Bills sign Damien Harris

aristocrat

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This is exactly what I wanted in a RB signing.

Let Cook and Hines move it up and down the field. But when we still inside the 5, bring in Harris.

He’s a much better fit in this offense next to them. He is what people thought Moss was.

My issue is, depending on the money, I would have rather Zeke and a comp pick. I was fine with a late round back to do that role too. 

Harris is a pretty good back and will help the short yardage offense. He can also play in the event of an injury elsewhere. He’s a nice role player and if the numbers are right, a decent signing. That’s what I have said from the beginning and some have taken issue with that. He’s fine and a nice fit from a skill set perspective.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

He was in play for the 1st pick, it was between him and Baker. Not a reach to anyone except a few posters here who wanted Rosen 

He was rated high by several teams to be sure.  The majority thought he was a reach.  He proved not to be one.  I'm sure some view Campbell as at least a late 1st rounder and if he proves to be a good player, where he was drafted won't mean much.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

One could argue the AFC is better in terms of teams top to bottom. The 49ers have a great defense and skill players yet still like a game changing QB if Purdy remains hurt but still he's also a question mark.

You make an excellent argument the Chiefs played the 49ers in their final loss before their win streak to the nfc championship game and got absolutely demolished I have no doubt a repeat of that wold have taken place in the Super Bowl had they got there 

13 minutes ago, 1onemangang7 said:

I hear what you're saying, but it gives Allen a chance. The rest of the football world knows he needs help but they don't want to look like they are giving up on their 2nd round bust. Gives me hope as a fan and whatever the price it had to happen or you know they'll only go as far til Allen runs out of gas.

I'm not disputing that we needed to sign a back with Harris' skill set. I'm saying it the opportunity cost of signing him is a 3rd round pick, we should have done something else. Harris isn't an elite back. He's just a pretty good downhill RB.

Here's some food for thought - Beane has never spent a day three pick on a RB. That's pretty unbelievable. If signing Harris means we spent yet another 3rd round pick on a RB, this time for a one-year deal, it is very poor valuation of the position.

1 minute ago, Einstein's Dog said:

But look at the moves the FO has done - upgrade the OL, improve the WR room depth-wise at least, and improve the RB room (especially short yardage).  All incremental improvements on the offensive side of the ball while letting the defense take a step down talent-wise with Edmunds leaving. 

The FO has done the exact thing many of us have wanted.  May not be in as big of a way, or the exact personnel, but clearly the O has been the focus.  And of course, it's not over.  If the FO comes up with a D Hop or OBJ (or my sleeper M Evans) they would have hit a home run.

In another thread, I posted the following Rx for what is still needed for the offense. Someone like Matthew Bergeron, a fella that can compete for RT with Brown and has the capacity to move inside to G. Sign OBJ. Draft a TE who is a good blocker and is some threat as a receiver. Knox is the only really quality TE. 12 personnel needs two and I think Dorsey might actually make use of the possibilities there.

I do agree that so far they have made some good moves, but they are not sufficient. And still, they also need to find an Edmunds replacement. Wagner is still out there. The best lbs in the draft are going to go early second, I think. We also need DT. Not sure it all can be accomplished, but I would go all in on offense this year if you have to choose.

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

One could argue the AFC is better in terms of teams top to bottom. The 49ers have a great defense and skill players yet still like a game changing QB if Purdy remains hurt but still he's also a question mark.

One can argue whatever one wants to argue.  It doesn't change the fact that the 49ers have been more successful over the short term, the medium term, and the long term, though.  They're an elite organization.

Just now, Billl said:

One can argue whatever one wants to argue.  It doesn't change the fact that the 49ers have been more successful over the short term, the medium term, and the long term, though.  They're an elite organization.

I just question Shanahan at times, like McDermott knows how to build a team but are they good enough to win a Championship? Time will tell and with as much they gave up for Lance and with the poor results thus far how much time does they have left?

14 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Why not both?

Seriously, it's nicer to have two options in that situation so the opposing defense can't just focus 11 players and 3 cheerleaders on Josh.

12 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

One is expendable. the other is not

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is perfectly reasonable and will hopefully keep Josh hits down. Moss couldn’t get it done. Harris has been good in those situations.

