Bills sign Damien Harris

aristocrat

8 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Not saying he would.  Timing just curious that within a couple hours of Singletary signing with Texans, Bills sign Harris.  Almost like Beane was waiting to see terms of Singletary’s deal.  Because Harris was hurt last year, there’s a lot of NLTBE bonus money that Harris could probably easily earn this year as well.  

I dont disagree about waiting to see terms. That's what usually happens. One guy at a position signs, and then all the other FAs at that position sign. Same thing happened last week right after Poyer signed. All the other Safeties out there signed because the market was then set. I'm just not sure Comp Pick was in his thinking.

2 hours ago, flmike said:

The team desperately needs help at LB and CB and safety depth, not to mention a true run-stuffing DL and you don't want to use picks there? 

Absolutely not.

We’ve used nothing but PREMIUM picks the past 4 years on that side of the ball, and it’s gotten us stomped in the playoffs by better OFFENSIVE TEAMS with more PLAYMAKERS.

Dear God, some of you on here think this Front office walks on water.

Just now, McBean said:

Absolutely not.

We’ve used nothing but PREMIUM picks the past 4 years on that side of the ball, and it’s gotten us stomped in the playoffs by better OFFENSIVE TEAMS with more PLAYMAKERS.

Dear God, some of you on here think this Front office walks on water.

also, we have JOSH ALLEN as our QB. Protect the kid at all costs. Help him out for once!

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

https://youtu.be/AiZzxhwLMYQ

Dude. Runs. Hard. 

I like how he makes a decision on his one cut, plants, and goes. He has speed and he finishes runs punishingly. Good vision. A lot of nice plays against the Bills in the above highlight video. Fits the profile to balance with Cook and Hines. Only age 26. Also good to take from NE*. 

His draft profile:

Disciplined and rugged with a very strong sense of who he is as a running back. He operates with a good feel for blocking schemes and finds the designed yards while adding extra with his power and some elusiveness. He lacks game-breaking juice as a runner and will need to keep his weight down or he'll end up in the "grinder" category of runners. Harris is more likely to be good than great as a pro, but his size, every-down game and ball security give him a chance to have fruitful career as a solid starter.

The one at 1:06 is insane ! 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles
  • Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

Basically a player has to sign a contract that qualifies for the formula which is a top 35% contract(somewhere a little over 2 million a year).  Players signing contracts under that don’t even count toward the formula. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

LOL, you guys and your comp picks. Honestly thought most of the comp pick talk was just sarcasm because of how little it matters.

Getting your guys and shoring up the roster before the draft >>>>> Comp pick

If we dont sign Harris then we likely need to use that comp pick on yet another 3rd round RB anyways, so it's all a wash.

It does matter. We're talking about a free top 100 pick. Signing an injury ridden RB with a limited skill set to a one year deal is not worth losing that pick. We could have signed Elliott to play the same role, or just drafted one on day three like most teams do for that skill set.

Even if you're correct that we would have had to spend that 3rd round pick on a RB (although I will mention this obviously isn't inherently true), there's a big difference between a cost controlled RB on a multi-year rookie contract and a veteran on a one year contract.

Let's be real. A one season rental of almost any RB is not worth a 3rd round pick. It's arguable that not a single RB is worth that trade off. For Damien Harris the suggestion is laughable.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, harmonkillebrew said:

Harris helps change our offensive identity. We'll have a smash mouth side to us now. We just need a road grader G on the right side to pair with Spencer Brown

I view the Harris move as more upgrading a role than changing offensive identity.  Harris is here to excel in short yardage and pass protection.  Harris is an upgrade there.

The FO is keeping true to its philosophy of a young, cheaper RB room.  This looks to increase the role of the newer RB, Cook, jettison the expired RB Singletary.  And they may get a backup/developmental big back like R Johnson in the 4th for the future to replace Harris in a year or two.

The offensive identity of the Bills will remain Josh-centric (as it should).

Just now, HappyDays said:

It does matter. We're talking about a free top 100 pick. Signing an injury ridden RB with a limited skill set to a one year deal is not worth losing that pick. We could have signed Elliott to play the same role, or just drafted one on day three like most teams do for that skill set.

Even if you're correct that we would have had to spend that 3rd round pick on a RB (although I will mention this obviously isn't inherently true), there's a big difference between a cost controlled RB on a rookie deal and a one year veteran.

Let's be real. A one season rental of almost any RB is not worth a 3rd round pick. It's arguable that not a single RB is worth that trade off. For Damien Harris the suggestion is laughable.

You don’t even know if Harris contract will even qualify for the comp formula.  Calm down 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, GolfandBills said:

You don’t even know if Harris contract will even qualify for the comp formula.  Calm down 

I'm still hopeful that it won't be. I guess the actual threshold for players that qualify for the comp pick formula is believed to be around $2.5 million this year. If we got him for $2 million or less I think it's a good signing. If we paid more than that, and next year we're talking about a free top 100 pick that we lost, the signing will have been inexcusable IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Honest question: Which top teams? And is it because they have a "method" or because good teams usually lose good players and are usually too overextended to add more back?

I’m ignoring teams that have bad records and get compensatory picks. I am interested in the good teams that qualify for them and continually maintain winning records. NE* is somewhat down now, but I include them for the early 2020s as representative of the tail end of over a decade of success. Imo, Baltimore, Kansas City, and San Francisco are able to accomplish the feat because they consistently draft well. Beane is not at their level.

2020:  NE got 2 third rounders and 2 sixth rounders. Seattle got a third, a fourth, and a sixth. Baltimore got a third and a fourth.

2021:  NE got a third and a fourth. Dallas got a third and a sixth. San Francisco got a third and a fifth. The Rams got two thirds and a fourth. Baltimore got a third and a fifth. Kansas City got a fourth and a fifth.

2022:  Baltimore got a third and a fourth, San Francisco got two thirds, two sixths, and a seventh, Kansas City got a third and a seventh, LA Rams got a third, a fourth, and two sixths.

2023:  San Francisco got three thirds and a fifth, Kansas City got a third, a sixth, and a seventh.

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm still hopeful that it won't be. I guess the actual threshold for players that qualify for the comp pick formula is believed to be around $2.5 million this year. If we got him for $2 million or less I think it's a good signing. If we paid more than that, and next year we're talking about a free top 100 pick that we lost, the signing will have been inexcusable IMO.

If you go to that site it looks like it was lost already so this signing might not even affect it 

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks

Edited by mikemac2001

I just heard about this signing and came here to see what the discussion was like.

25 pages. Bills fans never cease to amaze me.

Looking over Harris' career, I see that in 2021, he had 15 rushing TDs! When was the last time a Bills running back had 15 rushing TDs in a season. Anyone? I legitimately have no idea.

If Harris does nothing else but replace some of those Josh Allen short yardage and red zone carries and add health and mileage to our franchise QB, he was a good signing. 

I hope it winds up being Cook and Hines deployed as an interchangeable, explosive, and diverse top two, with Harris seeing mostly pass blocking, short yardage, and red zone work.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.