RT in First Round

QLBillsFan

1 hour ago, QLBillsFan said:

Outside of LB the Bills greatest need is RT. I’ve been a big SB fan but last year he fell back. BB has mentioned his injury and lack of prep leading into the season. Also blocking in the NFL vs at NI is an adjustment. All that is true but just bringing in a vet to compete isn’t enough. Our QB is Josh Allen let’s continue to improve around him. Harrison from Oklahoma or Jones from Ohio State in the 1st. If SB wins the job great but most likely he become the back up. What do you all think ? 

I think you consider it, if the draft pick could also play OG if Spencer Brown plays well.  I don’t think you could realistically move Brown inside, but some of the OTs could move inside - like Mauch.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

It's so tough to count on a possible trade down, but if there was ever a year that Beane could swing it, this is that year.

No doubt.  This is the year.  That 5th year option could be intriguing enough for a team to make a move! 🙏🏻 

• Agree 2

I haven't given up on Spencer Brown mostly because injury issues have delayed his development.  I'm not against taking an offensive tackle in the first round.  There may be one or two who would be a fit for the Bills.  There are some offensive tackles in the draft who are short enough to slide inside too. 

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Not happening. This regime, going back to Carolina has never done that. It’s the best path to being mediocre. 

This comment lacks knowledge and adds just plain stupid to the conversation. 

McD. was not a HC in Carolina nor did he have anything close to a last say of what their picks would be.

McD was a DC in Carolina during the years of 2011-2016. 2011 Carolina got a dude named Cam Newton. 2012 they got Luke Kuechly. So they get their QB on each side of the field like we did...  During this time, they had the team set up for running so their Offensive line was already good. In Short... to poster child McD and his habits as a DC going back to Carolina is silly.  

How much of a say as DC do you think McD had on the offensive side of the field instead of defense in his years as DC in Carolina?

just stop..

Given the cost of quality OTs in free agency and our need to upgrade the o-line, I think tackle (or WR) would potentially make sense in the first round of the draft.  OT will make even more sense in next year's draft since both Dawkins and Brown will be free agents after the '24 season.

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

I think Trenton Simpson is more likely the pick at 27 to replace Tremaine unless maybe Dalton Kincaid or a wr they covet falls to them. Round two is the more likely spot to grab a RT. I've been pushing for Matthew Bergeron -- seems to my mostly uneducated eye that he has some positional flexibility, so G and RT are possibilities.

I’m thinking along the same lines… but Drew Sanders MLB Arkansas if he’s there. Better overall athlete compared to Simpson. Yes Nick Saban tried to make him a DE (dumb) cause this kid was one of the top athlete recruits at QB, WR and MLB. Plays 1 year at MLB at Arkansas and showed huge upside. Sanders can play all over the field, and I think as a rookie might be better at rushing the passer/blitzing than Tremaine.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

I think Trenton Simpson is more likely the pick at 27 to replace Tremaine unless maybe Dalton Kincaid or a wr they covet falls to them. Round two is the more likely spot to grab a RT. I've been pushing for Matthew Bergeron -- seems to my mostly uneducated eye that he has some positional flexibility, so G and RT are possibilities.

He meets the physical freak aspect OBD loves but his stack, run fill and coverage abilities are very lacking per Draft Buzz

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Trenton-Simpson-LB-Clemson

59 minutes ago, LEBills said:

It’s the only RT we have on the roster so it makes sense that he is giving him a vote of confidence. But I think the Bernard pick last year shows they are ok letting a 3rd round pick be a backup. Hopefully that means they bring in someone good to let Brown compete with and either win it or sit on the bench. I think they will draft an OT early this year because we don’t have a ton of money to spend on a FA tackle to give that competition but that is maybe the optimist in me

I have mentioned they need a swing Tackle.
Never been a fan of a player who plays guard and Tackle. They are/have physically different needs to be successful
I would take an elite guard at 27 if he was a starter for long term regardless of Non Value

Its a sore need even with Bates and Connor. But not going to be one there. Bills are in a tough spot draft wise this year.
Swing Tackle to push and cover Brown. Not sure where Tommy Doyle fits in all this.

