WR Trent Sherfield signed

Chandler#81

28 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I'm not bitter I'm frustrated.  It has become very clear what works in the NFL and the Bills don't seem to be doing it.  Sure our O was very good last year in spite of our focusing the majority of the resources on the D over the last 3 seasons.  But where has this gotten us the last 3 seasons?  ONE AFC championship game and TWO losses in the Divisional round.

And we have seen Cincy shoot past us by doing the things that Bean/McD won't do.  The Bengals walked away from two excellent safeties every bit as good as Hyde/Poyner to push resources to further improve their O line.  And they did this to further protect their gold mine Joe Burrow. 

I agree with you that having Miller, Hyde and Poyner back healthy is a good thing.  But when exactly will Miller be back healthy? And our two excellent safeties are not getting any younger.  And next season there are bound to be other injuries.

And I'm not saying the sky is falling.  In fact in some ways it's worse.  We will slowly slide and fail to break through as other teams like the Jags & Chargers focus on their Offenses and franchise QB's and move by us to replace Cincy or KC should they falter.  We will become the Green Bay of the AFC but without the SB wins and Conference Championship games.

Who is Poyner?

12 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

The latest WR/STs FA we signed appears to be a better overall option than Hodgins, and I was not happy that they barely played him, and then let him go, but ya know, that’s how the cookie crumbles sometimes, 

I hope you are right! At the end of the day, it is a business and not all decisions are popular.

With the cap situation being what it is, I had muted expectations for the offseason.

Two speedy WRs, a RB, and a guard who can protect Josh if not run block...   I'm reasonably happy. 

And there seems to be some upside with Sherfield.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Agree 1

Sherfield, at some price, seems fine. He is an NFL player.  But it seems like him and Harty are both kind of odd ball players that don't really fit the prototype WR.   In real life, do Dorsey and McDermott and Beane sit down together and discuss how they will be specifically used in the offense.  Last years mid-season acquisition of HInes almost seemed like a surprise to the coaching staff.  Or it is a surprise? Does Beane have a vision, and get the gets and the coaches are expected to make it work? 

9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Lol. Joke.

Really weak effort here. Too blatant. To best spread your gospel of "I know better" you should consider teasing the dimmer, more susceptible posters with at least A LITTLE TASTE of your infallible logic/evidence/warranting assumptions. Show off that big brain. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

This guy is the 2nd coming of Tee Higgins reading some of these comments… no, I like this signing in that it provides better depth at the bottom of the WR chart….I’ll hate it if him, Harty and let’s say a 3rd-6th round pick is all McBeane have in store at the position while defense gets all the top priority once again. 

Maybe don't feel so compelled to reign in the kool-aid drinkers? I dunno. At least don't try to get out in front of the...gasp!...optimism with irrational mockery of what was at least a defensible move to add value to several units, including WR. You're better than that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, without a drought said:

The Chiefs were the only playoff team to win their last game, some of the other teams that won their last game include the Texans, Broncos and Falcons

If you think all games are the same then I don't know what else to say. 

My previous point wasn't that difficult to understand. The theme of it has validity. Go ahead and take it out of context if you want...

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I don't think Beane even knows who will be there at #27 worth the position of the pick.

That's my real worry.

He will no doubt try to trade back but if he can't it could be a tough situation.

It is a delicate situation to be sure.  There should be something there even if the Bills can't trade back, but it may not be a true first round value and it may not be at a position that most think is a need.  Most think Anton Harrison will be available when Buffalo picks, for example.  He's not a finished product and needs to get better at run blocking, but he is very athletic and has good size to enable him to move inside or stay outside and play tackle. There's also Darnell Washington.  He's a freak at tight end and an outstanding blocker though he was underused as a receiver.  Tight end wouldn't be a position I'd be looking to fill in round one, but the way the round falls might make it the most logical pick.  

Edited by BigAl2526
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Hopefully this season Dorsey will give Davis the ability to separate, run more than 2-3 patterns, and make contested catches.   

I really don't get the Davis stuff   Really.  

48 receptions, 836 yards, 7 TDs in a year, at least if we listen to the Davis bashers, that was a bad year.  He had a bad year, and he got close to 1000 yards.  One of the top 20 receivers in the league in TDs.  A bad year.  

Can't separate?   No one in the NFL can separate. or practically no one.  Tyreek Hill can run away from people, and probably three or four other guys can do it with speed, and another three or four like Diggs can do with amazing agility?   Everyone else?   They don't create separation - they get open by running routes that are called that take advantage in weaknesses in the defense.  If Davis isn't open, it's because the defense is covering him and not someone else.   If Davis isn't open, it's because the play designs against the defense are failing.  

A couple of teams, like the Bengals, have been fortunate enough to have two number 1s at the same time, but that's almost an accident, and it won't last past the next contract cycles.   Pure number 2 receivers, guys who aren't number 1s but are solid all-round guys to have on the field, Davis is in that category. 

• Like (+1) 8

I bet of all the people making fun of this guy for being unknown couldn't name any of the players who teamed with Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen.

Hard to get attention for a "speed WR" stuck on a team with the highest profile WR duo in the league, and Tua/whatever backup at QB.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Logic said:

Diggs
Davis
Shakir
Harty
Sherfield

Assuming all those guys make the roster, they're realistically likely to only have one more WR on the final 53 at most.

I'd like to think/hope that said player will come via a high draft pick, but I am dubious. 

I'd also like to think/hope that Sherfield was signed mostly as a special teams asset and that they won't be depending heavily on him on offense, but again, I am dubious.

More improvement is needed at WR. I really hope they don't feel like they're done there after these two FA signings.

WRa in 1st round are a reach this year and we draft at the end of the round.

Someone suggested we will go LB in 1st round to replace edmunds. Maybe? Would it be that bad if we draft a WR 2 or even 3 rnd? I dont think so. We are looking for a solid #2 not a diggs replacement. Didnt antonio brown come from late round pick? You never know what youll get in the draft.

Listened to his press conference…seems like a really good, humble dude.  Fits the culture in Buffalo to a T.  Apparently the Fish weren’t happy to lose him.  Loved his comment about “if you want to be an elite receiver, go play with an elite QB.”

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.