WR Trent Sherfield signed

Chandler#81

I like him as a Kumerow replacement. Sherfiled provides the same ST ability that Kumerow did but he has more upside as a receiver. Coming off a nice season in Miami despite not getting a ton of targets certainly not a dynamic player but as a WR6 who can play ST and step in as a complementary receiver if needed he has a nice role on the team. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Diggs
Davis
Shakir
Harty
Sherfield

Assuming all those guys make the roster, they're realistically likely to only have one more WR on the final 53 at most.

I'd like to think/hope that said player will come via a high draft pick, but I am dubious. 

I'd also like to think/hope that Sherfield was signed mostly as a special teams asset and that they won't be depending heavily on him on offense, but again, I am dubious.

More improvement is needed at WR. I really hope they don't feel like they're done there after these two FA signings.

That list certainly isn’t going to cut it. Josh deserves better 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

im pleased with the two WR signings. Both are probably significant upgrades and I give Beane credit for these moves. But this receiving corps absolutely still needs a WR 2 and I think that means finding one in the draft. I too fear that they may be going in a different direction. Hope not. Given his size and speed I wonder if this guy can play on the outside. Seems to be a big slot with YAC ability.

Yeah, he played on the outside plenty in SF.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Does anyone have his 40 time ?  Is he a burner ?

Didn't go to the combine (undrafted)

4.45 at his pro day

At least he's not a Smurf - 6 ft tall and 203 lbs, 32" arms.  From Vanderbilt in 2017

1 hour ago, Magox said:

This is Kumerow's replacement.   Plays special teams, good size, 4.45 forty, YAC kind of guy and coming off his best season.

The new #6 WR

He may be penciled in as the #5 or #6 WR, but I'm not sure he's just Kumerow's replacement as a primarily ST guy. 

He played 58% of Miami's snaps on offense (611 out of 1009 plays per PFR, apparently 422 per PFF?  Unclear on discrepency.).  Apparently played about half his snaps from the slot and half outside.  417 receiving yards on 30 receptions last season, 3rd on the team.  For comparison, McKenzie had 423 yds on 42 receptions.

I'm thinking he's kind of a back-up plan to Harty and Shakir, in case Harty goes down injured and Shakir doesn't take that desired step as a slot, but also he is someone who is big enough to play other roles than returner on ST.

Although that didn't go well for the Dolphins in our first meeting....he's the "Butt Punt" blocker.

• Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

his YAC was 3rd in over expected.   8.87 RAS score.   Played inside and outside for Miami 

I was wondering how many snaps he had where he lined up outside given his size/speed. I guess that means he is another hybrid like Shakir and Davis. I suppose they liked putting him in the slot for his blocking ability as well as being a big target for Tua.

Edited by starrymessenger

5 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Ok, I’m fallin’ in love with this guy. Just watched his presser. Articulate straight shooter. Best described as HUNGRY & HUMBLE. Big, tough, fast, very good at STs and a great blocker. If you get a chance, check it out on the Bills website. I think we got a keeper!

I like how he told Maddy that he can play both inside out outside.  I keep going back to having multiple players moving into the slot

position all game long versus having one guy nailed to it.  Puts a lot more pressure on that NCB in my mind.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Didn't go to the combine (undrafted)

4.45 at his pro day

At least he's not a Smurf - 6 ft tall and 203 lbs, 32" arms.  From Vanderbilt in 2017

He may be penciled in as the #5 or #6 WR, but I'm not sure he's just Kumerow's replacement as a primarily ST guy. 

He played 58% of Miami's snaps on offense (611 out of 1009 plays per PFR, apparently 422 per PFF?  Unclear on discrepency.).  Apparently played about half his snaps from the slot and half outside.  417 receiving yards on 30 receptions last season, 3rd on the team.  For comparison, McKenzie had 423 yds on 42 receptions.

I'm thinking he's kind of a back-up plan to Harty and Shakir, in case Harty goes down injured and Shakir doesn't take that desired step as a slot, but also he is someone who is big enough to play other roles than returner on ST.

Although that didn't go well for the Dolphins in our first meeting....he's the "Butt Punt" blocker.

He’s almost 220 now.  6’1

The good thing about the Harty and now Sherfield signings is that these guys can play in multiple scenarios (special teams and contribute at WR) this may free up Hines as well to not just being a special teams ace. It looks like we're ready to evolve on offense and start going to more designed plays at least I hope this is what it means.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

He signed a one-year in SF 2021 for $920k and a one-year in MIA 2022 for $1.18M per Spotrac.

I would expect something along the Miami $s.

He's got enough years and games they may have him on a vet salary benefit contract, where they pay him vet minimum ($1.08M) and a small signing bonus, but he only counts as a 2nd year player against the cap ($940k)

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

The good thing about the Harty and now Sherfield signings is that these guys can play in multiple scenarios (special teams and contribute at WR) this may free up Hines as well to not just being a special teams ace. It looks like we're ready to evolve on offense and start going to more designed plays at least I hope this is what it means.

They can also both play outside and slot 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, teef said:

i'm not going to read through all of this, but who is the most angry so far?

Not me, I’m naturally a little angry all the time, 😁

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Def better depth.

I’ll hold out hope they are still planning on adding an upgrade to Davis… Real shame it will again cost them if they feel they don’t need to use high end resources for WR2. 

Josh will need more apologies at seasons end of this is the case. 😅

OBJ or trade for Jeudy.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Def better depth.

I’ll hold out hope they are still planning on adding an upgrade to Davis… Real shame it will again cost them if they feel they don’t need to use high end resources for WR2. 

Josh will need more apologies at seasons end of this is the case. 😅

The guy you speak of will be a 1-3 rd draft pick imo…..

unless OBj will take 5-7M for one year.  

57 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I agree with this in the sense that Harty upgrades McKenzie and Sherfield upgrades Kumerow. But I don't like that Davis is still locked in as the #2 WR. Short of a rookie receiver blowing away expectations, the best avenue for upgrading that spot is acquiring Jeudy, Hopkins, or OBJ. If we pull that off I'll feel great about our WR room, better than ever in the Josh Allen era. If we don't, I'll still feel underwhelmed by the weapons we've put around him.

I agree with almost all of this, but feel I’d be excited still if we get a top WR prospect at 27 (or by trading up). I think Addison, JSN, & Flowers in particular could come in right away and push Davis. 

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Diggs

OBJ

Davis

Harty
Sherfield

Shakir
Rookie  Round 1-3

Carry 7 WR's.  Cycle through the weapons on gameday. Use them all! 

I can always be mistaken, but I think fans need to let go of their OBJ dreams.  Beane isn't gonna pay him what he wants

And frankly, I think there are only so many recovering ACLs a team should be betting on

I hope you're right about the rookie in round 1-3.  Round 1 or 2 preferred, for me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Dan Darragh said:

It's going to take him a while to get used to the fact that the ball spins the opposite way when thrown by a right-handed quarterback.  I'm guessing he'll be ready by week 8.

This is the season of optimism.  Save your mid season excuses for mid season, please!

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.