Bills sign Damien Harris

aristocrat

21 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

Signing a player who has played very well vs. Bills is part of Beane's MO. 

Pending the contract details, which given what Singletary got would probably be a $1.7-2.5 million salary with incentives and that would be good, this is exactly how you play the RB game. Draft players in rounds 2-4 a majority of years, don't give them a 2nd contract, pick up 1-2 vets to round out the RB slots on cheap, 2nd contracts because (a) they are interchangeable and (b) when you are a pass first offense and have Allen (who is probably going to get 500-700 rush yards) keep the investment in the position at about $6 million on the cap. 

I’m not saying your wrong, but I hope Allen doesn’t have 500-700 yards rushing this year… it’s time to build a better Oline .. so Allen can have time to use his talented arm. I’m tired of him being our Derrick henry… 

13 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I understand the sentiment, but are there any meaningful upgrades left with the O-Line in FA?  I'd like to see investment in the offense heavily this draft, but I'm not holding my breath.

They were never going to be in on a top end high priced RT to outright replace Spencer Brown. Beane has made it clear time and again that he feels back surgery, a lack of an offseason, and being nicked up during the season were the reason for him not looking well last season.

I'm sure we'll either draft a guy in Rounds 2-4 and/or sign a mid level guy like George Fant or even re-sign David Quessenberry to compete with him and be the Swing Tackle if Brown beats him out. But he was never going to outright replace him.

As far as Guard goes, they identified their man to replace Rodger Saffold quickly in Connor McGovern. Dawkins and Morse weren't being replaced. As mentioned, Brown is going to get competition. That just leaves Ryan Bates. Much like Spencer Brown, I don't think Beane is interested in outright replacing him.

I think Bates and McGovern sharing a line and playing off each other at Penn State was part of the reason McGovern was brought in. So once again, when it comes to Guard, I'd expect another low to mid level signing and/or a mid round draft pick for competition/depth.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This signing tells me that they don’t think Bijan will be there. 

More likely that they do not value the position in the first round. I hope that is the case. They just used a second-round pick on James Cook last year. Would be moronic to use a first-round pick on a RB the very next year. 

3 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

It's OK.  I stand by my comment.  Whenever someone comes here and says "I'm a realist" , it basically says "I think I'm the smartest guy in the room". 

Calm down Francis 

34 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Guys saying Fournette and Elliott are old and washed...they are the same age as Harris.

Harris is and will be 26 this season, while Fournette and Elliott will be 28 this season. 

I get that's not much difference, but for RBs that difference is huge. 28 is where you generally start to see regression in RBs.

This doesn't seem exciting to me, but solid. For me, this will depend on how much they paid.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Honestly don’t care for this.

Why did we need strictly a runner - he offers nothing in the passing game.  

Against an Allen offense you should be worried about every weapon on the field. 

still have to have a running game presence in this passing era; Philly, SF, Cin, and to a lesser extent KC and Mia....the mix of a power, receptions and speed...plus Lewis fumbles are not a problem compated to Motor...

4 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

yep... Beane is going to "chase" RB's in the draft again!!   We are now done with RB starters and Depth.

Next position please?

RT.

They signed Yeldon before drafting Singletary.  They signed Johnson before drafting Cook.  If the value is there I don't think they hesitate on taking a flyer in the later rounds.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I don't want to believe that Beane threw away a free 3rd round pick to sign an injury ridden RB with a limited skill set. Personally when I saw the announcement I assumed we were giving him like $1.6 million. A RB signing this late in free agency isn't typically getting more than that. Seeing some of the discussion about his value admittedly makes me nervous now. Hopefully I'm right.

It's really not that late in Free Agency. We're less than a week since it officially opened. We're not near the late stages yet.

