WR Trent Sherfield signed

Chandler#81

7 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

I bet of all the people making fun of this guy for being unknown couldn't name any of the players who teamed with Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen.

Hard to get attention for a "speed WR" stuck on a team with the highest profile WR duo in the league, and Tua/whatever backup at QB.

I doubt that since one of those players was such a personality off the field he was best buds with a Korean dictator. 

12 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The fact you just called JuJu a 1B WR says everything.  He is not a 1B WR, which implies he is a legit #1 WR in which JuJu has proven he is not a quality #1 WR and has never had a 1,000 yard season as a #1 WR on any team, not even in KC with the reigning MVP and SB MVP Mahomes.  

LMAO at your forgetful memory here...you said most teams are investing first round picks and 2-3rd round picks every year...not only is that not true, but the Bills have actually done that.  We invested a first (and a 4th) into Diggs a #1 WR...we drafted Knox (who has been a big TD producer) with a 3rd who we just extended long term, used a 4th on Davis who is our starting #2 WR...all in the last 3 years.  

You say Philly and Cincy...Bills finished 2022 with #2 Offense in the NFL ahead of BOTH Philly and Cincy and behind only KC, who has never drafted a first round WR in the Reid era.  In fact, since 2020, Buffalo has never finished lower than 3rd offensively in the NFL, and always ahead of both Cincy and Philly, and even KC in 2020 and 2021.  So yeah, this whole we must have a 1B WR is nonsense.

Basically, we are doing what you are asking by spending a 1st, 3rd, and 2 4th round picks on what was a #1 WR, #2 WR, and a starting TE who just got extended...all over the past 3 years.  Yet you complain we aren't.  LOL

Alpha you forgot one important fact. A healthy Bills offense scored a measly 10 points vs the Bengals in a huge home playoff game. 

That just can't happen. All those regular season stats go out the window come playoff time. 

The Bills weak oline was exposed, lack of WRs talent was exposed, and Dorsey was out coached and out schemed. 

In short, the top regular season offense was stymied. 

9 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Lets hope Ken Dorsey agrees with you

Dorsey, Dorsey, Dorsey.   As far as I'm concerned, it's all about Dorsey.  If the Bills protect Allen, there are more than enough skill position players for them to attack all over the field.  Dorsey has to understand what defenses are doing and adjust from week to week and in games.  If he can do that, the Bills can be unstoppable. 

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Alpha you forgot one important fact. A healthy Bills offense scored a measly 10 points vs the Bengals in a huge home playoff game. 

That just can't happen. All those regular season stats go out the window come playoff time. 

The Bills weak oline was exposed, lack of WRs talent was exposed, and Dorsey was out coached and out schemed. 

I think it’s time for you to let it go
Time to look forward to this next season

• Thank you (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Weak argument.  And JuJu is not a 1B by any means, so your point on Kelce is totally irrelevant to the posters comment I responded to asking why don’t we get to have a 1B WR.

I was not responding to some other poster.  I was responding to YOU and your comment  it was KC who won and didn’t have a 1A let alone a 1B at WR."

You can't really make an argument that KC doesn't have a #1 receiver.   Travis Kelce is not only KC's #1 receiver, he's a top receiver in the league.

You can make the point that he isn't a WR, but a TE, but when he functions as a #1 receiver I think that looks like a semantic quibble.  He runs WR routes, he makes WR level # of receptions and yards.

19 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

KC just won the SB without a 1B WR as they absolutely do not have a 1B WR on that team to Kelce.  JuJu is a decent #2 WR but he stinks as a WR1 and has proven that on the field.  

Now you get into a semantic argument "what does 1B WR mean?"  I'm not gonna go there with you.  My statement was that Juju was a #1B or at least a #2.

Smith Schuster is one of the top 32 receivers in the league by multiple criteria - #24 for # of receptions, #12 or so for catch % by a WR or TE at 77%, #24 for yards, #25 for 1D, #32 for Y/G.  To many people, that would qualify him as a #1B or 2, you want to say OK he's a #2 I'm fine with that - he was arguably one of the best #2 in the league if you want to call him that.

By the way you want to talk "weak argument", "he stinks" tops the list.

