Bills will add at least 4 more Free Agents

khlax3

I have always disliked Zeke. Still do. 
However he is exactly what Buffalo needs. Short yardage of course but his pass blocking is probably one of if not the best in the league. The way the market is going for running backs they can probably grab Zeke or Harris for a low cost 1 year deal. 

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

They need a backup safety/nickel who is better than Cam Lewis and Siran Neal 

Neal makes $3.3MM with a $1MM dead cap hit, so he likely stays as he is ST core

Lewis seems to be a favorite of the coaches in the ST room as well.

1 hour ago, Pasaluki said:

Nice post I like getting the rb and lb in FA. I really am praying the Bills go Oline or WR early in the draft. 

It's time to feed the offense even if the defense needs to go hungry.

Yes it is officially time to emphasize the offense over the defense.  And it will probably take 2 full off seasons to do it properly.  We've upgraded Saffold who was an embarrassment.  Now we need to send Spencer to depth only and land a faster footed RT.  We'll need to draft a G/C to take over for Mitch after this season.

If OBJ is willing to play for less than 12M then maybe? I want an early round wr too.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, khlax3 said:

Currently the bills have between 9 and 11 open roster spots on their 53 man roster. With 6 draft picks this bills will add at least 4 more free agents who will make the 53. Here is the breakdown:

QB: No more additions (Allen and Allen)

RB: 1 more addition (cook, Hines Gilliam) we will add one more back and I think it will be in FA. I don’t think they would want to go into the season with just cook and Hines and a rookie. Fornette and Elliot make sense because they don’t count against comp. Damien Harris is another option

TE: 1 more addition (Knox, Morris) they will add a guy here a with a deep draft at the position I expect it will be in the draft rather than a FA

WR: 2 more additions (diggs, Davis, shakir, harty) I am thinking one FA and one in the draft. There are two options here go with a more expensive vet and then draft a WR late or draft receiver early and go with an older cheaper vet. My vote would be Jarvis Landry to solidify the slot with shakir and then draft a wr early on the outside)

OL: 2 more addition (Dawkins, McGovern, Morse, Bates, Brown) I would expect a FA tackle (Shell has beeen rumored) and draft a C/G prospect in mid rounds

DT: 1 more addition (Oliver, Settle, Jones). They could go with a guy like Bryant to fill out the roster but I think it will be a mid round draft pick

DE: 1 more addition (Miller, Groot, Epenesa, Basham) if the bills think Miller will be good to go to start season maybe they go with a late round pick or bring back lawson. My preference would be to grab an older vet on cheap 1 year deal (Ingram, clowned, Houston, someone that is still producing but not going to cost a lot)

LB: 1 more addition (Milano, Bernard, Dodson, matekovich, Spector) Wagner. Would solidify this group if not I expect an early draft pick

Secondary: 0-2 additions (poyer, Hyde, Hamlin, mayden, white, benford, Elam, Neal, lewis, Jackson) this position may not need anything but it depends what they want to do. Does mayden make the 53. They signed him for a 2 year deal so I think so. Is Hamlin back this season? Does benford move to saftey? Do they cut Neal? If they stay as is they are set. If Hamlin mayden or Neal are not available or don’t make team they need to backfill.

Based on needs I see the bills doing the following in the draft 

rounds 1-3: some combination of MLB, WR, TE

rounds 4-6: some combination of IOL, DT, DB

Pretty spot on analysis. Can't argue with this foresight. 👍

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yes it is officially time to emphasize the offense over the defense.  And it will probably take 2 full off seasons to do it properly.  We've upgraded Saffold who was an embarrassment.  Now we need to send Spencer to depth only and land a faster footed RT.  We'll need to draft a G/C to take over for Mitch after this season.

If OBJ is willing to play for less than 12M then maybe? I want an early round wr too.

Who do you like that could realistically be available at WR?  I think in round 1 only Addison - Flowers and Downs are good, but slot only guys (or at least I think so) and I think between Shakir and Harty the Bills’ think they have enough there.  Quentin Johnston’s questionable hands might let him slide to Bills, but guys who body catch are not a good mix with Allen’s fastball.  I guess I could understand if they took Jalen Hyatt.  Late in round 2, I don’t think I will be enamored with anyone who will likely be there.  Late round 3 might find some value lining up with the pick, but are you going to find anyone as good as Davis that late in this class?

