RT in First Round

QLBillsFan

10 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I can only "internet" scout college players.  He played some guard in the Senior Bowl too.

He fits my drafted OL player to push Spencer and hopefully moves to RG for years if Spencer breaks out the way I think he will.

I don't watch much college ball so that's all I got.

Awesome. That’s one of the reasons I like him as much as I do too.  Inside flex.  Could be Dawkins-McGovern-Bates-Bergeron-Brown in 2024.  

Not sure if any of these 2nd or 3rd rd OT prospects would be able to beat out Brown this season.  I think having the ability to move inside (or to LT) is important for any OT prospect we draft in case the best case scenario come to fruition:  Brown improves and is our RT for the next several seasons.  

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Not happening. This regime, going back to Carolina has never done that. It’s the best path to being mediocre. 

Yes building an OL between your franchise QB makes you mediocre.  Beane’s OL picks in  “value” rounds suck too and drafting DL early ain’t his thing either.  Might as well switch it up.  

13 minutes ago, Beast said:

The Bills are on the path to being mediocre now, huh?

This place is unreal.

8 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Hmm not sure. I’m not saying I’m out on SB at RT. He or another player need to improve that spot. He certainly can run block. Just not sure if with his height inside will work? That’s a solve for our OL coach who is supposed to be a guru. But last year was disappointing with respect to our OL development. 

Yeah I get you. I wasn’t sure where that was going. Yes the Bills are in fact a SB contender. 

Nope didn’t say the were mediocre. Read my posts you will see I am very supportive. I am simply saying that using high end draft picks on RTs and OGs is the path to being mediocre. 

We have never done that and not going to start now. Not sure why that was confusing….

1 minute ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

Yes building an OL between your franchise QB makes you mediocre.  Beane’s OL picks in  “value” rounds suck too and drafting DL early ain’t his thing either.  Might as well switch it up.  

They won’t do it. Fans can have their opinions, or they can pay attention to how these guys build a team. Drafting linemen in the first round at non valuable positions who aren’t as good as what you have makes no sense. 

First round linebacker is a waste of resources unless you have a guy like parsons, which they won’t 

RT or receiver 

5 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Nope didn’t say the were mediocre. Read my posts you will see I am very supportive. I am simply saying that using high end draft picks on RTs and OGs is the path to being mediocre. 

We have never done that and not going to start now. Not sure why that was confusing….

They won’t do it. Fans can have their opinions, or they can pay attention to how these guys build a team. Drafting linemen in the first round at non valuable positions who aren’t as good as what you have makes no sense. 

Are you saying there are no better options in this draft at RT in the first round better than Spencer brown? If so, I disagree heavily 

6 minutes ago, Simon said:

And I don't think he will ever be a quality NFL Tackle.

So that creates a bit of a problem....

Very possible he’s just not a good player and ends up fading away. If we’re already trying to replace him then it sounds like it shouldn’t create more of a problem than it already has.

Not happening. This regime, going back to Carolina has never done that. It’s the best path to being mediocre. 

Not sure why that was confusing….

Your use of "It's" is ambiguous. You clarified it is intended to relate to the thread title. Others were reading it to refer to your initial sentence fragment "Not Happening", meaning not taking the RT is the path to being mediocre.  This is why it was confusing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If Beane, who’s draft record 4 years in a row is awful, is that rigid in his approach to the draft then he’s undoubtedly the problem.  Last year was a perfect example when Smith, a future PB guard goes the pick after Elam who sat the bench the whole year.  Meanwhile, Beane dives into the bargain bin and pulls out the WORST OL IN THE LEAGUE and the rest is history. 

Also Explain to me what a “non valuable position” is also? 

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Got ya. Ok I would argue that the RT position has taken an increased value in the current NFL. The Chiefs have handled the OT position better than the Bills have. So that’s my point. I don’t see improving the OL either RT or OG as anything but smart. If that’s in the 2nd I’m fine, just improve it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Beane loves Spencer Brown. He shouldn’t but he does. He has made every excuse in the book for him, from injuries to not playing 3 years ago because of COVID. People shouldn’t expect Beane to get anything besides nominal competition for him. Brown will be our starting RT, and we won’t draft OL until round 3 at the earliest because he doesn’t value it. I really hope I’m wrong.

Edited by MWK
  • Like (+1) 2

It's possible that Beane is faking it but I don't think so.  He has voiced on two separate occasions that he likes Spencer Brown and eluded to his back being a reason for his lack of production this last year.   I just don't think they are going to put valuable capital at the position this off season.    My hunch is that we'll either pick up a journeyman Tackle to compete for the spot and maybe a mid to late rounder for depth and development purposes.