This requires changing the play calling and the OL being able to block. Our block scheme is not a power run blocking scheme and the personnel represents that. I’m not sure if the RB changes that. The reaction is like Harris is a game changer. I agree he is a better short yardage runner than we have had. But we also have not had a scheme or OL so who knows how successful we could have been already. 

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm not disputing that we needed to sign a back with Harris' skill set. I'm saying it the opportunity cost of signing him is a 3rd round pick, we should have done something else. Harris isn't an elite back. He's just a pretty good downhill RB.

Here's some food for thought - Beane has never spent a day three pick on a RB. That's pretty unbelievable. If signing Harris means we spent yet another 3rd round pick on a RB, this time for a one-year deal, it is very poor valuation of the position.

I agree but their track record shows they go for mini backs. They at least attempted to satisfy the criticism they've heard nationwide for not giving Allen help. They surely are too proud to reveal Cook was another mistake at the position.

Just now, 1onemangang7 said:

I agree but their track record shows they go for mini backs. They at least attempted to satisfy the criticism they've heard nationwide for not giving Allen help. They surely are too proud to reveal Cook was another mistake at the position.

Cook is likely the lead back. His 5.7 ypc is excellent and he is a receiving threat. Keep saying stupid things and folks are going to conclude you are dim or a troll.

31 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Well, I agree, but I don't think I said anything with that connotation, though no doubt there are those who hold that sentiment. In my view, Beane is a good GM, but he could be better and he may become better. In general, as I stated before, my main criticism is that I think he over values "filling all the holes." It's not a bad thing, but I think he should shift his criteria somewhat in favor of hitting on difference makers. I also believe in today's NFL, you shouldn't ignore the defense, but I would pitch the balance over towards the offense, especially when you have a generational talent like Josh Allen at qb. I'm pretty sure @Kirby Jackson and @GunnerBill will agree with me on this, among others, though I could be mistaken.

Not many teams would have gone 13-3 with the injuries the Bills had last year, but Beane has generally built good depth to the Bills roster. He rarely misses totally on draft picks, most guys he has drafted (even on day 3) can play in the NFL. The knock is not enough difference makers. And while certainly first round tilts have been towards defense the problem with the wider perspective (where it is more even) is that the high picks he has spent on offense, other than Dawson Knox, have not hit. Ford (one of his few busts), Singletary (decent back but a 1 contract guy here), Moss (traded before the end of his rookie deal), Cook (tbc). Three of his 4 highest selections on offense aside from Josh have been running backs. Bad position value and not guys that have really balled out. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

24 minutes ago, Logic said:

ITHAT is where I think Harris will have a useful role in this offense. Personally, I would have preferred using an undrafted free agent for that role. But if the front office wants at least one running back on the roster who has proven to be a dependable short yardage option, scoring option, and pass blocker (rather than gambling on the idea that a rookie can do those things), I get it. Furthermore, if Cook or Hines were to miss time, I would feel pretty confident that the Bills could still muster a decent rushing attack with Damien Harris getting snaps.

I'm in agreement with you until the undrafted free agent part.  We still need another - it's a 17 game regular season- injuries are more part of the norm more now than ever.  Something like a 4th rounder on someone like that R Johnson would fit like a glove.

This is a Superbowl contending team.  The Harris move was big in my book.  And getting a better player than lets say Zeke at the potential cost of the third rounder is something the FO should do.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Cook is likely the lead back. His 5.7 ypc is excellent and he is a receiving threat. Keep saying stupid things and folks are going to conclude you are dim or a troll.

Lol @ 5.7. You don't know what you're watching. NICE stat with defenses not worrying if he gets it.. probably be lucky to get 1.7 if everyone in the building knows who's going to get the ball. I don't care who thinks I'm dim. Most are pretty certain the Bills could have won the SB the last two years with any kind of running game.

2 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I'm in agreement with you until the undrafted free agent part.  We still need another - it's a 17 game regular season- injuries are more part of the norm more now than ever.  Something like a 4th rounder on someone like that R Johnson would fit like a glove.

This is a Superbowl contending team.  The Harris move was big in my book.  And getting a better player than lets say Zeke at the potential cost of the third rounder is something the FO should do.

I'm not really sure he's better than Zeke -- or so much better it's worth giving up a third. I think his success against us has skewed the sense of the player Harris is. But I do like the signing all the same. He definitely fills a need for a a tough runner that can hit the end zone.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.