Bills sign Damien Harris

aristocrat

2 minutes ago, harmonkillebrew said:

Didn't lose a comp pick for Harris. That canceled out Singletary.

Edmunds was already canceled out by the McGovern signing.

It doesn't.  TE is getting $10M/year more than McGovern.  It would knock it down from a 3rd rounder.

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'd be amazed if Beane would risk blowing the deal and losing out on a guy he wanted (Harris) over the possibility of getting the 105th pick in the draft.

Not saying he would.  Timing just curious that within a couple hours of Singletary signing with Texans, Bills sign Harris.  Almost like Beane was waiting to see terms of Singletary’s deal.  Because Harris was hurt last year, there’s a lot of NLTBE bonus money that Harris could probably easily earn this year as well.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'd be amazed if Beane would risk blowing the deal and losing out on a guy he wanted (Harris) over the possibility of getting the 105th pick in the draft.

I'm willing to believe that you would be amazed about it.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Bills could use a Day 3 pick on a secondary depth piece depending on what they plan on doing with Benford, but that’s about it. 

They are set at CB1, CB2, Slot, both Safety spots and have great depth at CB in Benford & Jackson. 

LB, DT, EDGE.. yea, sadly it seems we do still need help at all 3 positions. 

Heaven forbid Allen ever gets more than mid-tier FA’s and Late Day 2/Early Day 3 picks.   Diggs doesn’t absolve them of constant neglect. 

Regarding LB, DT, EDGE.  We can resign Shaq Lawson and Jordan Phillips cheap.  Another DT is probably needed in the draft.

35 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

That's not what you said. 

You said that Singletary is a better back because his YPC was higher. I mean you want to talk nonsense, jeez. 

Find where I said “higher.” I said it is the same (4.7 YPC). Please provide that quote.

I do believe in being factually accurate. I took issue with someone saying “Harris has 3x the workload” when Singeltary has 368 more touches in his career. I’m not making stuff up. That’s not my deal around here. I provided facts and you can do with them what you will. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The wailing and crying here over the mere possibility of losing a 3rd rd comp pick, when we dont even have Harris's contract numbers yet, is getting to ridiculous levels. Bills fans really need to disconnect and go enjoy Spring for a bit.

And, do we care more about a potential 3rd round comp pick than compete for a Championship?  Beane has wasted many 3rd round picks on trade up, unfortunately.

However, I do think we will end up with a 3rd round comp pick for Edmunds.  There is lots of time between now and May for players to be signed.  We don't need to sign much more and we have lots of players that are FA's and will be signed by other teams.

10 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

All depends on contract value not just total free agents lost/gained.  Contract has to actually qualify for the formula 

I thought the ante to getting comp picks was a minimum of net zero gained or lost or 1 player positive lost?

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Exactly. This was a no brainer deal. They needed a big short yardage back and they got a good one. Last year our big back was Josh. Frankly, to resign Motor already having Cook and Hines as speed smaller speed backs would have been malpractice.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Manther said:

And, do we care more about a potential 3rd round comp pick than compete for a Championship?  Beane has wasted many 3rd round picks on trade up, unfortunately.

However, I do think we will end up with a 3rd round comp pick for Edmunds.  There is lots of time between now and May for players to be signed.  We don't need to sign much more and we have lots of players that are FA's and will be signed by other teams.

What current Bills free agents will sign for over 2 million a year to even qualify for the donpnpick formula?  I don’t see anymore that will.  Highly unlikely we get a comp pick in 2024

38 minutes ago, alluro said:

Can anyone confirm Buffalo lost a third round comp pick by signing Harris? If so, that is a HUGE mistep by Brandon Beane...unbelievable. 

I like the thought of considering comp picks when signing free agents. I think long term, it’s just good planning. I believe the staff always considers long term outcomes. That being said, our Super Bowl window is open now. Do I believe in selling  out to get a Super Bowl. Yes and no. If it works great (see Rams). But if the Rams lost they would look foolish now. Oops back to my point. I think our window got shorter because of everything that happened last year. Last year was probably year one for winning a SB. Me personally, I don’t want to do what the Rams did, but minor things (argument could be made against it) like comp picks don’t concern me. Plus there’s the it’s a wash argument. Bottom line, if Harris makes us better today for the right term, sign him.

On a side note. I hated that guy. He was a Bill killer. At the very least, sign him and bench him. Then he will at least quit carving us up.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Manther said:

That is what I thought.  But, I am not confident.

Basically a player has to sign a contract that qualifies for the formula which is a top 35% contract(somewhere a little over 2 million a year).  Players signing contracts under that don’t even count toward the formula. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Manther said:

I thought the ante to getting comp picks was a minimum of net zero gained or lost or 1 player positive lost?

It is but the contracts have to qualify 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.