WR Trent Sherfield signed

Chandler#81

5 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Alpha you forgot one important fact. A healthy Bills offense scored a measly 10 points vs the Bengals in a huge home playoff game. 

That just can't happen. All those regular season stats go out the window come playoff time. 

The Bills weak oline was exposed, lack of WRs talent was exposed, and Dorsey was out coached and out schemed. 

In short, the top regular season offense was stymied. 

To be fair to the Bills, there were a lot of reasons, including being a high volume passing team playing in difficult snowy conditions didn't help.  Dorsey getting completely out classed didn't help.  Our inability to establish a move the chains running game contributed to that.  Not to mention all the mental toll the team and organization went through over the course of the season.

In 2023, Cincy scored just 20 points with all its weapons against the Chiefs to lose the AFCCG

In 2022 the Chiefs scored just 3 points in the 2nd half against Cincy to lose the AFCCG.

In 2021, the Chiefs scored 9 points in the Super Bowl in perfect conditions to lose that game.  

In 2019 the Rams and their #2 offense in the league were held to 3 points in their Super Bowl loss. 

Even the two greatest offensive seasons in history lost in the SB with low scoring efforts.

In 2014, the Broncos broke the NFL scoring record and then was held to 8 points in the Super Bowl.  

In 2008 the Patriots broke the NFL scoring record and then was held to 14 points in the Super Bowl.

So that happens to every team regardless of potency of the offense and it happens every year.  Can't disregard a team as an offensive powerhouse over one game.

Now I don't disagree we need to improve things like the OL and WR room, or even that Dorsey needs to step up and improve himself.  But the point remains, it is not critical to have two #1 WR's on a team for the offense to be elite or win a SB.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

43 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

How do you figure that 85% chance?  I would like to believe you.

Educated guess, I guess? :)

I just think that people here don't believe that Bills FO can evolve. Yes they invested little bit more in the defense in the past, but I think that they now see what most people on this board see. I can't exclude that they will draft LB in round 1, if there is a value, but I am pretty sure that they overall focus will be offense. Just my opinion of course.

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I think it’s time for you to let it go
Time to look forward to this next season

How do you think it's looking? 

Bills should win the AFC East again right? 

How do you think the oline and dline will be going forward? 

Have the Bills upgraded the WR core enough? 

Will Tre be Tre and Von be Von.

Is this the year guys like AJ, Boogie, Gabe, Spencer Brown, Cook, Hines, Shakir, etc...step up and play much better?

Does the coaching staff do well. Dorsey and McD presumably taking over the defense? 

• Eyeroll 1

Like many here, I wasn't happy with Gabe this past season.   Too many drops and too infrequently open.  

But with our cap situation, I didn't expect we'd sign Gabe's replacement.  I'm glad, though, Beane got a couple of legit guys with speed.   

And I think/hope Sherfield has some upside.   His actual talent and ability to contribute might be better than his resume suggests.  

Gabe is still #2 but Harty and Sherfield will see the field.  

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Still believe the final addition to the WR room needs to be someone that can push Gabe Davis

I have to believe Bills take a WR in first 3 rounds to challenge for #2 spot and to possibly replace Davis next year.  One must remember how they develop rookies and limit their snaps (see Davis in 2020 and Shakir in 2022) through the first year.  Given Sherfield is on a 1 year deal it makes even more sense to get a solid WR on roster via draft this year.

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

It was one game.  They were scoring consistently in the 30s prior to that one game.   And you seem to want to overhaul the o line, get a new set of receivers, and can Dorsey.   

As I've said, I think your focus is 2/3 correct, but the solutions aren't very drastic.   The Bills don't need any more or any better receivers.   I mean, sure, I'd always like better receivers, but with Diggs, Davis, and Knox, the Bills had the seventh best passing offense in the league.  They now have Shakir and Cook coming into their second seasons, and they have added two good receivers to the room.  It ain't about the receivers.

O line sure looks to me like it could be better, but have you looked at the stats?   8th fewest sacks (Bengals were 20th).  11th fewest sacks (tied with Bengals).  Still, I would love to see at least on true stud on the offensive line - in my opinion there isn't one now, and that makes both running and passing less consistent.

