Bills sign Damien Harris

aristocrat

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

unless he's blocking for a pass. 🤷‍♂️

I was being somewhat facetious.  But in NE when he was on the field, nearly a 50% chance he got the carry, 1 in 2.  I don't see that diminishing here this season since he's not the best receiving RB.  

In contrast, when Singletary was on the field, 25% chance that he got the carry, 1 in 4. 

I'm curious to see how he does behind our OL which isn't as good as what he had in NE.  His strength is rushing, but Singletary behind our line, and with 70 more carries, average 4.6 YPC while Harris only averaged 4.4 behind a notably better OL.  

Singletary also hasn't missed any games due to injury, Harris has.  

And since when are we trusting our coaching staff to know when/how to run the ball?  If anything they've proven the opposite.  At times when the running game was dominating they've abandoned it in favor of Allen & passing.  It's mindboggling at times.  

I'm not sure that this will be an upgrade.  We'll find out.  

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Well, if you think he runs 100% of the time he is on the field, then you would be right.

How about his pass blocking?  Hmmmm.  

See above

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

You know what’s coming… more rotational D-linemen/big nickels/special teams aces to get their balls kicked in in historic fashion come January while Allen is evading rushers and jumping over linebackers to try and carry his offense. 😉

Oh I know you hate our draft.  That’s a given.  I’m just wondering if March 20 is a new record.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They are essentially middle of the pack by position group everywhere on offense(maybe worse on offensive line) except elite at QB….as the team preps to go defensive heavy in the draft…. Maybe they shock me and take a WR that falls or sign OBJ, but right now it’s probably a McD filled draft once again. 

On the bright side as you said if cook makes a jump or they land a WR in the draft they get better in those two groups. Davis is what he is.

This will be Gabes's last year.  We have to draft a wr either 1st or 2nd and start grooming.  I know McB will be sniffing around for Campbell  but not day 1.  We gotta find a trade down partner. 

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think people on here are way overrating a decent RB with a one-trick skill set who's missed several games a year to injury. That kind of player goes for $2 million or less. If we paid $5 million per year and cost ourselves a 3rd round pick in 2024 I have no clue what Beane was thinking.

It's not just this board. He was consistently ranked among the top FA RB's available after the Franchise tags to Barkley, Jacobs, and Pollard:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2023-nfl-free-agent-running-backs-ranking-top-10-rbs-available-including-saquon-barkley-miles-sanders/

Spotrac listed his estimated market value at 7.1 annually, just behind Miles Sanders (estimated at 7.2, received 6.25) and David Montgomery (estimated 7.2, received 6):

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/damien-harris-29123/market-value/

2 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

You are absolutely right there is an injury risk. That comes with bruisers between the tackles.

I'll take injury risk with a bruiser with NFL size and physical traits vs a healthy guy that has none of it. 

Hey I'm happy if you're happy with Harris playing in 70% of our games next year.

I like the signing, but I'm very interested to hear the terms.  He is likely an upgrade from Singletary in just about every way so long as he's healthy.

Still need more investment in the WR room and O-Line.

7 minutes ago, Success said:

That's kind of how it is w/ teams that have to pay an elite QB.  We haven't had that issue in many years, so I think this FA is surprising for fans - but we simply can't afford much. 

I knew going in they couldn’t afford to do much. This offense needs to get better one way or another though. So far I don’t see it. Lost some role players. Picked up some role players to replace them.

Last thing I wanna see is Beane scrambling at the end of the season to pick up over the hill Brown and Beasley because he knew we weren’t good enough. Now and the draft is the time to do that. This staff has shown it can’t handle trying to figure out what to do with new players mid season. Brown and Bease weren’t good enough anyways and that same thing can’t happen again this year. Time to get a real receiver, probably already too late. I hope they at least hit on some o line picks or something. More defensive picks or reaches for players will be nauseating. 

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

disagree. We have a bunch of ok role players but not enough impact to elite players. 

Simple question. No right or wrong answers.

What 'impact to elite players' did you expect Buffalo to sign this offseason in FA?

Even with big money this FA period was terrible, and Buffalo was above the cap before it started.

The LB Okerkere and a few RT that went for absurd money were the best FA available IMO.

Are those the impact to elite players you wanted?

Just about everyone and their mother knew Buffalo is in a 'reshuffle' period.

They F*&ked up the 5 year window, even I have moved on. It is what it is.

And don't tell me OBJ/ D Hop/ Zeke etc.... broken down/ expensive and past their prime.

That is like shopping for prime beef in the bargain bin.

Some of you on TSW want to rebuild the 2018 Pro Bowl team.

It's 2023, a lot of those guys are washed. Hence no market in a weak FA/trade market.

This FA is exactly what was needed and expected.

Who exactly did Buffalo miss on this offseason?

If we want to talk offseasons past, I'll give you an earful.

Reign it in/ reshuffle/ add where you can.

Poyer/ McGovern/ Harris/ Sherfield/ Allen aren't sexy, but they all make the team better.

(I think Harty was a garbage signing)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, astb41 said:

This 1 year deal for Harris makes me think even more strongly they’ll target Bijan in the draft. Honestly feel like a trade up is in the cards. Then you go into 2023 with the Vet, Cook more comfortable in year 2, and Bijan learning the ropes but with less pressure and fully taking the reins in 2024

Youre Wrong Gordon Ramsay GIF by Hell's Kitchen

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Simple question. No right or wrong answers.