23 hours ago, Happy Days Lois & Clark said:

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/lists/nfl-free-agency-panthers-wrs-zach-pascal-marquise-goodwin-trent-sherfield-brandon-powell/

We got one more home run hitter for you, albeit a really under-the-radar name.

Sherfield hasn’t made many waves in the grand scheme of things, totaling just 844 yards and four touchdowns over five seasons. But if you ask any Miami Dolphins fan, he’s a guy who’s made quite an impression in South Beach.

The 6-foot-1, 219-pounder is a potent presence from the slot. He can create space with and without the ball and could make a wider imprint if given the opportunities.

I hope so the key phrase is "If given the opportunity" there have been a few on the Bills roster that fit into that category unfortunately . But i hope this guy is what the Bills need moving forward .

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

*th 

It was one game.  They were scoring consistently in the 30s prior to that one game.   And you seem to want to overhaul the o line, get a new set of receivers, and can Dorsey.   

As I've said, I think your focus is 2/3 correct, but the solutions aren't very drastic.   The Bills don't need any more or any better receivers.   I mean, sure, I'd always like better receivers, but with Diggs, Davis, and Knox, the Bills had the seventh best passing offense in the league.  They now have Shakir and Cook coming into their second seasons, and they have added two good receivers to the room.  It ain't about the receivers.

O line sure looks to me like it could be better, but have you looked at the stats?   8th fewest sacks (Bengals were 20th).  11th fewest sacks (tied with Bengals).  Still, I would love to see at least on true stud on the offensive line - in my opinion there isn't one now, and that makes both running and passing less consistent.

But when we look at the stats, the Bills are all over the top of all the right lists.   Where they've fallen down is in - here it is, one of McDermott's favorites - situational football.  And that is on the coaches.  With Josh Allen and the skill players the Bills have, the offense should be able to deliver when it needs to.  All they need is to be in the right play.  

Dorsey, Dorsey, Dorsey. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I was not responding to some other poster.  I was responding to YOU and your comment  it was KC who won and didn’t have a 1A let alone a 1B at WR."

You can't really make an argument that KC doesn't have a #1 receiver.   Travis Kelce is not only KC's #1 receiver, he's a top receiver in the league.

You can make the point that he isn't a WR, but a TE, but when he functions as a #1 receiver I think that looks like a semantic quibble.  He runs WR routes, he makes WR level # of receptions and yards.

Now you get into a semantic argument "what does 1B WR mean?"  I'm not gonna go there with you.  My statement was that Juju was a #1B or at least a #2.

Smith Schuster is one of the top 32 receivers in the league by multiple criteria - #24 for # of receptions, #12 or so for catch % by a WR or TE at 77%, #24 for yards, #25 for 1D, #32 for Y/G.  To many people, that would qualify him as a #1B or 2, you want to say OK he's a #2 I'm fine with that - he was arguably one of the best #2 in the league if you want to call him that.

I can't say I've been following what you and Alpha, have been talking about, but from what I can tell, I think Alpha's largely right.  

I mean, I agree with you that Smith Schuster is a fine #2.  I wouldn't take him over Davis, but that's a different discussion.  From I can tell, people have been arguing about getting a "1B" to be the #2.  A 1B is a lesser #1, a guy you really don't want to be your number 1, but he can be useful in that role.  Stevie Johnson was 1B.  Doesn't strike fear in anyone, but makes plays for you.  Stevie, like JuJu, is a very nice #2.  The real point is that JuJu is NOT some kind of magic remedy for the Bills offense.   He's just a guy who's going to get you 900 yards, thank you very much.  (Which is what Davis gets you.)    Is it possible that JuJu will get you 1200 as #2?  Maybe, but if he does it won't be because he's JuJu, it will be because the offensive coordinator know how to run a passing offense.  (By the way, he WAS, as you point out, the #1B to a #1, and he DID play for a great passing offensive coordinator, and he got 933 yards, which is essentially what Davis got.) 

