Motor to Texans

FireChans

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

If Beane wanted Singletary back, I’d be worried.  

However it happened, (and I suspect we didn’t make a huge effort to get DS back) we ended up with a RB that makes way more sense for us. 

Cook / Harris / Hines is a pretty dynamic RB room.   Harris gives us power and pass blocking. Cook & Hines give us speed and pass catching.  

Singletary is a do it all RB that does nothing at a high level.  He was redundant and would have held back our Offense. 

No true...

In two of the most important things a Bills running back does, run the ball, of course, and protect Allen, he was one of the best in the league.  4.7 yards a carry and 6th best RB at pass blocking.  As  a receiver, almost 300 yards last year as well.

Imagine what he will do if he finds a team truly committed to a multi-dimensional attack...

Wish he was faster. Good tough player that I have nothing but respect for. He was like dollar general Thurman Thomas. If he only ran a 4.4 instead of a 4.7!  Wish him well in Houston. 

and apparently he was loved in that lockerroom. Football is a tough business. Especially for running backs.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DieHardBillsFan said:

I think he will have a 1000 yard year. He hasn't had Oline blocking down field for him with the Bills option style offense. This wont be the case in Houston. He was underrated here imo.

He's going to be the backup

• Like (+1) 1

I’m sorry to see him go. No, he wasn’t fast enough and put the ball on the ground a lot, but he was both rugged and clever running the ball. The best part? He ALWAYS was the first teammate to the ball carrier/WR who makes the play to help his teammate up. Subtle, but important part of a team.

Best wishes, Devin.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

No true...

In two of the most important things a Bills running back does, run the ball, of course, and protect Allen, he was one of the best in the league.  4.7 yards a carry and 6th best RB at pass blocking.  As  a receiver, almost 300 yards last year as well.

Imagine what he will do if he finds a team truly committed to a multi-dimensional attack...

He may even crack 1100 total yards then!

11 minutes ago, MJS said:

I sure hope he doesn't play well. Two Bills Drive can't handle it when former Bills players go somewhere else and produce.

…or when guys who were never Bills but they decided he was the guy that they wanted in the draft does well. That can be insufferable. Especially when you don’t hear about it until they’ve been producing in the league a couple years. 

20 minutes ago, filthymcnasty08 said:

Wish it worked out here.  He came up huge in spots.  Great kid, wish him nothing but upside in Houston.

I honestly think it worked out quite well as a Bill, it just didn’t work out for a 2nd contract for a RB. We got a lot of production over 4 years for a 3rd round pick.

I’m in a strange place. I really liked what he offered, his ability to make people miss and his 4.7 ypc. At the same time, I think more speed will be helpful, and I hope we can become more explosive. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/20/2023 at 5:37 PM, ngbills said:

The guy our coaches chose to get PT over the two guys still on our roster leaves. The response is "look I knew he sucks, nobody wants to pay him". What does this say about the guys we have on our roster to replace him and our coaches? I didn't really care if motor resigned. But its always funny how subtraction is celebrated as we get better. 

It means the coaching was not acceptable, going with someone they felt comfortable with vs trying something new. Don’t throw out ypg  crap which means nothing situationally , this was by the eye test a very  average back who couldn’t catch dependably and fumbled.  He had 13 career fumbles compared to the newly signed backs 3.  He was not dependable AT CRITICAL TIMES  INCLUDING PLAYOFF GAMES , yet this staff chose to keep cook and Hines on the bench predominantly, or weren’t creative enough to find ways to use them regularly. .

We know little about the guys we still have and that’s the coaching staffs fault , Dorsey or whomever was responsible.   What’s wrong with being ok with them moving on and not bringing back an OK back that ran his course for 4 years , knowing he lacked speed ( 4.6 40 ) and was not a consistent back in making impact plays  or in most ways despite whatever they kindly say about him in the press, which is a classy thing , BUT does not mean that’s how he was viewed behind closed doors. 

