RT in First Round

QLBillsFan

4 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Aware of that, Thank you
do you feel Connor is the answer long term

Or just a better than Roger Saffold ? allowing Bates to play LG , which might be his best position ?

Do we still have Ike ?

Conner is 25 and is an above average pass blocker, a football junkie who takes his craft very seriously. 

Bates is 27 and is a perfectly good OG, both men can be long term starters for this team. 

Ike was re-signed this summer for one year.

38 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Perhaps

and then we have another hole at LG !

Hence ! we need another guard 😀

They definitely need to add to the oline, but if you get a guy who could play RT and G, you have some insurance in case Brown struggles as much as he did last year.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

There is a question.

That pick makes no sense if they burned a top 100 draft pick on a guy who will be the primary backup LB. Beane drafted him with a plan, I doubt the plan was career depth and special teams. 

The 2023 plan at LB will be a heavily discussed and debated topic this summer.

Maybe 2023 is the season they move away from the 4-2-5 and start playing more 4-3 than they have the last few years. Then adding a MLB makes sense and Bernard is the other OLB. 

If that’s the case, Sewell makes a realistic option in the 4th+ round to play MLB 

21 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Lane Johnson best RT in football. Drafted first round. 1 SB ring and 2 SB appearances. 

Try harder

Got another? I mean c’mon. You cherry pick 1 dude and that’s it and you are telling me to try harder? 

Johnson was also drafted with the idea that he would move to LT, but Jason Peters lasted longer than they thought. It was also an extremely weak first round.  

Also if you bothered to read the thread, I actually brought him. So you try harder man. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

My logical pick in the first round is right tackle as well

Still have a man crush on Bijan Robinson, but he won’t be there

I don’t particularly like any of the wide receivers in this draft

I hate the idea of using a first round pick to replace Edmonds

If we’re going to improve Josh Allen’s wall, then we need to start doing it and not just saying it I personally like Connor McGovern but more help is needed

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Got another? I mean c’mon. You cherry pick 1 dude and that’s it and you are telling me to try harder? 

Johnson was also drafted with the idea that he would move to LT, but Jason Peters lasted longer than they thought. It was also an extremely weak first round.  

Also if you bothered to read the thread, I actually brought him. So you try harder man. 

Hey that's fair. I generally agree with you. I think few people would draft OT in the first round knowing they would only be a RT. I think most OTs in the first round are projected to eventually be a LT or a standout G. 

I guess my contraband point is superstar can be found in the later rounds too. And I don't think position and round should have anything to do with each other. 

To take the opposite approach and prove my point, QBs are always overvalued and team after team blow first round picks on QBs that probably grade out much lower against other players at other positions. 

Lastly, I say just get talent. They need youth and cheap contracts in multiple spots to stay competitive.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Hey that's fair. I generally agree with you. I think few people would draft OT in the first round knowing they would only be a RT. I think most OTs in the first round are projected to eventually be a LT or a standout G. 

I guess my contraband point is superstar can be found in the later rounds too. And I don't think position and round should have anything to do with each other. 

To take the opposite approach and prove my point, QBs are always overvalued and team after team blow first round picks on QBs that probably grade out much lower against other players at other positions. 

Lastly, I say just get talent. They need youth and cheap contracts in multiple spots to stay competitive.  

I hear you. At the end of the day, we all want the same thing here. They have to find good players and try to hit on the few picks they have regardless of round etc. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Conner is 25 and is an above average pass blocker, a football junkie who takes his craft very seriously. 

Bates is 27 and is a perfectly good OG, both men can be long term starters for this team. 

Ike was re-signed this summer for one year.

Thank you. I am hopeful as well

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

Spencer Brown was a 3rd rounder, Cody Ford a 2nd rounder, maybe we're better at picking 1st round RT. 

In general, RT is not a position you dedicate a first rounder to. Picking a RT at 27 isn't justified by past failed picks. It is only justified if the player you select merits that high a pick. I don't think it likely the board will fall that way. There's a good chance this is a draft where you trade down if you can find a willing partner. Otherwise, BPA is usually smarter than reaching for need. I want to improve the oline and give better weapons to Josh, but that doesn't equate to taking a fella a round or two early just because he plays a certain position.

1 minute ago, DapperCam said:

I hope they sign a vet RT to compete with Spencer Brown. If they draft a first round RT, that signals they are pretty much giving up on Brown.

Sounds like they plan on signing a vet RT, funny thing is we are still technically in week 1 of FA, plenty of time for money to drop. 

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I agree with the trade up, we don’t need 7 new players. 

Seattle and Detroit have 2 picks Rd 1, with the lower pick still being higher than our 27. I’d package up something and go get our ‘guy’ if one is to be had. If that’s Robinson, Kincaid, or WR, I’m fine with that so long as Beane is convinced they can make a big difference. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

In general, RT is not a position you dedicate a first rounder to. Picking a RT at 27 isn't justified by past failed picks. It is only justified if the player you select merits that high a pick. I don't think it likely the board will fall that way. There's a good chance this is a draft where you trade down if you can find a willing partner. Otherwise, BPA is usually smarter than reaching for need. I want to improve the oline and give better weapons to Josh, but that doesn't equate to taking a fella a round or two early just because he plays a certain position.

Neither is G but they get taken all the time, the BPA is a myth, we are in serious need of a G or T, there should be plenty rated around our pick. Get the best OL who can keep our QB upright. We can draft all the WR, TE or RB imaginable, if Allen isn't on the field due to injury because we once again neglected to protect him then what good will they be?

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I agree with the trade up, we don’t need 7 new players. 

We need good young players on cheap contracts. We only have 59 guys under contract with no cap space when we need 90 to go to camp with. I think ideally we'd draft 8 or 9 this year instead of the 6 we have currently.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.