Bills sign Damien Harris

aristocrat

13 minutes ago, mikemac2001 said:

If you go to that site it looks like it was lost already so this signing might not even affect it 

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks

Singletary will likely qualify as a lost UFA, it just hasn't been updated on there yet because his official contract numbers haven't been announced. It was reported as one year "up to $3.75 million." The thought is that it will be at least $2.5 million base. I guess if it isn't then we probably lose out on the comp pick regardless. In that event Poyer not getting a better contract elsewhere is ultimately what will have cost us the comp pick and I won't blame Beane for that.

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

Well, I agree, but I don't think I said anything with that connotation, though no doubt there are those who hold that sentiment. In my view, Beane is a good GM, but he could be better and he may become better. In general, as I stated before, my main criticism is that I think he over values "filling all the holes." It's not a bad thing, but I think he should shift his criteria somewhat in favor of hitting on difference makers. I also believe in today's NFL, you shouldn't ignore the defense, but I would pitch the balance over towards the offense, especially when you have a generational talent like Josh Allen at qb. I'm pretty sure @Kirby Jackson and @GunnerBill will agree with me on this, among others, though I could be mistaken.

For sure, for sure. Wasnt so much trying to "debate against you" as just adding my thoughts/observations to your great work.

Agreed that it is definitely Beane's approach to fill all holes with "someone" before the draft, thinking it gives him more flexibility in the draft. And I dont think that's wrong. Probably the most forethought we've seen from a GM in a while! :thumbsup:

We're pretty much on the same page. I'd love to see some draft investment into the Offense. I was banging the table for both Humphrey and Linderbam the last 2 years.

But not much more I can do than sit back and trust Beane. We'll see how it goes again this May.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t disagree. He is a fine short yardage option. Harris is an okay back but don’t want people to think that he is some star. He hasn’t been. He’s Jamal Williams without receiving skills and an injury history. 

In the Bills O he would not have gotten many of these touches. I do hope it works out but until proven otherwise the ball in Josh hands in these situations has proven most effective. 

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t disagree. He is a fine short yardage option. Harris is an okay back but don’t want people to think that he is some star. He hasn’t been. He’s Jamal Williams without receiving skills and an injury history. 

I don't imagine many people think that he's any kind of star. I view him as a dependable pro running back with some size that can fill a very useful role.

Specifically, seeing all those "1s" and "2"s in that graphic you posted makes me very happy. Why? Because the Bills were quite awful at converting 3rd and short last year. When it was 3rd and goal from the 2, how confident did YOU feel last year that the offense would score? I didn't feel very confident.

THAT is where I think Harris will have a useful role in this offense. Personally, I would have preferred using an undrafted free agent for that role. But if the front office wants at least one running back on the roster who has proven to be a dependable short yardage option, scoring option, and pass blocker (rather than gambling on the idea that a rookie can do those things), I get it. Furthermore, if Cook or Hines were to miss time, I would feel pretty confident that the Bills could still muster a decent rushing attack with Damien Harris getting snaps.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 4

We needed a back that can pound it in from short range.  We got one, and didn't burn a draft pick on him.  Our O-Line still needs shoring up, we need a MLB and a WR2.  We also could really use anything resembling a pass rush from someone who's initials are not VM.  The more holes we fill now, the fewer we'll have in the draft and the more selective we can be with our picks.

I like this signing.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is exactly what I wanted in a RB signing.

Let Cook and Hines move it up and down the field. But when we still inside the 5, bring in Harris.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I'll take him trying into a pile vs Josh trying to jump over it.

So now we want Harris having the ball over Josh? When he was on the Pats I guarantee we would all say Josh is more dangerous in the red zone than Harris. 

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

This is exactly what I wanted in a RB signing.

Let Cook and Hines move it up and down the field. But when we still inside the 5, bring in Harris.

If nothing else, it makes people have to respect the run. No one was fearing Singletary plowing into the line. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

So now we want Harris having the ball over Josh? When he was on the Pats I guarantee we would all say Josh is more dangerous in the red zone than Harris. 

Why not both?

Seriously, it's nicer to have two options in that situation so the opposing defense can't just focus 11 players and 3 cheerleaders on Josh.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Truly appreciate doing all this leg work. 🙏

We're already a much more successful team than most on that list outside of KC (maybe Rams since they won a SB in there, but as even they would tell you: "Eff them picks"), so I dont see Comp Picks being the key to putting teams over the top. Or even the reason for keeping these teams good.

SF has played in 3 conference championship games and a Superbowl in the last 4 seasons.  I think you're selling them short by saying that the Bills have been more successful than they have.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Billl said:

SF has played in 3 conference championship games and a Superbowl in the last 4 seasons.  I think you're selling them short by saying that the Bills have been more successful than they have.

One could argue the AFC is better in terms of teams top to bottom. The 49ers have a great defense and skill players yet still lack a game changing QB if Purdy remains hurt but still he's also a question mark.

Edited by The Jokeman

4 minutes ago, ngbills said:

If we're talking about Josh simply doing the drive into the pile and getting shoved from behind by our big WRs, then yeah, I'd rather have Harris instead of risking Josh.

Roll outs, outside runs, etc. I'd rather have Josh.

But now Harris opens us up to the play action dive fake, Josh roll out and pass/run, and defenses actually have to respect Harris's short yardage ability.

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

I don't imagine many people think that he's any kind of star. I view him as a dependable pro running back with some size that can fill a very useful role.

Specifically, seeing all those "1s" and "2"s in that graphic you posted makes me very happy. Why? Because the Bills were quite awful at converting 3rd and short last year. When it was 3rd and goal from the 2, how confident did YOU feel last year that the offense would score? I didn't feel very confident.

THAT is where I think Harris will have a useful role in this offense. Personally, I would have preferred using an undrafted free agent for that role. But if the front office wants at least one running back on the roster who has proven to be a dependable short yardage option, scoring option, and pass blocker (rather than gambling on the idea that a rookie can do those things), I get it. Furthermore, if Cook or Hines were to miss time, I would feel pretty confident that the Bills could still muster a decent rushing attack with Damien Harris getting snaps.

I agree 100% with everything that you are saying. 

• Like (+1) 2

Difficult to not see Harris as at least a mild upgrade over Motor. Tough runner who hasn’t really done much as a receiver. Also good in pass pro FWIH. Biggest questions involve contract details and whether or not he can be as successful behind the Bills OL and in their offense as he was in NE. 

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Well, I agree, but I don't think I said anything with that connotation, though no doubt there are those who hold that sentiment. In my view, Beane is a good GM, but he could be better and he may become better. In general, as I stated before, my main criticism is that I think he over values "filling all the holes." It's not a bad thing, but I think he should shift his criteria somewhat in favor of hitting on difference makers. I also believe in today's NFL, you shouldn't ignore the defense, but I would pitch the balance over towards the offense, especially when you have a generational talent like Josh Allen at qb. I'm pretty sure @Kirby Jackson and @GunnerBill will agree with me on this, among others, though I could be mistaken.

But look at the moves the FO has done - upgrade the OL, improve the WR room depth-wise at least, and improve the RB room (especially short yardage).  All incremental improvements on the offensive side of the ball while letting the defense take a step down talent-wise with Edmunds leaving. 

The FO has done the exact thing many of us have wanted.  May not be in as big of a way, or the exact personnel, but clearly the O has been the focus.  And of course, it's not over.  If the FO comes up with a D Hop or OBJ (or my sleeper M Evans) they would have hit a home run.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Billl said:

This is why you’re here.  To troll Bills fans that prop their team up. 

my niners fan buddy would take our team over his team every day of the week.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.