see this upcoming year who is more correct.

18 minutes ago, ngbills said:

This requires changing the play calling and the OL being able to block. Our block scheme is not a power run blocking scheme and the personnel represents that. I’m not sure if the RB changes that. The reaction is like Harris is a game changer. I agree he is a better short yardage runner than we have had. But we also have not had a scheme or OL so who knows how successful we could have been already. 

Never said he was this big game-changer.  Just saying if he can do what Josh can do, then defenses will be forced to respect that and deploy a defense that can defend against both, rather then focus strictly on Josh.  It's like having a superstar defensive end paired with a sub-par end.  The O-Line can double-team all day with no fear.  Now, pair that same star with a good/great end and it becomes a problem.  Yes, the star will be getting most of the attention, but the other end will need to be at least respected, and can go on a tear if not given enough attention.

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

I live near Athens, so you may conclude I am biased. So be it, we'll both be indifferent to the others opinion then. Cook is a solid back. It would help if our oline were better at run blocking which is a definite deficiency. Guess we'll see this upcoming year who is more correct.

What's the most carries he's had in a game at Georgia? Our definitions of solid back are way off. Trung Candidate had a nice ypc in the NFL also. Was another good ypc bust. Pass catcher, fast, falls at first contact.  Not an nfl type back period.

18 minutes ago, MPL said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned in here but feels significant—Singletary fumbled 8 times over the past 2 years while Harris only put the ball on the ground 3 times. 

Bingo - Singleton is a weak back. The fumbles at costly times were a sign to me, last season, that the Bills were done with him. McD benched him for christ sakes for a fumble. Harris will be a massive upgrade to our running game which we desperately need. I am happy with this signing. Great catch for a tough runner that will compliment the speed Cook has.

Now go get OBJ!

What's the most carries he's had in a game at Georgia? Our definitions of solid back are way off. Trung Candidate had a nice ypc in the NFL also. Was another good ypc bust. Pass catcher, fast, falls at first contact.  Not an nfl type back period.

UGA always has a nice stable of running backs, so the load is normally spread out. I expect Cook will get more carries this year with Singletary gone. I think Harris is largely for short yardage and goal line situations. As I said, this year should clarify which of us has a better read on Cook.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 1onemangang7 said:

I think you’re being a little harsh

In the latter part of the season, I saw cooki running between the tackles and doing pretty well

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

UGA always has a nice stable of running backs, so the load is normally spread out. I expect Cook will get more carries this year with Singletary gone. I think Harris is largely for short yardage and goal line situations. As I said, this year should clarify which of us has a better read on Cook.

He was slight even in the SEC and the Bills should use him just as they did...not often on the ground.

1 hour ago, T master said:

YAY !!! Another RB under 6' tall & just a little over 200 lbs ... Moss 2.0 .

Can we take a moment to appreciate how truly stupid this post is? Haha 

Of all the things to be upset about, you’re upset that he’s the same height and weight as several hall of fame calibre running backs?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

In another thread, I posted the following Rx for what is still needed for the offense. Someone like Matthew Bergeron, a fella that can compete for RT with Brown and has the capacity to move inside to G. Sign OBJ. Draft a TE who is a good blocker and is some threat as a receiver. Knox is the only really quality TE. 12 personnel needs two and I think Dorsey might actually make use of the possibilities there.

I do agree that so far they have made some good moves, but they are not sufficient. And still, they also need to find an Edmunds replacement. Wagner is still out there. The best lbs in the draft are going to go early second, I think. We also need DT. Not sure it all can be accomplished, but I would go all in on offense this year if you have to choose.

Personally I think you are getting a little too player specific.  It could make you dislike Beane's moves when he is trying to accomplish much the same things as you are advocating.

If the FO goes for another OL, some type of WR play -either a vet (OBJ) or high draft pick, I'll be on board.  I'm good with whatever they decide on LB -the big move I was hoping for was for them to let Edmunds go.

He was slight even in the SEC and the Bills should use him just as they did...not often on the ground.