What 'impact to elite players' did you expect Buffalo to sign this offseason in FA?

Even with big money this FA period was terrible, and Buffalo was above the cap before it started.

The LB Okerkere and a few RT that went for absurd money were the best FA available IMO.

Are those the impact to elite players you wanted?

Just about everyone and their mother knew Buffalo is in a 'reshuffle' period.

They F*&ked up the 5 year window, even I have moved on. It is what it is.

And don't tell me OBJ/ D Hop/ Zeke etc.... broken down/ expensive and past their prime.

That is like shopping for prime beef in the bargain bin.

Some of you on TSW want to rebuild the 2018 Pro Bowl team.

It's 2023, a lot of those guys are washed. Hence no market in a weak FA/trade market.

This FA is exactly what was needed and expected.

Who exactly did Buffalo miss on this offseason?

If we want to talk offseasons past, I'll give you an earful.

Reign it in/ reshuffle/ add where you can.

Poyer/ McGovern/ Harris/ Sherfield/ Allen aren't sexy, but they all make the team better.

(I think Harty was a garbage signing)

min not going to sit here and start listing names. I’m just going to say they need to do better around Allen doing whatever it takes. 

as to the last paragraph I don’t think they make the team better. They make it the same. The same isn’t good enough. Like maybe the guard they got is slightly better. Maybe they did slightly better than McKenzie as well. We aren’t slightly better away from a SB like the last two years anymore though. 

however I will add that I think obj or Hopkins would instantly be the second best receiver on the team even past their prime. I wouldnt break bank for em but they would still be big upgrades. A big upgrade is what the team needs. Not just lateral wash moves. 

Edited by Scott7975

19 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It's not just this board. He was consistently ranked among the top FA RB's available after the Franchise tags to Barkley, Jacobs, and Pollard:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2023-nfl-free-agent-running-backs-ranking-top-10-rbs-available-including-saquon-barkley-miles-sanders/

Spotrac listed his estimated market value at 7.1 annually, just behind Miles Sanders (estimated at 7.2, received 6.25) and David Montgomery (estimated 7.2, received 6):

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/damien-harris-29123/market-value/

Being ranked 7th behind a has-been like Kareem Hunt isn't impressive. The 7th best RB available in any given free agency period is almost always a JAG. Even taking that author's opinion as accurate that doesn't tell me anything about Harris's value.

And Spotrac's market valuations have notoriously been all over the place. Their market value is calculated from some algorithm they use, presumably based on stats and the player's age. They had Edmunds' market value as $11 million AAV before the offseason. Anyone who pays attention to the market could have told you a young athletic specimen coming off his best year, and entering a weak free agent class, was bound to earn at least $15 million AAV from a team with cap space to burn. Lo and behold he gets $18 million AAV.

Similarly, but on the opposite end of the spectrum, a downhill only RB coming off his second injury ridden season is not getting anything close to the $7.1 million AAV Spotrac's algorithm laughably predicted for him.

Edited by HappyDays

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

4 games played against the Bills...3 games over 100 yards and 5 TDs. That's pretty good. Averages 6.4 YPC against us.

Exactly.

People here act like Harris is some bum. He roasted this defense over and over again.

His name isn't Zeke/ Henry/ Fournette.

Same dude at this point in their careers and younger and cheaper.

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Being ranked 7th behind a has-been like Kareem Hunt isn't impressive. The 7th best RB available in any given free agency period is almost always a JAG. Even taking that author's opinion as accurate that doesn't tell me anything about Harris's value.

And Spotrac's market valuations have notoriously been all over the place. Their market value is calculated from some algorithm they use, presumably based on stats and the player's age. They had Edmunds' market value as $11 million AAV before the offseason. Anyone who pays attention to the market could have told you a young athletic specimen coming off his best year, and entering a weak free agent class, was bound to earn at least $15 million AAV from a team with cap space to burn.

Similarly, a downhill only RB coming off his second injury ridden season is not getting anything close to the $7.1 million AAV Spotrac's algorithm laughably predicted for him.

What did Buffalo pay for Harris?

1 minute ago, RocCityRoller said:

Exactly.

People here act like Harris is some bum. He roasted this defense over and over again.

His name isn't Zeke/ Henry/ Fournette.

Same dude at this point in their careers and younger and cheaper.

He's arguably better than Zeke, and he's definitely better than Fournette, who looked shockingly bad last season. 

Henry would be a more impactful signing but certainly not a move I would want them to make considering the cost.

Harris is a good, smart signing.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

48 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

So 32 teams, 2 WR each = top 64. Even an American can do that math.

If our WR2 was worse than Top 64 I would agree with you.

But he's not. Far from it.

You do know our #2 was top 64 in yards, TDs, 1st downs per catch and yards per catch????

He was in fact top 40 in all of those categories.

Top 32-40 in most of them. Even top 15 in many.

The people TSW wanted to replace him did worse across the board last year, and I have proven it over and over again.

The issues last year were 1) poor OL, 2) rookie OC, 3) no WR3, 4) no run game

Fix those four things then look at WR2.

Beane's big splash was OG McGovern (#1 issue), Harty and Sherfield (#3 issue), Harris (#4 issue)

#2 comes with time an fixing the other issues.

Yours has not been addressed yet.. I wonder why.

Sorry but I was a big Gabe fan going into last year, but dude he was LOST last year. Not in the same page running the wrong way, tons of drops, miscommunications, just a brutal year. It was all mental too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.