RT in First Round

QLBillsFan

2 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

What about a RT who could play the left in a year or two? That's something to consider imo.

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

See the thing is, if we believe in "positional value" (and I do, but not as an absolute), then the only positions worthy of a 1st round pick are QB, WR, LT, Edge rusher and CB.  But, what if you either don't need those positions or there isn't a good player at those positions when you pick comes?

For sure, if there are equivalent players at a number of positions and you have needs at those positions, then by all means draft one of the highest value positions.  On the flip side, if neither of the above are true, then you are left with either forcing a pick on a player that you either don't need or one who isn't as good as the players available at other positions.  

I think there have to be scenarios where you could draft a "lesser position" and have it make sense.  Indeed, every year some teams do just that and I don't think that every team that drafts a lesser position in round 1 is "just stupid".  

This team has lots of needs.  Pick a player who can get 1st downs and score points.  RT in the first is "The missing piece" type of pick.

That's not where the Bills are.

kinds of just running this in circles. at the outset from beanes presser - i was all in on WR /weapon for first round.

as more time has passed. I dont care about position anymore. beane just has to get it right. WE need 2 impact players this draft and 2 impact players next draft to get to super bowl in 2 years. were not getting there next year (our schedule is BRUTAL).  von wont be fully healthy/ too late in season.  and we just have too many darn holes. 

time to reset the expectations 

Edited by balln

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This team has lots of needs.  Pick a player who can get 1st downs and score points.  RT in the first is "The missing piece" type of pick.

i was you a month ago. theres not anyone there at 27. Youre just gonna draft a high bust (for first expectations) potential WR / TE

bijan might be only one there at RB - but i just philosophically have a hard time going RB that high. after they picked cook in rd 2

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Exactly… but I think the obvious choice is a pass rusher, safety or inside LB based on their previous tendencies.

i agree. hate to say it (i cringe / die inside doing so) but DL , safety, LB > defense may be the only value impact player here. which is fine. the draft isnt just the first rd. Gonna have to find impact players throughout the draft in all rounds. 

what we have at DL right now is just sad. so i can get behind getting it right w this pick

safety > poyer / hyde could be done after this year - we dont have anyone to step in so i can get behind this pick for the future

LB > its obvious. edmunds gone no real obvious choice to fill so i can get behind this too

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I don't disagree, I may be in the minority, but I still hold out hope that Spencer Brown will look significantly better next year after a (hopefully) healthy offseason where he can weight train, practice his position specific skills, etc.  If I viewed Brown as a "no-hope" player, I would be arguing that adding a RT in the first is equally important to adding playmakers in the run and pass game.  My view is also biased in that I don't think that any of the WRs, other than Addison, would be worth picking/good matches for the Bills.  

When you pass on nearly 70% of your plays, pass blocking becomes quite important - at least in my view.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, balln said:

i was you a month ago. theres not anyone there at 27. Youre just gonna draft a high bust (for first expectations) potential WR / TE

bijan might be only one there at RB - but i just philosophically have a hard time going RB that high. after they picked cook in rd 2

i agree. hate to say it (i cringe / die inside doing so) but DL , safety, LB > defense may be the only value impact player here. which is fine. the draft isnt just the first rd. Gonna have to find impact players throughout the draft in all rounds. 

what we have at DL right now is just sad. so i can get behind getting it right w this pick

safety > poyer / hyde could be done after this year - we dont have anyone to step in so i can get behind this pick for the future

LB > its obvious. edmunds gone no real obvious choice to fill so i can get behind this too

I would rather take a chance of a playmaker busting out than an ensemble player.  

Also, the "best" O-linemen this crew has drafted are Cody Ford and Dion Dawkins....an All Pro is not coming in Round 1

I'd say if 1 of the big OT's fall for whatever reasoning then it is definitely a consideration, Spencer Brown was not only bad last year but also a liability. He was a project to begin with so at the very least he needs serious competition in the earlier rounds or a FA imo.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel2014

12 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I don't disagree, I may be in the minority, but I still hold out hope that Spencer Brown will look significantly better next year after a (hopefully) healthy offseason where he can weight train, practice his position specific skills, etc.  If I viewed Brown as a "no-hope" player, I would be arguing that adding a RT in the first is equally important to adding playmakers in the run and pass game.  My view is also biased in that I don't think that any of the WRs, other than Addison, would be worth picking/good matches for the Bills.  

