WR Trent Sherfield signed

Chandler#81

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Didn’t realize Cincy and Philly won the SB.  Because if memory serves me it was KC who won and didn’t have a 1A let alone a 1B at WR.  

But to answer your question…Cincy has a 1B WR because their QB, WR1, and WR2 are ALL on rookie contracts.  Philly has a 1B WR because their QB and WR 1B are on rookie contracts.  

Bottom line is you don’t need to have a 1B at WR, and most teams don’t unless they have a rookie contract at QB and hit on at least one of the WRs at 1A or 1B through the draft.

It still amazes me how anyone can still not understand this.  

All of this is besides the point. It is possible to have a 1A and 1B without rookie QB contracts, it’s just we aren’t prioritizing it. KC has Kelce who is basically a 1A and had JuJu which is basically a 1B. 

How can we have a 1B if we never draft a quality WR to begin with? Most teams dedicate at least a 1st rounder or 2-3rd on one and develop them. Instead we waste them on no talented d linemen like Basham and AJE. Diggs gets taken out on a lot of games and we have no answers. Wasting prime Josh. 

• Eyeroll 2

56 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It’s the unfortunate consequence of a defensive head coach.

And a GM who went along with that roster building strategy, didn't pound the table for more offense, and spent heavily on middling UFAs that did not offer value.

Perhaps there's a few moves left and they're learning off the last couple off-seasons.  Who knows. 

27 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

It appears that Bean/McD are repeating what worked for them in 2019, but on a cheaper level.  Remember how they signed a center who had real concussion issues but would be an upgrade to what we had at the time and then they signed two WR's who were good but not remotely elite.  It worked great for the Bills and those 3 signings helped propel the team to success in 2019, 2020 & 2021. 

IF, the Bills have similar success with these 3 signings - significant upgrade at Guard and two WR's that are solid #2/3 type guys then the Bills are right back in the Super Bowl mix.  But if they missed on these signings and they throw most of their draft capital at the D then Buffalo will be lucky to make the playoffs next season.

Big disagree.  Buffalos terrible offense was still 5th.   Sky is fallin…. Biggest addition in 23 is having a whole year of Hyde, White and hopefully Miller.  Those guys being healthy will make a greater impact than any inflated FA you are bitter Buffalo disnt sign.  Working on the bottom of the 53 makes the team better when bringing in the draft class.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

I think Sherfield is going to be a sneaky good signing. Looks like he is a good blocker, has very good hands, is good catching over the middle, has the speed to take it to the house, smart, great character. He had a late start to his position as WR and may just be a late bloomer. He’ll definitely push for WR 3. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Airseven said:

They’re filling out depth of the WR room suggesting Davis is still WR2 and the position won’t be a priority in the draft.

Let's say Davis works out next year.  I hope and think he can.  He will be a FA the next year.  What do you think that will cost?  We need to have a plan behind him.  This may be it and Shakir.  And, either could work.  But, I would not be surprised if we draft a WR as well (high pick) still.

Go Bills!

1 hour ago, Breakout Squad said:

Never cared much about Kumerow. He made his career on that catch in Denver that was more Allen than him. ST player ok but how do we save a roster spot for that guy. 

He is one of those guys who has something that McDermott prizes in his players.  Not sure exactly what it is - some combination of work ethic, leadership, competitiveness.   I never saw much in him, either, but he is a McDermott guy.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Andy1 said:

I think Sherfield is going to be a sneaky good signing. Looks like he is a good blocker, has very good hands, is good catching over the middle, has the speed to take it to the house, smart, great character. He had a late start to his position as WR and may just be a late bloomer. He’ll definitely push for WR 3. 

And Shakir is gonna be a star.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, nosejob said:

NO S..T,  The negativity is getting unbearable.  IMO Frazier being gone is a leap in the right direction.

Is it enough? 

Hard to get that image of the Cinci thrashing out of my mind. 

Old saying is you are as good as your last game.

Looks like the Bills have a lot of work to do.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, newcam2012 said:

Is it enough? 

Just depends what Harty and Sherfield represent.  

Are they the off-season answers to the WR room or did we just make our WR4-6 portion of the WR room way more dangerous?

We’ll see..

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Just depends what Harty and Sherfield represent.  

Are they the off-season answers to the WR room or did we just make our WR4-6 portion of the WR room way more dangerous?

We’ll see..

Thus far, I don't see anything that jumps off the page and makes the Bills significantly better. 

The 2 WR picks up seem decent but I think it's safe to say they won't move the needle much. They absolutely still need a legit WR2. Sorry Davis isn't that guy in my mind. 