Here's the list of RB's that have signed for 2 million or more over the past week (per year):

Miles Sanders - $6.25m

David Montgomery - $6m

Jamaal Williams - $4m

James Robinson - $4m

Samaje Perine - $3.75m

Devin Singletary - $3.75m (today)

Alexander Mattison - $3.5m

Jeff Wilson - $3m

D'Onta Foreman - $3m

Raheem Mostert - $2.8m

Justice Hill - $2.25m

Travis Homer - $2m

Boston Scott - $2m

As much as I'd love it if we got Harris for peanuts, there is zero chance he's getting less than Justice Hill, Travis Homer, and Boston Scott. We should be praising Beane if he could get it done somewhere between 3-4m.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

They signed Yeldon before drafting Singletary.  They signed Johnson before drafting Cook.  If the value is there I don't think they hesitate on taking a flyer in the later rounds.

yea uh Real late because we are extremely deep at RB now.  point being its late round.. your not "chasing" for a rb... 

Edited by PrimeTime101

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

min not going to sit here and start listing names. I’m just going to say they need to do better around Allen doing whatever it takes. 

as to the last paragraph I don’t think they make the team better. They make it the same. The same isn’t good enough. Like maybe the guard they got is slightly better. Maybe they did slightly better than McKenzie as well. We aren’t slightly better away from a SB like the last two years anymore though. 

however I will add that I think obj or Hopkins would instantly be the second best receiver on the team even past their prime. I wouldnt break bank for em but they would still be big upgrades. A big upgrade is what the team needs. Not just lateral wash moves. 

OBJ is asking for a long-term contract at $20M per year (though he's now backing away from that a bit). He probably won't get it, but unless you want to wait and hope he slowly comes down, you don't get him without paying a lot. Hopkins' base salary this year is $19M

Easy to say you want them but wouldn't break the bank for them. How would you work getting them without breaking the bank?

Many here would say, "Just rejigger the contract so they don't cost much this year," but that would mean we'd be back in the same situation next year, only worse, again stuck with very little cap space and people screaming for impact FAs.

I think we still have a distant shot at OBJ if he simmers in free agency purgatory for a few months without getting any great offers. But IMO if it happens soon, it will be because a team has cracked and given him too much.

Edited by Thurman#1

48 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I agree that 7.1 is too high and he's not getting that. But Spotrac's been pretty close with most RB numbers this year. About a million too high on the other top end RB's. I'm willing to bet they're a couple million too high on Harris. 

But even if you think 5 is too high, you're absolutely just wanting to trash this move if you're going to be unhappy if it comes in over $1.75m. You're nuts if you think we're getting him for less than half of what Devin Singletary got on the same day.

Jeez, they're predicting him that high? $7.1? That's crazy, IMO. He's a good back, but not nearly that good.

I guess it's somewhere between $2.5 and $4M, hopefully more towards the lower regions of that range. If it's more than $4M, I'd be a bit disappointed.

6 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Jeez, they're predicting him that high? $7.1? That's crazy, IMO. He's a good back, but not nearly that good.

I guess it's somewhere between $2.5 and $4M, hopefully more towards the lower regions of that range. If it's more than $4M, I'd be a bit disappointed.

5 posts above this one I posted the list of RB's who have been signed since FA opened from 2 million and up. No way we paid 7.1. But it's definitely going to be closer to 4-5 in my opinion. I don't see it being lower than 3. Keep in mind Devin Singletary signed for 3.75 just today. I don't see him getting less than that and definitely not more than a million less.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

5 posts above this one I posted the list of RB's who have been signed since FA opened from 2 million and up. No way we paid 7.1. But it's definitely going to be closer to 4-5 in my opinion. I don't see it being lower than 3. Keep in mind Devin Singletary signed for 3.75 just today. I don't see him getting less than that and definitely not more than a million less.

Singletary's contract was worth up to 3.75 million so we don't know the exact number guaranteed.  My guess is around what Mostert got at 2.8 million maybe with some contract incentives to earn "up to" four million.

Edit:  Also, since the terms haven't been reported it's usually because the agent and/or player doesn't want to put it out there so it makes me think it's on the lower side of what he expected (like Poyer's deal).

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.