But when we look at the stats, the Bills are all over the top of all the right lists.   Where they've fallen down is in - here it is, one of McDermott's favorites - situational football.  And that is on the coaches.  With Josh Allen and the skill players the Bills have, the offense should be able to deliver when it needs to.  All they need is to be in the right play.  

Dorsey, Dorsey, Dorsey.

You lost me at the "have you looked at the stats?" for the OL.

We know that Allen's mobility and his willingness to bail out of the pocket and extend the play or run, make stats on sacks rather deceptive when evaluating the actual OL quality. 

I believe McDermott has acknowledged that Allen was affected in the pocket more than they'd like.  He's also developing bad habits - Greg Cosell has commented on how you can't tell why Allen will leave the pocket (eg, he may be feeling phantom pressure) and Kurt Warner that he will bail from the pocket when he has a play if he stays and throws.  I think that means at least as much as sack stats in assessing OL quality.  JMO.

Yes, it's one game, but it's one game against the team that played in the Superbowl in 2021 and the AFCCG in 2022. 

We also scored  24 or fewer points in 7 games, 3 of which we lost.

If the goal is for the Bills to take a step and win a championship, is the best metric really how many points we score against any 'ol team on our schedule?  Or is it appropriate to focus on how we score against the top competition in the league, like KC and Cincinnati, or top defenses like the Jets?

I disagree that we don't need better WR.  We'll see if Shakir takes a step - I'd love to see it.  But when I watch the top teams in the league, I see WR running routes and making catches that pretty much only Diggs on the Bills can pull off.

Edited by Beck Water

46 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Now I don't disagree we need to improve things like the OL and WR room, or even that Dorsey needs to step up and improve himself.  But the point remains, it is not critical to have two #1 WR's on a team for the offense to be elite or win a SB.  

I can agree with that.  There are lots of ways to create "enough" offense.  But I would argue you need at least 2 elite playmakers of some sort - a RB, a TE, a slot - or maybe one elite and two very good players. 

In any event, the Bills were short last season, and I'm not sure the FA moves to date fill that gap.  I'm hoping they intend to look in the draft.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

It was one game.  They were scoring consistently in the 30s prior to that one game.   And you seem to want to overhaul the o line, get a new set of receivers, and can Dorsey.   

As I've said, I think your focus is 2/3 correct, but the solutions aren't very drastic.   The Bills don't need any more or any better receivers.   I mean, sure, I'd always like better receivers, but with Diggs, Davis, and Knox, the Bills had the seventh best passing offense in the league.  They now have Shakir and Cook coming into their second seasons, and they have added two good receivers to the room.  It ain't about the receivers.

O line sure looks to me like it could be better, but have you looked at the stats?   8th fewest sacks (Bengals were 20th).  11th fewest sacks (tied with Bengals).  Still, I would love to see at least on true stud on the offensive line - in my opinion there isn't one now, and that makes both running and passing less consistent.

But when we look at the stats, the Bills are all over the top of all the right lists.   Where they've fallen down is in - here it is, one of McDermott's favorites - situational football.  And that is on the coaches.  With Josh Allen and the skill players the Bills have, the offense should be able to deliver when it needs to.  All they need is to be in the right play.  

Dorsey, Dorsey, Dorsey. 

Our OL was ranked 28th over-all last season Shaw. Of course you're going to look great (8th) in sacks allowed because your " run for his life" qb left the pocket 10min ago.  Saffold & Brown were abysmal. Morse is good but 1 concussion away from retirement. Davis' 51% catch rate was embarrassing.  We didn't even bother throwing to Knox the first half of the season.  Dorsey looked like a typical rookie OC.  I'll give him a pass but this offense is 1 dimensional.  JA to 14.  They must find that identify where one play sets up another. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

So what you are saying the Bills will make no effort to upgrade WR#2 and are willing to fall on the sword for Gabe "Inconsistent" Davis and possibly waste another year of Allen's career.

They may be willing to let him compete in camp but I don't believe they will ignore what ALL of us saw from Gabe last year

They already made the decision to.  The money is tied up.   No draft pick coming in is going to start over Gabe.