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

They will be trading their 1-3 round picks for a combined 12 5-7 rounders. We will be told it’s a great move because we have our best track record w we other late round picks abs they are cap friendly. We can’t afford 1-3 round salaries and pay Allen. This board will go crazy celebrating Beane’s genius and how he is way ahead of the game. Soon every team will be trading all 1-3 rounders to the Chiefs. 

go the full UDFA route…..or collect the entire 6th round

Brandon Shell is terrible! Just the kind of OL Beane covets. It's a lock.

Seriously, we need to raise the bar here. If all we do to repair this OL is sign Shell and McGovern and then wait until day 3 to address the OL, I will assume that the folks at OBD aren't capable of taking this team to the SB much less win it. Blocking matters.

Edited by GreggTX

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

What is the basis for 9 to 11? Won't the Bills go to training camp with 90 players?  There will be lots of FA signings. And there will be undrafted free agent rookies too. 

There are 9-11 spots available on the 53 man roster. With 6 draft picks that leaves at least 4 FA that will be brought in and will be on the team. I’m not taking Udfa or practice squad type FA that will round out the 90 Man roster

3 minutes ago, khlax3 said:

There are 9-11 spots available on the 53 man roster. With 6 draft picks that leaves at least 4 FA that will be brought in and will be on the team. I’m not taking Udfa or practice squad type FA that will round out the 90 Man roster

Bills I don't think there is enough salary cap to add four veteran free agents at more than the Vet minimum and have enough for the draft class.  I do not see how it is feasable to add Wagner, Landry and Elliot. 

16 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Bills I don't think there is enough salary cap to add four veteran free agents at more than the Vet minimum and have enough for the draft class.  I do not see how it is feasable to add Wagner, Landry and Elliot. 

I think it’s doable.

wagner had a 7.5 million cap hit last year and will be 33this year I think the Jordan poyer contract could get it done and that’s less than a 4 million cap hit. If you add a void year can be under 3 million.

landry had a 1 year 3 million deal last year I would expect a 1 year 2.5 to 3 million deal again. 

zeke I am not really sure what he will get but at this point I dont think there is a huge market for him to drive the price up. Maybe 2 year 7 million with a year 1 cap hit around 3 million. 

To sign all 3 probably need around 9 million plus 2.5 for draft picks. That putsyou right at the cap but can free up money pretty easily by extending Daquan jones or Hyde by another year. Also can free up 2.5 million by cutting Neal. 

5 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

How can you with any degree of confidence say what we will add? Why doesn’t Beane just address the gaping holes in our roster with the best available FAs. We need a physical veteran at ILB with speed, another RB who can move the pile and pass protect, Edge rusher because Miller can’t be counted on early in the season, another safety . The #2 receiver can be addressed in the draft. If our GM is any good he should get difference makers at 2 of these needs while they’re still on the board.

I suspect that, due to cap limitations, he will wait until he spots a FA bargain - possibly after the draft.

Would not surprise me at all to see a big name free agent signed if the price is right.

I think he has done the right thing in getting key free agents early in the two most deficient positions on the roster - OG and WR. Whether or not they will make a valuable contribution is another matter.

I can see 3 "depth" signings prior to draft, ie: RT (Shell), Rb (Fournette), and a DE....that might be stretching it.  But think that gives us some flexibility to focus on our top weaknesses in the top 4 rounds (WR, MLB, IOL, and DT).

This means he absolutely needs to hit on a couple starter caliber players and key depth in the draft.  This is going to be a different season of playing rookies, don't have the luxury of spending on vets.  

I'm hoping for a WR, MLB, OG/C, DT, TE, and S.  Assuming we sign a RT to compete with Brown, Rb, and DE prior to the draft.   

We could really use an upgrade over Bates and Brown, but I think Spencer hasn't hit his ceiling and will be a good enough RT.  Bates, he is what he is right now.  I don't see how we run it back with our current group of WRs, biggest weakness.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

I suspect that, due to cap limitations, he will wait until he spots a FA bargain - possibly after the draft.

Would not surprise me at all to see a big name free agent signed if the price is right.

I think he has done the right thing in getting key free agents early in the two most deficient positions on the roster - OG and WR. Whether or not they will make a valuable contribution is another matter.