3 minutes ago, MWK said:

Beane loves Spencer Brown. He shouldn’t but he does. He has made every excuse in the book for him, from injuries to not playing 3 years ago because of COVID. People shouldn’t expect Beane to get anything besides nominal competition for him. Brown will be our starting RT, and we won’t draft OL until round 3 at the earliest because he doesn’t value it. I really hope I’m wrong.

It’s the only RT we have on the roster so it makes sense that he is giving him a vote of confidence. But I think the Bernard pick last year shows they are ok letting a 3rd round pick be a backup. Hopefully that means they bring in someone good to let Brown compete with and either win it or sit on the bench. I think they will draft an OT early this year because we don’t have a ton of money to spend on a FA tackle to give that competition but that is maybe the optimist in me

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Your use of "It's" is ambiguous. You clarified it is intended to relate to the thread title. Others were reading it to refer to your initial sentence fragment "Not Happening", meaning not taking the RT is the path to being mediocre.  This is why it was confusing. 

Ah thank you

6 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

First round linebacker is a waste of resources unless you have a guy like parsons, which they won’t 

RT or receiver 

I think you are correct regarding fundamental NFL drafting strategy.   Draft picks are a form of currency.  They allow you to lock up a player for up to five years at significantly below market rights.  After QB, market rates for Edge Rushers and Wide Recievers are much higher than RBs and and Linebackers.   You maximize your draft picks financial value at QB, Edge Rusher and WR above all the other positions. 

However if you are in win now mode (which a team whose non-QB core stars are Tre White, Von Miller, Mica Hyde and Jordan Poyer would seem to be in) then it maybe logical to take a person at a lower value position like linebacker, if they can make an immediate impact in "winning now".  Its not clear to me that Jack Campbell, Trent Simpson, or Drew Sanders really fit that bill.  But if Beane thinks they can contribute the most to winning in 2023, it would be an Ok pick.   Really depends on the choices. Zay Flowers may be available at 27.  Josh Downs and Jalin Hyatt are likely to be there.  It is a small possiblity <1% Myles Murphy will be there.  There is a decent chance Nolan Smith will be there.   I think it will generate a lot of controversty to take a line backer ahead of those three wide receivers and two edge rushers. 

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

RT or receiver 

Are you saying there are no better options in this draft at RT in the first round better than Spencer brown? If so, I disagree heavily 

I am saying that the tackles who will be available at pick 27 will not be able to step in week 1 and be better than Brown.  Maybe in a year or two. Those guys at the top of the draft like Johnson and Skoronski could step in right away, but like I thought with Jonah Williams, I think Skoronski is a guard. 

1 hour ago, QLBillsFan said:

Outside of LB the Bills greatest need is RT. I’ve been a big SB fan but last year he fell back. BB has mentioned his injury and lack of prep leading into the season. Also blocking in the NFL vs at NI is an adjustment. All that is true but just bringing in a vet to compete isn’t enough. Our QB is Josh Allen let’s continue to improve around him. Harrison from Oklahoma or Jones from Ohio State in the 1st. If SB wins the job great but most likely he become the back up. What do you all think ? 

As poor as the Bills OL has been,  I'd definitely consider it. It's not just the RT spot,  but Dawkins hasn't been that great,  either,  plus he's a FA after 2024.  If there's someone on the board at 27 who can push Spencer Brown at RT this year,  but also has good LT potential in the future,  it might be worth it. 

Given the Bills tendency to dumpster dive the OL,  I'm sure they won't do it.   

Edited by Brandon

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

I am saying that the tackles who will be available at pick 27 will not be able to step in week 1 and be better than Brown.  Maybe in a year or two. Those guys at the top of the draft like Johnson and Skoronski could step in right away, but like I thought with Jonah Williams, I think Skoronski is a guard. 

You could very well be right. That’s for the Bills to evaluate. But if they take a RT at 27 they think he’s better and will likely start. And I’d be good with that. 

25 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Awesome. That’s one of the reasons I like him as much as I do too.  Inside flex.  Could be Dawkins-McGovern-Bates-Bergeron-Brown in 2024.  

Not sure if any of these 2nd or 3rd rd OT prospects would be able to beat out Brown this season.  I think having the ability to move inside (or to LT) is important for any OT prospect we draft in case the best case scenario come to fruition:  Brown improves and is our RT for the next several seasons.  

It's so tough to count on a possible trade down, but if there was ever a year that Beane could swing it, this is that year.

• Agree 3

44 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I believe he’s just to tall to play effectively inside. DTs would get under his pads and he’d be a liability there also. I just don’t think he has the feet to be anything more than a backup in the league TBH. 

That and the back injury that hampered him at tackle.  I worry he would be forklifted all day long at G. 

Edited by SectionC3
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.