Dont see tackle at 27 either, for reasons mentioned. Including Beane's hopeful comments about Spencer

55 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

It's so tough to count on a possible trade down, but if there was ever a year that Beane could swing it, this is that year.

understatement to say the least !

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

He meets the physical freak aspect OBD loves but his stack, run fill and coverage abilities are very lacking per Draft Buzz

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Trenton-Simpson-LB-Clemson

Just throwing out a plausible name. Fella above your post suggests Drew Sanders. Whether it is the correct draft strategy or not, I suspect that is the direction OBD is inclined to pursue.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Just throwing out a plausible name. Fella above your post suggests Drew Sanders. Whether it is the correct draft strategy or not, I suspect that is the direction OBD is inclined to pursue.

Yes thx.  I have heard national draft pundits question Simpson’s instincts- and we have already seen how that worked out with Edmunds. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

You think the Bills are mediocre?

How in the world do you get that meaning from what MrEpsYtown wrote? Drafting RT (or any position of need) in the first round regardless of whether it is a prudent expenditure of draft capital at that spot is what leads to mediocrity. It's the strategy involved that is basis of critique. It says nothing about drafting a RT or valuing the oline. In fact, the fella you are quoting is one of the best on this board at analyzing oline talent, imo.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Yes thx.  I have heard national draft pundits question Simpson’s instincts- and we have already seen how that worked out with Edmunds. 

I dunno, Chicago just paid $18M/year for Edmunds and his lack of instincts.  Edmunds was very young when he came into the league (20).  Heck Edmunds is just 25 now after 5 yes in the league- there are guys in this draft that are 24 as rookies (John Michael Schmitz, for example).

1 hour ago, MWK said:

Beane loves Spencer Brown. He shouldn’t but he does. He has made every excuse in the book for him, from injuries to not playing 3 years ago because of COVID. People shouldn’t expect Beane to get anything besides nominal competition for him. Brown will be our starting RT, and we won’t draft OL until round 3 at the earliest because he doesn’t value it. I really hope I’m wrong.

Beane loves ALL of his draft picks!! Seems to be the reason he holds on to them so long. Cody Ford, Tommy Sweeney. Even Epenesa and Basham. I feel that he will do the same with Bernard. Mistakes are made by many teams in the draft, but Beane doesn't like to admit them

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, OldTimer1960 said:

I dunno, Chicago just paid $18M/year for Edmunds and his lack of instincts.  Edmunds was very young when he came into the league (20).  Heck Edmunds is just 25 now after 5 yes in the league- there are guys in this draft that are 24 as rookies (John Michael Schmitz, for example).

Gotcha.  I just want our next MLB not to bite on play action or misdirection as much and to hit the right hole more often on run reads.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, freddyjj said:

Gotcha.  I just want our next MLB not to bite on play action or misdirection as much and to hit the right hole more often on run reads.  

I’m with you. Unfortunately I don’t think Sanders, Campbell, or Simpson meet any if that. Sanders and Simpson seem a little light for MLB imo. Campbell hits in size but I keep hearing knocks on his willingness to be aggressive and attack the LOS and ball carriers. The last thing we need is an undersized MLB, or another one that is reactive. 

personally I like Noah Sewell. He hits in size, speed, aggressiveness, his father coached him and his brother plays in the league, along with 2 other brothers that play college ball. Which tells me that he has a familiarity with the nfl game and has been coached properly throughout his life to this point. He would have been a much higher draft pick than 4th round or after but he had a down year apparently. But he’s still only 20 years old and would be considered the most powerful LB in the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

Outside of LB the Bills greatest need is RT. I’ve been a big SB fan but last year he fell back. BB has mentioned his injury and lack of prep leading into the season. Also blocking in the NFL vs at NI is an adjustment. All that is true but just bringing in a vet to compete isn’t enough. Our QB is Josh Allen let’s continue to improve around him. Harrison from Oklahoma or Jones from Ohio State in the 1st. If SB wins the job great but most likely he become the back up. What do you all think ? 

You think this front office is going to spend a first rounder on offense for the first time in Josh Allen's career? Hahaha... get ready for a LB or defensive Lineman. 

I mean eventually they have to draft an offensive player (other than Allen himself) in the first round, right? Maybe this is the year...

Edited by ArtVandalay
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.