If he does turn into some pro bowl talent, it’s just further evidence that issues are this staff. Doubt that happens, zebras rarely change their stripes. People might attack me , insult me with crap statements  like “no disrespect” , which is just a guise for being disrespectful as they mean their OPINION is obviously the correct one and they have a need to make it known rather than just politely moving on, ( like opinionated , alphawuss, and not you in anyway ngbills ! ) , but i stand by my opinions i posted.   I think i have been validated with my OPINIONS, about edmunds /motor/McKenzie, being expendable and not likely coming back. Not saying that to be a wise a$$ but just that so many BILLS fans turn into such blind fans, they cant listen  to any reason ;  despite having a unicorn qb who has sniffed the afc championship 1 x compared to mahomes, who is just a year older but with 2 SB  wins,  we should have been more accomplished than we are.   

This has to raise concerns about the process and its implementation.  Younger staffs on Cincy, eagles, and MAYBE the fins & jets , have or are poised to bypass mcd in his 6th year. I am encouraged slightly by all the staff changes. We have had reg season success, but post season spectacular failings ( Houston , 13 seconds, Cincy game) are examples during mcd’s 4-5 postseason. My largest concern /issue with this staff is the concept of so much rotation in many aspects , which ends up with less talented players playing much higher snaps than they should.  McD is a Great human being, but honestly, it is time he has post season success as a true measurement of progress and the learning he repeatedly talks about.   That CINCY game was another spectacular failure , and its time for those spectacular losses to just not keep happening IN THE POSTSEASON . 

Along that line, despite how impressive the new back signing looks, it is still a slight red flag for me about this staff , esp with a very inexperienced oc in Dorsey. Really good teams usually are able to chose a bell cow/ # 1 Back whose traits they chose to depend on.  The 90’s teams relied on thurm mostly and Davis who was not extremely diff, just not the receiver thurm was. So , here we go once again with 3 backs of supposedly different traits, and it is dependent on Dorsey to find how to best use them while not giving away tendencies with his packages. I think it might work better than w/ motor but why wont this staff just buy into getting/drafting a 3 down , dependable , back who is THE go to guy , and sub when he needs a blow. That’s different that rotating packages. So while better and perhaps cap concerns dictate everything, i am not sure this staffs rotation emphasis is as successful as we are seeing other organizations having success sticking with less rotations of personnel.  KC seems to win without that same rotational dependency. 

I just wish they would go all in and try to get a talent like BIJON ( many analysts are saying the pats will take him so we may have no real shot), or the second overall rated back for example. Sorry, but once again , we are apparently rotating people , and it could work with different  talent , but it could also be a repeat with Harris who is a slight improvement , but he is not a 1st/2nd round talent.  He only did 21 pass pro reps in a season, so hopefully he is just running: but isn’t that a tendency give away yet again?  Harris’s and motor stats were almost identical except Harris was better in the afc east , which included the bills and we don’t play ourselves !   Maybe they turn COOK loose and use his speed ; maybe Harris is the goal line  /short yardage guy only. My issue is why cant they find or commit to getting a true game changing back?  We still can with the approaching draft , this signing excludes nothing.  I hope they keep adding offensive talent. We can win a SB , but our route there is doing everything we can to support Josh  in all offensive facets. Like i think ngbills is addressing;  we may have more coaching issues than prior talent issues, but imo , moving on from motor was inevitable as we didn’t achieve the ultimate goal with him.  

5 hours ago, DrPJax said:

It means the coaching was not acceptable, going with someone they felt comfortable with vs trying something new. Don’t throw out ypg  crap which means nothing situationally , this was by the eye test a very  average back who couldn’t catch dependably and fumbled.  He had 13 career fumbles compared to the newly signed backs 3.  He was not dependable AT CRITICAL TIMES  INCLUDING PLAYOFF GAMES , yet this staff chose to keep cook and Hines on the bench predominantly, or weren’t creative enough to find ways to use them regularly. .