When you pass on nearly 70% of your plays, pass blocking becomes quite important - at least in my view.

KC is always tinkering with their O-line.  Significant turnover, yet they win SBs anyway.   They have appeared in the last 5 AFCC Games.  How many routine starters on the O-line have they drafted over that period?  One--with pick #63.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

I'd say if 1 of the big OT's fall for whatever reasoning then it is definitely a consideration, Spencer Brown was not only bad last year and an absolute liability. He was a project to begin with so at the very least he needs serious competition in the earlier rounds or a FA imo.

You can get a good RT prospect in rounds 2 - 4. They won't and shouldn't spend a first on the position. Potential LT is a different story, of course.

54 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I very much agree with taking an OT with the first pick and I’d be okay with two in the first 3 rounds.  

Giving Josh an extra second to throw is the best off-season we can hope for.  If Brown or Morse fall off in production or injury, we can’t afford a drop off with backups.   This alone will allow for better production from our current receivers 

For me, it’s OT, OT, MLB.  After that, depth at Safety and a WR.  

where is your guard ? that was the true weakness. Allow Josh to step up.

Just now, 3rdand12 said:

I am puzzled why they didn't go after Seumalo. At risk of crusading, I'll stop after this, Matthew Bergeron is a solid round 2 target, because he has positional flexibility and could be used at both RT and G.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I am puzzled why they didn't go after Seumalo. At risk of crusading, I'll stop after this, Matthew Bergeron is a solid round 2 target, because he has positional flexibility and could be used at both RT and G.

I have mentioned if we grab a guard, and we should, he might be one who can replace Morse in a year 
Lets us pray that Spencer can meet Beanes expectations 😇 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I would use one of the OTs as a guard to start, knowing he can kick out if Brown doesn’t step up.   OTs can typically kick inside a lot easier than a guard can kick outside 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I have mentioned if we grab a guard, and we should, he might be one who can replace Morse in a year 
Lets us pray that Spencer can meet Beanes expectations 😇 

Bates is a candidate to replace Morse, imo.

• Like (+1) 1

They very well could draft a tackle in the first round as it qualifies as a premium position.  I'm still all for drafting the best player available at a premium position regardless of need on either side (other than quarterback) in the first round.  

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

They just signed one. 

Aware of that, Thank you
do you feel Connor is the answer long term

Or just a better than Roger Saffold ? allowing Bates to play LG , which might be his best position ?

Do we still have Ike ?

21 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

KC is always tinkering with their O-line.  Significant turnover, yet they win SBs anyway.   They have appeared in the last 5 AFCC Games.  How many routine starters on the O-line have they drafted over that period?  One--with pick #63.

KC also swapped their first rounder for the Raven second rounder and Orlando Brown which by the value chart was worth about a second round pick. They paid Joe Thuney $80 million over 5 years at LG and just paid Juwan Taylor $80 million over four years. And they hit on their Center pick at #63 as well as their RG pick in round 6 or who knows what they would do there in the future. Andy Reid has always invested in the OLine going back to his Eagles days. We need playmakers but getting 4 out of 5 of our starting lineman to be high performing players helps the offense too.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LEBills said:

KC also swapped their first rounder for the Raven second rounder and Orlando Brown which by the value chart was worth about a second round pick. They paid Joe Thuney $80 million over 5 years at LG and just paid Juwan Taylor $80 million over four years. And they hit on their Center pick at #63 as well as their RG pick in round 6 or who knows what they would do there in the future. Andy Reid has always invested in the OLine going back to his Eagles days. We need playmakers but getting 4 out of 5 of our starting lineman to be high performing players helps the offense too.

Yes, he in vests in vets, then moves on.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.