Motor to Texans

FireChans

For that figure, I'm disappointed we let him go.  "Up to $3.75" to me means, "probably $3 or less".  Minimum wage is over $1m after a few yrs experience.  Yes, he was lacking breakaway speed & he certainly wasn't the "big back" we're clamoring for, but our RBs aren't used that much, & for that amount of cap space, I think he would've been worth retaining.  Heck, a 2 yr "Up to $7.5m contract, w/ maybe a $2m SB & "minimum wage" this year & hold onto him this year & see if Cook really is worthy of getting the majority of playing time.

I can only hope this means we're bringing in a "big back" to be our #2.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, babulator said:

I never understood the hate for motor. Not everyone is going to be elite, but I thought he was a solid football player and likeable guy. Can't expect him to block DL's or LB's but I thought he did well in protection and was pretty elusive. His career stats say he can play ball. Get that money motor!

I never hated Devin at all.  He's a good player and teammate.  It's just the way the RB world is in the NFL.

When Cook got drafted I think his chances of another contract in Buffalo was highly diminished.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

This is less about the RB and more on the OC, but it seemed (at least to me?) our personnel groupings were tipping what we were going to do too often. Dorsey may be great in the long run, but like any rookie I hope he makes a big leap in year 2. 

Now, back to your regularly scheduled RB debate. 

They were the second best offense in the league. Not a ton of room for some big leap

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

That's it Bills fans.  It is going to mean if Beane signs a big dollar UFA before the draft it costs a 3rd round pick next year.

I doubt strongly he gives that up.  He's only going to sign vet minimum type guys to bring to camp to compete.

We can take a break from FA and look to the draft.

After the draft I see the RB signed.

Wagner was released and is not UFA. 

He should not count in the formula 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Under utilized his entire tenure in Buffalo. Still remember the playoff game vs. Houston a few years back where he was balling in the 1st half and in the 2nd half they completely went away from him and of course we lost. 

Under-utilized would imply that he provided a ton of value that was untapped.

His market was 1 year, up to $3.75M.

Seems like everyone knew what he was and preferred to trust a $30M/yr Superstar QB instead when it mattered.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, eSJayDee said:

For that figure, I'm disappointed we let him go.  "Up to $3.75" to me means, "probably $3 or less".  Minimum wage is over $1m after a few yrs experience.  Yes, he was lacking breakaway speed & he certainly wasn't the "big back" we're clamoring for, but our RBs aren't used that much, & for that amount of cap space, I think he would've been worth retaining.  Heck, a 2 yr "Up to $7.5m contract, w/ maybe a $2m SB & "minimum wage" this year & hold onto him this year & see if Cook really is worthy of getting the majority of playing time.

I’m not disappointed as you are, but I find it slightly confusing. They obviously liked him better than Cook and Hines based on carries, but you let him walk for peanuts. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Under utilized his entire tenure in Buffalo. Still remember the playoff game vs. Houston a few years back where he was balling in the 1st half and in the 2nd half they completely went away from him and of course we lost. 

Underutilized??  Do you think he had Thurman Thomas, Lasean McCoy or even Fred Jackson ability?!!  The guy was a decent RB at times.  Had stone hands out of the backfield.  But he was nothing that can not be replaced.  And did not have anything that would remotely be considered a unique skill set.  Time for a bigger bruising back who can carry would be tacklers

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The days of ever seeing an expensive big name RB in Buffalo is over.  It will be 4 year rookie contracts galore.  One after another. 

I agree, and I’m fine with it. I just hope McD gets over his rookie phobia to actually let these backs play more their rookie season. 

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

The guy our coaches chose to get PT over the two guys still on our roster leaves. The response is "look I knew he sucks, nobody wants to pay him". What does this say about the guys we have on our roster to replace him and our coaches? I didn't really care if motor resigned. But its always funny how subtraction is celebrated as we get better. 

hopefully it says that the rookie and the guy traded for at thanksgiving are ready to surpass what he gave us previously in the upcoming season 

26 minutes ago, benderbender said:

My only question is did we make an offer?

It’s crazy that people still don’t understand why we didn’t, even after Beane said they’re looking for a different body type.

We did not need Motor on offense. The skill set we needed was short distance running, pass blocking, and/or Special Teams. Motor is none of those things. Why would we make an offer?

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, eSJayDee said:

If we target a non qualifying back, we could be talking essentially trading motor for a third by letting him walk. Most would be ok with it in those terms.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.