And I think you misperceive who Kelce is.  Yes, he posts #1 receiver numbers, and yes, he's their go-to guy and he delivers.   But he's a very talented, including very smart, tight end playing in a system designed for him.   He does not run tight end routes to make his money.   He does not split wide and run 13-17 out patterns to the sideline.  Why not?  Because he can't get separation out there.  He lives over the middle.  Tight ends and slot receivers are NOT the most physically gifted receivers on the team, so the team gives them the advantage of lining up in the middle of the field, which allows them to attack deep and to both sidelines.  Wideouts start with a disadvantage, because the defenders know that they have help from the sideline.   But good wideouts, including Diggs and Davis, can get open despite lining up wide.  

Kelce is a #1 because Reid made him a #1 with his offensive design and with a talented QB pulling the trigger.  

4 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

It was one game.  They were scoring consistently in the 30s prior to that one game.   And you seem to want to overhaul the o line, get a new set of receivers, and can Dorsey.   

As I've said, I think your focus is 2/3 correct, but the solutions aren't very drastic.   The Bills don't need any more or any better receivers.   I mean, sure, I'd always like better receivers, but with Diggs, Davis, and Knox, the Bills had the seventh best passing offense in the league.  They now have Shakir and Cook coming into their second seasons, and they have added two good receivers to the room.  It ain't about the receivers.

O line sure looks to me like it could be better, but have you looked at the stats?   8th fewest sacks (Bengals were 20th).  11th fewest sacks (tied with Bengals).  Still, I would love to see at least on true stud on the offensive line - in my opinion there isn't one now, and that makes both running and passing less consistent.

But when we look at the stats, the Bills are all over the top of all the right lists.   Where they've fallen down is in - here it is, one of McDermott's favorites - situational football.  And that is on the coaches.  With Josh Allen and the skill players the Bills have, the offense should be able to deliver when it needs to.  All they need is to be in the right play.  

Dorsey, Dorsey, Dorsey. 

That one game cannot be overlooked. I'm sorry all the regular season stats really don't mean much. 

You make fair points and I agree with plenty of them.

The offense will always put up good to great stats simple because number 17 is at the helm. Clearly, he can't do it by himself. The Bills have been far too long without giving Allen good protection and weapons.

The Bills added an olineman and 2 WRs. Hopefully, they can contribute enough to make a difference. 

I never advocated for an overhaul. I am glad Fraizer is gone. I'm not sold on Dorsey. He seems to have a lot to learn. The offense was kind of schzophrenic last year. 

Let's see what else the Bills do as far as moves. I am the least confident in several years.

Beane really hurt the team with his many misses when Allen was on his rookie contract. That never seems to get addressed by the media or many here.  Seems like other teams passed the Bills while others and are right on their tails. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

And I think you misperceive who Kelce is.  Yes, he posts #1 receiver numbers, and yes, he's their go-to guy and he delivers.   But he's a very talented, including very smart, tight end playing in a system designed for him.   He does not run tight end routes to make his money.   He does not split wide and run 13-17 out patterns to the sideline.  Why not?  Because he can't get separation out there.  He lives over the middle.  Tight ends and slot receivers are NOT the most physically gifted receivers on the team, so the team gives them the advantage of lining up in the middle of the field, which allows them to attack deep and to both sidelines.  Wideouts start with a disadvantage, because the defenders know that they have help from the sideline.   But good wideouts, including Diggs and Davis, can get open despite lining up wide.  

Kelce is a #1 because Reid made him a #1 with his offensive design and with a talented QB pulling the trigger.  

Kelce does split wide and run out patterns to the sideline at times (you might be surprised how much), but that's probably a quibble.  They're not his bread and butter, I agree.  But the thing about Kelce is, he doesn't need to be able to get great separation with speed.  He can do a subtle push-off that helps him separate, but at 6'5" and 256, it takes a very athletic CB and help in coverage to defend him because it's "always open a foot over his head" and if the CB leaps to make a play on the ball but Kelce catches it anyway, he's gone.  As far as slots and TE NOT being the most physically gifted receivers on the team (emphasis yours) - Do you really want to make an argument that Kelce isn't one of the most physically gifted players on the KC team?  I wouldn't go there myself. 

I agree of course that KC tailors their offense to him, but I'm not sure what your point is - offenses all tailor to their best skill players.  We tailored to Beasley.  And for that matter, do you want to argue that 2020 Beasley wasn't one of the most physically gifted players on the Bills team in his prime?  Think of that one-handed leaping sideline catch during the AZ game.  Not the fastest, no, but one of the most physically gifted, yes.