He signed a potential slot receiver with speed who is coming off a serious injury, and a guard. The positions that demand talented FA is ILB and a big bodied back who can get short yardage and pass protect. He whiffed on 3 backs who would have been perfect(Foreman, Williams and Perrine) and signed affordable deals.Beane freed plenty of cap space to get a couple of meaningful FA. Why is he waiting to get FA that won’t help? So far he’s been bad. Our fan base shouldn’t accept this.

5 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Christian Benford is not playing in the slot which is where the nickel plays. Benford is going to play boundary CB and cross train at Safety. The backup nickel is Cam Lewis. If Johnson gets hurt it’s Lewis going on not Benford. 

They need a backup safety/nickel who is better than Cam Lewis and Siran Neal 

Why not Jackson or Elam in the slot if Taron got hurt? They would be far better than Lewis. One of those two will be the #3 CB. Elam has good man to man skills so maybe he can drop inside if needed.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Why not Jackson or Elam in the slot if Taron got hurt? They would be far better than Lewis. One of those two will be the #3 CB. Elam has good man to man skills so maybe he can drop inside if needed.

Dane has never played slot, in his entire college and NFL career.  Not 100% about Elam.

But now we're talking about cross-training 3 players at a new position...who are young and still need time to improve at primary spot.

Either trust Neal/Cam, or draft a better backup at nickle

Just now, MasterStrategist said:

Dane has never played slot, in his entire college and NFL career.  Not 100% about Elam.

But now we're talking about cross-training 3 players at a new position...who are young and still need time to improve at primary spot.

Either trust Neal/Cam, or draft a better backup at nickle

One of those two will be sitting the majority of the game. Getting some reps at nickel in OTAs and training camp is the time to see how they do. Both Elam and Jackson are far better than Neal or Lewis. Put your best guys on the field. Its not like they don't play some man to man sometimes and have to play close to the line as the offense may dictate even when they line up outside.

6 hours ago, khlax3 said:

Currently the bills have between 9 and 11 open roster spots on their 53 man roster. With 6 draft picks this bills will add at least 4 more free agents who will make the 53. Here is the breakdown:

QB: No more additions (Allen and Allen)

RB: 1 more addition (cook, Hines Gilliam) we will add one more back and I think it will be in FA. I don’t think they would want to go into the season with just cook and Hines and a rookie. Fornette and Elliot make sense because they don’t count against comp. Damien Harris is another option

TE: 1 more addition (Knox, Morris) they will add a guy here a with a deep draft at the position I expect it will be in the draft rather than a FA

WR: 2 more additions (diggs, Davis, shakir, harty) I am thinking one FA and one in the draft. There are two options here go with a more expensive vet and then draft a WR late or draft receiver early and go with an older cheaper vet. My vote would be Jarvis Landry to solidify the slot with shakir and then draft a wr early on the outside)

OL: 2 more addition (Dawkins, McGovern, Morse, Bates, Brown) I would expect a FA tackle (Shell has beeen rumored) and draft a C/G prospect in mid rounds

DT: 1 more addition (Oliver, Settle, Jones). They could go with a guy like Bryant to fill out the roster but I think it will be a mid round draft pick

DE: 1 more addition (Miller, Groot, Epenesa, Basham) if the bills think Miller will be good to go to start season maybe they go with a late round pick or bring back lawson. My preference would be to grab an older vet on cheap 1 year deal (Ingram, clowned, Houston, someone that is still producing but not going to cost a lot)

LB: 1 more addition (Milano, Bernard, Dodson, matekovich, Spector) Wagner. Would solidify this group if not I expect an early draft pick

Secondary: 0-2 additions (poyer, Hyde, Hamlin, mayden, white, benford, Elam, Neal, lewis, Jackson) this position may not need anything but it depends what they want to do. Does mayden make the 53. They signed him for a 2 year deal so I think so. Is Hamlin back this season? Does benford move to saftey? Do they cut Neal? If they stay as is they are set. If Hamlin mayden or Neal are not available or don’t make team they need to backfill.

Based on needs I see the bills doing the following in the draft 

rounds 1-3: some combination of MLB, WR, TE

rounds 4-6: some combination of IOL, DT, DB

nice e v a l and info. Probably most added will add UDFA 

Edited by cba fan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.