The oline still has too many question marks and weaknesses. Imho, this will be the key to the Bills success or lack of. More has to be done and hopefully it will. As of now, no way to I feel confident about this oline.

The defense dodged a bullet by keeping Poyer. Edmunds can be replaced. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Is it enough? 

The Chiefs were the only playoff team to win their last game, some of the other teams that won their last game include the Texans, Broncos and Falcons

Sneaky good signing.

6'1" 220 lbs.

4.5 speed.

Can play inside or outside.

Good YAC guy.

Terrific run blocker.

Willingly plays ST.

An upgrade to Kumerow and Lil Dirty in one signing?

Give him McKenzie's 65 targets and see what he can do.

Lil Dirty 2022: 65 TARGETS/ 42 REC/ 423 YARDS/ 4 TD

Sherwood 2022: 51 TARGETS/ 30 REC/ 417 YARDS/ 2 TDs

Only disappointed they did not do 2-3 yrs.

Could have had him at 3 for $7.5 million easily.

Sherfield = WR3/ST

Harty = WR4/ gadget/ST

bUt He oNlY HaD a 56.3% cATcH peRCenTaGe ThROuGh 6 yEArS?!?!

• Agree 2

59 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

All of this is besides the point. It is possible to have a 1A and 1B without rookie QB contracts, it’s just we aren’t prioritizing it. KC has Kelce who is basically a 1A and had JuJu which is basically a 1B. 

How can we have a 1B if we never draft a quality WR to begin with? Most teams dedicate at least a 1st rounder or 2-3rd on one and develop them. Instead we waste them on no talented d linemen like Basham and AJE. Diggs gets taken out on a lot of games and we have no answers. Wasting prime Josh. 

The fact you just called JuJu a 1B WR says everything.  He is not a 1B WR, which implies he is a legit #1 WR in which JuJu has proven he is not a quality #1 WR and has never had a 1,000 yard season as a #1 WR on any team, not even in KC with the reigning MVP and SB MVP Mahomes.  

LMAO at your forgetful memory here...you said most teams are investing first round picks and 2-3rd round picks every year...not only is that not true, but the Bills have actually done that.  We invested a first (and a 4th) into Diggs a #1 WR...we drafted Knox (who has been a big TD producer) with a 3rd who we just extended long term, used a 4th on Davis who is our starting #2 WR...all in the last 3 years.  

You say Philly and Cincy...Bills finished 2022 with #2 Offense in the NFL ahead of BOTH Philly and Cincy and behind only KC, who has never drafted a first round WR in the Reid era.  In fact, since 2020, Buffalo has never finished lower than 3rd offensively in the NFL, and always ahead of both Cincy and Philly, and even KC in 2020 and 2021.  So yeah, this whole we must have a 1B WR is nonsense.

Basically, we are doing what you are asking by spending a 1st, 3rd, and 2 4th round picks on what was a #1 WR, #2 WR, and a starting TE who just got extended...all over the past 3 years.  Yet you complain we aren't.  LOL

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Big disagree.  Buffalos terrible offense was still 5th.   Sky is fallin…. Biggest addition in 23 is having a whole year of Hyde, White and hopefully Miller.  Those guys being healthy will make a greater impact than any inflated FA you are bitter Buffalo disnt sign.  Working on the bottom of the 53 makes the team better when bringing in the draft class.

I'm not bitter I'm frustrated.  It has become very clear what works in the NFL and the Bills don't seem to be doing it.  Sure our O was very good last year in spite of our focusing the majority of the resources on the D over the last 3 seasons.  But where has this gotten us the last 3 seasons?  ONE AFC championship game and TWO losses in the Divisional round.

And we have seen Cincy shoot past us by doing the things that Bean/McD won't do.  The Bengals walked away from two excellent safeties every bit as good as Hyde/Poyner to push resources to further improve their O line.  And they did this to further protect their gold mine Joe Burrow. 

I agree with you that having Miller, Hyde and Poyner back healthy is a good thing.  But when exactly will Miller be back healthy? And our two excellent safeties are not getting any younger.  And next season there are bound to be other injuries.

And I'm not saying the sky is falling.  In fact in some ways it's worse.  We will slowly slide and fail to break through as other teams like the Jags & Chargers focus on their Offenses and franchise QB's and move by us to replace Cincy or KC should they falter.  We will become the Green Bay of the AFC but without the SB wins and Conference Championship games.

5 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

We had Hopkins and let him go uggghhhh

The latest WR/STs FA we signed appears to be a better overall option than Hodgins, and I was not happy that they barely played him, and then let him go, but ya know, that’s how the cookie crumbles sometimes, 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.