We know little about the guys we still have and that’s the coaching staffs fault , Dorsey or whomever was responsible.   What’s wrong with being ok with them moving on and not bringing back an OK back that ran his course for 4 years , knowing he lacked speed ( 4.6 40 ) and was not a consistent back in making impact plays  or in most ways despite whatever they kindly say about him in the press, which is a classy thing , BUT does not mean that’s how he was viewed behind closed doors. 

If he does turn into some pro bowl talent, it’s just further evidence that issues are this staff. Doubt that happens, zebras rarely change their stripes. People might attack me , insult me with crap statements  like “no disrespect” , which is just a guise for being disrespectful as they mean their OPINION is obviously the correct one and they have a need to make it known rather than just politely moving on, ( like opinionated , alphawuss, and not you in anyway ngbills ! ) , but i stand by my opinions i posted.   I think i have been validated with my OPINIONS, about edmunds /motor/McKenzie, being expendable and not likely coming back. Not saying that to be a wise a$$ but just that so many BILLS fans turn into such blind fans, they cant listen  to any reason ;  despite having a unicorn qb who has sniffed the afc championship 1 x compared to mahomes, who is just a year older but with 2 SB  wins,  we should have been more accomplished than we are.   

This has to raise concerns about the process and its implementation.  Younger staffs on Cincy, eagles, and MAYBE the fins & jets , have or are poised to bypass mcd in his 6th year. I am encouraged slightly by all the staff changes. We have had reg season success, but post season spectacular failings ( Houston , 13 seconds, Cincy game) are examples during mcd’s 4-5 postseason. My largest concern /issue with this staff is the concept of so much rotation in many aspects , which ends up with less talented players playing much higher snaps than they should.  McD is a Great human being, but honestly, it is time he has post season success as a true measurement of progress and the learning he repeatedly talks about.   That CINCY game was another spectacular failure , and its time for those spectacular losses to just not keep happening IN THE POSTSEASON . 

Along that line, despite how impressive the new back signing looks, it is still a slight red flag for me about this staff , esp with a very inexperienced oc in Dorsey. Really good teams usually are able to chose a bell cow/ # 1 Back whose traits they chose to depend on.  The 90’s teams relied on thurm mostly and Davis who was not extremely diff, just not the receiver thurm was. So , here we go once again with 3 backs of supposedly different traits, and it is dependent on Dorsey to find how to best use them while not giving away tendencies with his packages. I think it might work better than w/ motor but why wont this staff just buy into getting/drafting a 3 down , dependable , back who is THE go to guy , and sub when he needs a blow. That’s different that rotating packages. So while better and perhaps cap concerns dictate everything, i am not sure this staffs rotation emphasis is as successful as we are seeing other organizations having success sticking with less rotations of personnel.  KC seems to win without that same rotational dependency. 

I just wish they would go all in and try to get a talent like BIJON ( many analysts are saying the pats will take him so we may have no real shot), or the second overall rated back for example. Sorry, but once again , we are apparently rotating people , and it could work with different  talent , but it could also be a repeat with Harris who is a slight improvement , but he is not a 1st/2nd round talent.  He only did 21 pass pro reps in a season, so hopefully he is just running: but isn’t that a tendency give away yet again?  Harris’s and motor stats were almost identical except Harris was better in the afc east , which included the bills and we don’t play ourselves !   Maybe they turn COOK loose and use his speed ; maybe Harris is the goal line  /short yardage guy only. My issue is why cant they find or commit to getting a true game changing back?  We still can with the approaching draft , this signing excludes nothing.  I hope they keep adding offensive talent. We can win a SB , but our route there is doing everything we can to support Josh  in all offensive facets. Like i think ngbills is addressing;  we may have more coaching issues than prior talent issues, but imo , moving on from motor was inevitable as we didn’t achieve the ultimate goal with him.  

We’re famous.  Google and Wikipedia will now link here every time someone searches “TL;DR”.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.