I think you might also be surprised at how much, when you look under the hood, the "most gifted WR on the team", the #1, for many teams, actually lines up in the slot or in a stacked formation.  I believe Diggs played about 30% from the slot this season, and I remember hearing that one of the drivers for Jefferson's phenomenal season with the Vikings was that he played much more from the slot last season.

Bottom line, I don't think you get to exclude Kelce from being the Chief's #1 receiver on the grounds of "living over the middle", unless you also look at how much all the other top receivers last season "lived over the middle" and exclude them too, and look at how much other teams tailor their offense to their #1.  It's analogous to discounting the Bills run game as too reliant on Allen, then comparing to other teams without subtracting out their QB contributions - a lot of the deck re-shuffles.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I get a little worried hearing so many say "The Bills WR room could be set"....

I worry, because I can see how people .. maybe even our FO.. could say that.

WR1 Diggs

WR2 Davis

WR3 Shakir

WR4 Harty

WR5 Sherfield

TE Knox

RB1 Cook

RB2 Harris

RB3 Hines

All five of our WR's have inside/outside flex & there's quite a bit of speed in that room. Can Knox be freed up to be the pass catcher we paid him to be? The RB room looks extremely promising.

I can see a world in which that's a really productive WR unit, and if the OL is improved, an elite Offense.  I can also see a world where Allen & Diggs are extremely frustrated all season.  

Still believe the final addition to the WR room needs to be someone that can push Gabe Davis, but I can also see the FO taking a WR early Day 3 and then feeling like they did what they needed to do this off-season around Allen, given the cap constraints and draft capital. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Kelce does split wide and run out patterns to the sideline at times, but that's probably a quibble.  They're not his bread and butter, I agree.  But the thing about Kelce is, he doesn't need to be able to get great separation with speed.  He can do a subtle push-off that helps him separate, but at 6'5" and 256, it takes a very athletic CB and help in coverage to defend him because it's "always open a foot over his head".  As far as slots and TE NOT being the most physically gifted receivers on the team (emphasis yours) - Do you really want to make an argument that Kelce isn't one of the most physically gifted players on the KC team?  I wouldn't go there.

I agree of course that KC tailors their offense to him, but I'm not sure what your point is - offenses all tailor to their best skill players.  We tailored to Beasley.  And for that matter, do you want to argue that 2020 Beasley wasn't one of the most physically gifted players on the Bills team?  Think of that one-handed leaping sideline catch during the AZ game

I think you might also be surprised at how much, when you look under the hood, the "most gifted WR on the team", the #1, for many teams, actually lines up in the slot or in a stacked formation.  I believe Diggs played about 30% from the slot this season, and I remember hearing that one of the drivers for Jefferson's phenomenal season with the Vikings was that he played much more from the slot last season.

Bottom line, I don't think you get to exclude Kelce from being the Chief's #1 receiver on the grounds of "living over the middle", unless you also look at how much all the other top receivers last season "lived over the middle" and exclude them too.  It's analogous to discounting the Bills run game as too reliant on Allen, then comparing to other teams without subtracting out their QB contributions - a lot of the deck re-shuffles.

It's because of the reasons you've articulated above for Kelce that I think if Dalton Kincaid is available at 27, he ought to be a consideration. I am skeptical that a WR1 will be sitting there, but Kincaid could be. He has a game that could emulate Kelce's role. (Kelce is in the conversation for best TE ever, so I'm not putting that on the young man, but he is a legit offensive weapon and could develop into someone you have to gameplan against.)

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

WR1 Diggs

WR2 Davis

WR3 Shakir

WR4 Harty

WR5 Sherfield

TE Knox

RB1 Cook

RB2 Harris

RB3 Hines

All five of our WR's have inside/outside flex & there's quite a bit of speed in that room. Can Knox be freed up to be the pass catcher we paid him to be? The RB room looks extremely promising.

I can see a world in which that's a really productive WR unit, and if the OL is improved, an elite Offense.  I can also see a world where Allen & Diggs are extremely frustrated all season.  

