Motor to Texans

FireChans

One of the most glaring weaknesses on last year's team was the lack of a meaningful running game.  As Greg Cosell said often, it was as if the running game and passing game were not related in Buffalo.  He talked as if the running game was just seemingly something arbitrary for the Bills. 

Unfortunately that never changed, though at times, after certain games, we thought maybe there was a breakthrough, and that the coaches would then make the running game a more integral part of the offense. Never happened.  This meant the extremely one dimensional Bills had no chance at competing for a championship last year. And Josh Allen, without either a viable short passing game and running game last year, was forced to play 'hero ball'--he had no choice, as it was clearly all on him. That is why he regressed, took steps back.

Now in the off season, the Bills continue on the same path,  now losing their only proven starter at running back.  Singletary has one of the best YPC in the league since he arrived, is in the top ten of backs as a pass blocker, and a very good, yet underused, receiver.   He is also a very high character guy, a team leader, is very durable, and shows excellent drive.

The Bills are so good, so sure of themselves at running back, that they could afford to get rid of this guy, their only proven starting running back? Is that it?

Or, is it more about what Greg Cosell implied, that the running game is merely an afterthought with the Bills now?

What will Motor earn in Houston  the next few years, 3 million a year? 4? Less?

What an illogical and stupid move by the Bills, eliminating such a good player from a part of their team that they are now undervaluing in ways that are catastrophic to our goal of winning a championship. You would think that by almost eliminating their once very good short passing game by letting their only proven slot receiver go last year, and then not taking the run game seriously either, the Bills would have seen the error of their ways.  Looks like no such luck.  Now they're doing the same things with their running game--no proven starting running back there now for next year. "Not a big deal, as we have Josh Allen', is what they seem to be saying.

Been a big supporter of Beane and McDermott, but not now.  They can't see the forest through the trees. Without a good running game, a commitment to it, the Bills, and Allen will never reach their potential.  And never compete for a championship.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

Value of running backs is nothing close to what is used to be. This is why I can't stand the people that wanna sign a big name running back for 10-15 mill a season. NO THANKYOU 

But what if James Cook can recruit his brother Dalvin to come to town on a mega deal so James can sit on the bench?

15 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Should have released him. Sign him back later if they still wanted him. Based on this RB market I doubt his phone would have been blowing up. 

We've all seen it. 

This obsession with smaller, pass catching running backs, that the Bills don't use in that capacity. 

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

Value of running backs is nothing close to what is used to be. This is why I can't stand the people that wanna sign a big name running back for 10-15 mill a season. NO THANKYOU 

People just keep repeating this ridiculous cliche for years now.  

Keeping a very good starter for under 5 million a year, on a team with extremely little depth at running back, and no proven starters, was  a no brainer to me.

And anyone who has watched the Bills closely over the last few years would never say that the running game is not that important any more.

I'm sure it's been said, but this is a guy who came in and gave it his all with a good attitude, was a good teammate, and by all accounts a respectable person. He played his best, I don't think anyone can deny that. This is a guy that we should all be cheering for in his future despite wearing different laundry. 

• Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Keeping a very good starter for under 5 million a year, on a team with extremely little depth at running back, and no proven starters, was  a no brainer to me.

And anyone who has watched the Bills closely over the last few years would never say that the running game is not that important any more.

Hate to see this since Motor is my daughter’s favorite, and I think he was pretty solid.  But our run game will improve based on the line improving, not because of a specific back.

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Andy1 said:

Devin could easily be #7 on the list if we used him more.

Notice his 4.7 YPC and how that is better than a lot of big names in Bills history. And he did it by making people miss at or behind the LOS FAR too often. I think he was under-appreciated by many Bills fans.  

10 minutes ago, ßookie_tech said:

Not a bad paycheck I guess. 

I consider every day I make that much money to be a good day. But I guess it’s pocket change for some of you!   😋

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

But what if James Cook can recruit his brother Dalvin to come to town on a mega deal so James can sit on the bench?

The days of ever seeing an expensive big name RB in Buffalo is over.  It will be 4 year rookie contracts galore.  One after another. 

4 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

He runs a 4.67 40. 

There was just no reason to re-sign him because the same model comes out every season on a rookie deal, and they're 22 years old. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.