Gabe Davis is the number 2 WR on this team.

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Whether you like it or not, this regime loves Gabe Davis.  He will be the number 2 WR here next year.  

I hope you are wrong. Gabe proved he isn't a very good number 2. I have to believe the Bills brass can see the obvious too. Gabe is a very good 3 or 4 WR. That's where he belongs. 

23 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Our OL was ranked 28th over-all last season Shaw. Of course you're going to look great (8th) in sacks allowed because your " run for his life" qb left the pocket 10min ago.  Saffold & Brown were abysmal. Morse is good but 1 concussion away from retirement. Davis' 51% catch rate was embarrassing.  We didn't even bother throwing to Knox the first half of the season.  Dorsey looked like a typical rookie OC.  I'll give him a pass but this offense is 1 dimensional.  JA to 14.  They must find that identify where one play sets up another. 

I wouldn't go that far.  The Bills ranked well in both sacks and pressures, and I wouldn't say abysmal, but if you could put together a compilation of my posts for the past couple of weeks, you'll see I agree completely.  O line has to be better, and Dorsey has to be better.  

And I don't think it has much to do with any skill position.  If the O line does what it has to do, and if Dorsey does what he has to do, then the current collection of skill position players is more than good enough.   I like that the running back room has gotten more diverse.   Cook and Harris offer an interesting and difficult change of pace, because as someone said, Harris runs like we hoped Moss would run, and Cook runs with the juice that was just beyond Singletary's reach.  Even Hines offers something a little different.  Diggs and Davis offer two different styles, and Shakir and the new guys, too, all seem to offer a different mix of talents.   Point is, the Bills' attack could be as diverse as you want to make it - they could play ANY style.   Allen can run ANY style, and contribute.   It all depends on the offensive line and on someone creative enough to use the different styles against different opponents. 

O line and Dorsey.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

They already made the decision to.  The money is tied up.   No draft pick coming in is going to start over Gabe.

I'm not sure what you mean by "They already made the decision to" and "the money is tied up".

Could you explain please?

Edited by Beck Water

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I wouldn't go that far.  The Bills ranked well in both sacks and pressures, and I wouldn't say abysmal, but if you could put together a compilation of my posts for the past couple of weeks, you'll see I agree completely.  O line has to be better, and Dorsey has to be better.  

And I don't think it has much to do with any skill position.  If the O line does what it has to do, and if Dorsey does what he has to do, then the current collection of skill position players is more than good enough.   I like that the running back room has gotten more diverse.   Cook and Harris offer an interesting and difficult change of pace, because as someone said, Harris runs like we hoped Moss would run, and Cook runs with the juice that was just beyond Singletary's reach.  Even Hines offers something a little different.  Diggs and Davis offer two different styles, and Shakir and the new guys, too, all seem to offer a different mix of talents.   Point is, the Bills' attack could be as diverse as you want to make it - they could play ANY style.   Allen can run ANY style, and contribute.   It all depends on the offensive line and on someone creative enough to use the different styles against different opponents. 

O line and Dorsey.

I look at this and go back and forth a bit.  Fundamentally, I agree much more than I disagree that the two biggest areas for improvement are OL and Dorsey, with Allen re-discovering his willingness to play a more diverse game and take advantage of the timely short pass to a player who can create YAC a strong third.

That said, let me ask you this:  the Bills came out of 2019 with John Brown as a proven >1000 yd receiver and Beasley as a 67 reception, ~800 yd slot.  They went into 2020 with Stefon Diggs as #1 and Brown and Beasley as #2 and #3, then added Davis as a promising rookie "ahead of schedule".

Do you feel we are anything near to the same place as far as proven WR talent to where we were going into the 2020 season?

Likewise, in 2021 we went into the season with Diggs, Emmanuel Sanders (a more complete WR than Brown with several >1000 yd seasons and still capable), Beasley just off an almost-1000 yd season, and Davis just off a promising, 35 reception 600 yd rookie year.

Do you feel we are anything near to the same place as far as proven WR talent to where we were going into the 2021 season?

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

complete nonsense

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.