RT in First Round

QLBillsFan

What scares me about Wright is that some of his weaknesses are the same as Spencer Brown's in terms of footwork and punch timing in pass pro. I see a little Cody Ford there. And I just don't think you use a first-round pick unless it is a true no-doubt massive upgrade. Not sure Wright is that. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

21 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

What scares me about Wright is that some of his weaknesses are the same as Spencer Brown's in terms of footwork and punch timing in pass pro. I see a little Cody Ford there. And I just don't think you use a first-round pick unless it is a true no-doubt massive upgrade. Not sure Wright is that. 

I don't see a lot of Ford in his game. He is much more nimble on his feet. I will say his kick slide and footwork looks much better when coming out of a 2 point stance vs a 3 point stance so he might need some refinement in that part of his game. I thought the Kentucky kid last year at RT reminded me of Ford. 

10 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I don't see a lot of Ford in his game. He is much more nimble on his feet. I will say his kick slide and footwork looks much better when coming out of a 2 point stance vs a 3 point stance so he might need some refinement in that part of his game. I thought the Kentucky kid last year at RT reminded me of Ford. 

Wright is like three times the athlete too. I just think their college tape looks very similar. 

15 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah I think Wright is plug and play. How much better he will be than Brown in the long run is kind of my question. So is it really worth it? I really don’t like using a first round pick in a RT, but this year is just a little different in terms of it being so weak. So I have softened thatvstabce a bit for Wright. In any other year he’s a 2nd round guy. Kincaid is good too. 

Here’s the thing…this team isn’t drafting a #2 TE or RT competition in the first round. It’s just not happening. If they draft those guys they need to have the intention of starting them, and I think this regime likes Knox and Brown too much to go there. 

As much as fans hate it, if it isn’t a LB, I think it’s and edge rusher or a DT. If all the WRs and defensive talent is gone, I could see a RT or TE but I doubt it. 

Just so everyone goes nuts even more, the Chiefs will draft Wright at the end of the first, or jump in front of us to do so. 

Thanks for your analysis.  I don't disagree with you.  The Bills seem stuck on drafting underperforming and unathletic D Lineman with high draft picks.  (I watch a lot of college football.  But follow the teams more then the individual players.)  Based on our drafting results since 2019, not overly impressive.  Not sure why we are so averse from drafting O linemen from D 1 programs with high picks.  Not all of them turn out great.  But dam I am going to look to at least D 1 programs versus taking guys out of schools like Northern Iowa and Miami of Ohio for my O linemen.  Great disparity in competition.  And it shows when they come to the pros.  College Football is so much based on offense now.  So you would think the best players and athletes are more on the offensive side of the ball.  So that is where you would think teams would go with their top picks.  But not the Bills.  I guess we think we know better.  We shall see what happens in a months time.

• Like (+1) 1

If this year's draft talent is as bad as some of you guys say, then of course Beane will want to look to trade down.

Problem is, so will other teams.  We just have to wait and see how the draft flows.

The issue is IF Beane has to pick at #27, it most likely comes down to a few positions and who is the highest of those on his board.

I got no problem with a WR, LB or OT being the pick if that happens.

5 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Thanks for your analysis.  I don't disagree with you.  The Bills seem stuck on drafting underperforming and unathletic D Lineman with high draft picks.  (I watch a lot of college football.  But follow the teams more then the individual players.)  Based on our drafting results since 2019, not overly impressive.  Not sure why we are so averse from drafting O linemen from D 1 programs with high picks.  Not all of them turn out great.  But dam I am going to look to at least D 1 programs versus taking guys out of schools like Northern Iowa and Miami of Ohio for my O linemen.  Great disparity in competition.  And it shows when they come to the pros.  College Football is so much based on offense now.  So you would think the best players and athletes are more on the offensive side of the ball.  So that is where you would think teams would go with their top picks.  But not the Bills.  I guess we think we know better.  We shall see what happens in a months time.

We'll be scouring the hills of Montana for the next great RT.  I want my trenches from big-time conferences. The problem is not Beane but his garbage uninspiring scouts.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

If this year's draft talent is as bad as some of you guys say, then of course Beane will want to look to trade down.

Problem is, so will other teams.  We just have to wait and see how the draft flows.

The issue is IF Beane has to pick at #27, it most likely comes down to a few positions and who is the highest of those on his board.

I got no problem with a WR, LB or OT being the pick if that happens.

If we have to pick at 27 and Drew Sanders is on the board I'm sure he is the pick.

I don't love it but it makes the most sense from a talent/need evaluation. 

I will say he was always considered an elite athlete even coming out of the state of Texas as a 5 star LB recruit. Did well at Alabama before transferring. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.