Bills sign Damien Harris

aristocrat

Devin Singletary can make guys miss in a phone booth. He is incredible in avoiding the first defender at the very least. No, he does not have top end speed, but he is a far superior player to Harris. 

Harris is the definition of average NFL RB. He will get exactly what is blocked, nothing more, nothiing less. The Patriots drafted his replacement in Rhamondre and signed James Robinson. I don't get all the love for Harris. He is just a guy. If Buffalo paid him a larger contract than Motor I will be extremely annoyed with Brandon Beane. 

Edited by alluro
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, flmike said:

The team desperately needs help at LB and CB and safety depth, not to mention a true run-stuffing DL and you don't want to use picks there? 

Bills could use a Day 3 pick on a secondary depth piece depending on what they plan on doing with Benford, but that’s about it. 

They are set at CB1, CB2, Slot, both Safety spots and have great depth at CB in Benford & Jackson. 

LB, DT, EDGE.. yea, sadly it seems we do still need help at all 3 positions. 

Heaven forbid Allen ever gets more than mid-tier FA’s and Late Day 2/Early Day 3 picks.   Diggs doesn’t absolve them of constant neglect. 

9 minutes ago, alluro said:

Devin Singletary can make guys miss in a phone booth. He is incredible in avoiding the first defender at the very least. No, he does not have top end speed, but he is a far superior player to Harris. 

Harris is the definition of average NFL RB. He will get exactly what is blocked, nothing more, nothiing less. The Patriots drafted his replacement in Rhamondre and signed James Robinson. I don't get all the love for Harris. He is just a guy. If Buffalo paid him a larger contract than Motor I will be extremely annoyed with Brandon Beane. 

- The 2 backs are close in overall talent level, but Singletary is by no means the far superior player;

- Harris will get more than exactly what is blocked too just he gets it by carrying multiple defenders downfield as opposed to Singletary’s decent elusiveness; 

- Singletary is kind of redundant here while Harris’ skill set is a much better complement to Cook and Hines; and

- While clearly not a top back in the league, rarely is someone who scored 15 TDs in a year JAG.

(I am hoping the delay in release of contract details means the Bills got him for cheap!)

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Singletary -> Cook

Moss -> Harris

Going from a couple of mediocre backs out of smaller programs FAU and Utah, to higher ceiling talents out of UGA and Bama.

The “upgrades” aren’t worth the cost.  If Harris costs a comp pick they’ve effectively traded Motor and a late 3rd for Harris.  After using a 3rd on Motor.  It’s asinine.

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that Bijan is a can’t miss star. I think that the Bills were really high on him. This draft just lacks top end talent so he will go earlier than expected. He’s a top 5 player in this class. I think that they, and everyone else, loves the player. 

Just an epic failure to go RB in back-to-back years in second round and first round. They couldn't pull the trigger on him even if they did love him. They would at minimum have to work out a trade for Cook somehow. I see this first round pick being a WR, LB, or o-lineman with an outside shot of a TE. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, HOUSE said:

It's not likely we will get 17 games out of this guy but it's still a great signing 

I’m hoping he can be used sparingly enough throughout the season that we can unleash him fully December onward. Turn Cook and Hines loose all game then bring in Harris in the 4th quarter fresh. 

27 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

The Bills only have 2WRs under for 2024. Diggs and Shakur they have to add a WR high. They only have 1 TE under contract for 2024 that’s Dawson. With this deep a TE class you’re going to add one of those too. 

I'm expecting TE in the 3rd, 4th at the latest.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, alluro said:

Can anyone confirm Buffalo lost a third round comp pick by signing Harris? If so, that is a HUGE mistep by Brandon Beane...unbelievable. 

Better not be true 

31 minutes ago, alluro said:

It’s the new name syndrome. Replace X with Y. Y is obviously better. 

I agree Harris is just another dime a dozen rb. Actually a downgrade from singletary. 

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Bruh, are you serious?!? 😂😂

You said a bunch of nonsense about “the whole league knows it.” Hyperbole and exaggeration doesn’t impress me. All that I’ve said is that we lost a decent rotational back and replaced him with a different kind of decent rotational back. Not sure what you’re talking about but I know nonsense when I see it. 

That's not what you said. 

You said that Singletary is a better back because his YPC was higher. I mean you want to talk nonsense, jeez. 

14 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The “upgrades” aren’t worth the cost.  If Harris costs a comp pick they’ve effectively traded Motor and a late 3rd for Harris.  After using a 3rd on Motor.  It’s asinine.

LOL, you guys and your comp picks. Honestly thought most of the comp pick talk was just sarcasm because of how little it matters.

Getting your guys and shoring up the roster before the draft >>>>> Comp pick

If we dont sign Harris then we likely need to use that comp pick on yet another 3rd round RB anyways, so it's all a wash.

Worrying about comp picks is the new worrying about the salary cap. I'll just leave it to the pros.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, alluro said:

Can anyone confirm Buffalo lost a third round comp pick by signing Harris? If so, that is a HUGE mistep by Brandon Beane...unbelievable. 

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks

follow this for up to date info.  Once they get contract details they update 

Edited by GolfandBills

5 minutes ago, alluro said:

Two ways to think about comp picks. Sign low cap free agent contracts with players you know can fill a role or get extra mid round picks and hope a player develops into that player or better?

Draft picks are worth more due to the unknown but filling out the depth with low cap free agents isn’t a terrible idea.

Also those comp picks help your roster in the future. So you’re also compromising the current roster for future mid round picks. In other words I’ve never really cared about comp picks until they’re announced and we don’t get any. 

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

LOL, you guys and your comp picks. Honestly thought most of the comp pick talk was just sarcasm because of how little it matters.

Getting your guys and shoring up the roster before the draft >>>>> Comp pick

If we dont sign Harris then we likely need to use that comp pick on yet another 3rd round RB anyways, so it's all a wash.

Worrying about comp picks is the new worrying about the salary cap. I'll just leave it to the pros.

People would rather sign scabs and have a worse team just to get that 100th pick in the draft 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.