Still believe the final addition to the WR room needs to be someone that can push Gabe Davis, but I can also see the FO taking a WR early Day 3 and then feeling like they did what they needed to do this off-season around Allen, given the cap constraints and draft capital. 

Whether you like it or not, this regime loves Gabe Davis.  He will be the number 2 WR here next year.  

On 3/20/2023 at 11:59 AM, Happy Days Lois & Clark said:

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/lists/nfl-free-agency-panthers-wrs-zach-pascal-marquise-goodwin-trent-sherfield-brandon-powell/

We got one more home run hitter for you, albeit a really under-the-radar name.

Sherfield hasn’t made many waves in the grand scheme of things, totaling just 844 yards and four touchdowns over five seasons. But if you ask any Miami Dolphins fan, he’s a guy who’s made quite an impression in South Beach.

The 6-foot-1, 219-pounder is a potent presence from the slot. He can create space with and without the ball and could make a wider imprint if given the opportunities.

The Phins don't play in South Beach. Not to nitpick. They play about 12 miles away, across Biscayne Bay, at 347 Don Shula Drive, in Miami Gardens.

15 minutes ago, SCBills said:

WR1 Diggs

WR2 Davis

WR3 Shakir

WR4 Harty

WR5 Sherfield

TE Knox

RB1 Cook

RB2 Harris

RB3 Hines

I don't understand why people worry so much about WR room being set. There is like 85%+ chance that we draft WR in rounds 1-3 imo.

I doesn't guarantee that WR room will be upgraded but FO will try for sure.

15 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Whether you like it or not, this regime loves Gabe Davis.  He will be the number 2 WR here next year.  

So what you are saying the Bills will make no effort to upgrade WR#2 and are willing to fall on the sword for Gabe "Inconsistent" Davis and possibly waste another year of Allen's career.

They may be willing to let him compete in camp but I don't believe they will ignore what ALL of us saw from Gabe last year

6 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

So what you are saying the Bills will make no effort to upgrade WR#2 and are willing to fall on the sword for Gabe "Inconsistent" Davis and possibly waste another year of Allen's career.

They may be willing to let him compete in camp but I don't believe they will ignore what ALL of us saw from Gabe last year

It would be naive to think that our GM Beane is speaking "the whole truth" in his pressers.

But he sure talked as though we couldn't possibly re-sign Edmunds because that would mean being unable to sign Gabe Davis and Ed Oliver.

I think the Bills FO likes Davis a lot more and sees his problems as being a lot smaller and fewer than Bills fans do.  I really want to see the Bills draft an offensive player other than RB high in the draft this season, but I think it's a real concern that the Bills don't see it that way.

Me, my major concern is these phantom ankle sprains that allegedly hamper him from running good routes for half the season, two years in a row.

8 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I don't understand why people worry so much about WR room being set. There is like 85%+ chance that we draft WR in rounds 1-3 imo.

I doesn't guarantee that WR room will be upgraded but FO will try for sure.

How do you figure that 85% chance?  I would like to believe you.

IMHO, the place where the Bills really need to upgrade is on OL.  Giving Allen a higher feeling of security in the pocket and a bit more time there will help all the WR.

26 minutes ago, SCBills said:

BOOM!  You nailed it ...... IF the OL is improved.  Knox can be freed to be the receiver we want him to be, and our RBs can be freed to contribute in the pass game more, IF the OL is improved.

26 minutes ago, SCBills said:

That would be IMHO, awful.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Then you need to read the posters post that I responded to.  Because you are all off track and none of this pertains to my actual comments.  The poster said why dont we have things like Cincy with a 1A and 1B WR, which is essentially 2 #1 WR's on the same field.  

JuJu has never, not one time, had a 1000 yard season as a #1 WR, not even in KC.  So the point is, he isn't on the level of the "1B" that the original poster I responded to was asking about.  

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

It's because of the reasons you've articulated above for Kelce that I think if Dalton Kincaid is available at 27, he ought to be a consideration. I am skeptical that a WR1 will be sitting there, but Kincaid could be. He has a game that could emulate Kelce's role. (Kelce is in the conversation for best TE ever, so I'm not putting that on the young man, but he is a legit offensive weapon and could develop into someone you have to gameplan against.)

👍🏻 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.