Yes, I am aware of your opinion. We differ. No point in endless back-and-forth. The reality will be resolved on the playing field. Certainly, it would be better for the Bills if I am right.

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think you’re being a little harsh

In the latter part of the season, I saw cooki running between the tackles and doing pretty well

Well with two bruisers back there now maybe he cam run untouched a couple times then you guys can claim he's the greatest runner of all time with his 9.7 yards per carry.

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

Yes, I am aware of your opinion. We differ. No point in endless back-and-forth. The reality will be resolved on the playing field. Certainly, it would be better for the Bills if I am right.

I disagree. Then Allen has to carry again .. limited.

1 minute ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Personally I think you are getting a little too player specific.  It could make you dislike Beane's moves when he is trying to accomplish much the same things as you are advocating.

If the FO goes for another OL, some type of WR play -either a vet (OBJ) or high draft pick, I'll be on board.  I'm good with whatever they decide on LB -the big move I was hoping for was for them to let Edmunds go.

I acknowledge that, but part of the fun of the offseason is pretending to be GM. I think my plan is a good one, but there are certainly others.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Never said he was this big game-changer.  Just saying if he can do what Josh can do, then defenses will be forced to respect that and deploy a defense that can defend against both, rather then focus strictly on Josh.  It's like having a superstar defensive end paired with a sub-par end.  The O-Line can double-team all day with no fear.  Now, pair that same star with a good/great end and it becomes a problem.  Yes, the star will be getting most of the attention, but the other end will need to be at least respected, and can go on a tear if not given enough attention.

I dont think teams will adjust or be forced to do anything because Damien Harris is on the field is my point. Did the Bills adjust the D because of him? Did any team adjust because of him? This is really diminishing our other RB's. This is not a Ferrari vs Kia upgrade. Its more like a Toyota vs Honda. Same quality, different skillset. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

At least we know Robinson is off their draft board.  

I don't think that is necessarily the case though.  I mean if Beane loves Robinson, then signing a RB to a 1 year deal IMHO would not take Robinson off their board at 27.

The reality though is that Bijan is almost certainly going to be gone by 27 though, so I don't think it's a decision Beane and the Bills will face.  Once he ran a good 40 and removed any break away speed doubts, any chance he could slide to 27 was all but eliminated.  He has a chance to go within the first 10 picks, and has very little chance of reaching us at 27 IMHO.  

• Agree 2

44 minutes ago, ngbills said:

This requires changing the play calling and the OL being able to block. Our block scheme is not a power run blocking scheme and the personnel represents that. I’m not sure if the RB changes that. The reaction is like Harris is a game changer. I agree he is a better short yardage runner than we have had. But we also have not had a scheme or OL so who knows how successful we could have been already. 

I don't think anyone would argue with you that our Oline is deficient. I also don't think Harris only works with a power run blocking scheme. I'd rather have him take a shot up the middle than Josh though, and he is strong enough to break a tackle or 5 as the tape shows. 

2 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Just an epic failure to go RB in back-to-back years in second round and first round. They couldn't pull the trigger on him even if they did love him. They would at minimum have to work out a trade for Cook somehow. I see this first round pick being a WR, LB, or o-lineman with an outside shot of a TE. 

The Bills took 2 off-seasons to fix cap issues from the previous regime and put themselves right back there 4 seasons later  If people want to understand why, a lack of vision on draft day is a contributing cause to that issue.    

Singletary and Moss cost RD3 picks, albeit were on rookie contracts.  They ultimately replaced both with veterans in Harris and Hines who cost more in cap than a rookie contract player would.  They continue doubling down at RB and then cry how they're cap poor.  In 7 off-seasons, they've re-signed McCoy, signed UFAs like Tolbert, DiMarco, Ivory, Gore, Yeldon, Breida, and now Harris.  All while using 3 top-100 picks on RBs.        

Is it that hard to identify a player in the 4th-7th rounds or via UDFA that can offer production on a rookie contract so they can start investing in WR's at the top of the draft?  It shouldn't be, but then again RD1 seems reserved for QB's and defensive players.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.