Bills will add at least 4 more Free Agents

khlax3

Currently the bills have between 9 and 11 open roster spots on their 53 man roster. With 6 draft picks this bills will add at least 4 more free agents who will make the 53. Here is the breakdown:

QB: No more additions (Allen and Allen)

RB: 1 more addition (cook, Hines Gilliam) we will add one more back and I think it will be in FA. I don’t think they would want to go into the season with just cook and Hines and a rookie. Fornette and Elliot make sense because they don’t count against comp. Damien Harris is another option

TE: 1 more addition (Knox, Morris) they will add a guy here a with a deep draft at the position I expect it will be in the draft rather than a FA

WR: 2 more additions (diggs, Davis, shakir, harty) I am thinking one FA and one in the draft. There are two options here go with a more expensive vet and then draft a WR late or draft receiver early and go with an older cheaper vet. My vote would be Jarvis Landry to solidify the slot with shakir and then draft a wr early on the outside)

OL: 2 more addition (Dawkins, McGovern, Morse, Bates, Brown) I would expect a FA tackle (Shell has beeen rumored) and draft a C/G prospect in mid rounds

DT: 1 more addition (Oliver, Settle, Jones). They could go with a guy like Bryant to fill out the roster but I think it will be a mid round draft pick

DE: 1 more addition (Miller, Groot, Epenesa, Basham) if the bills think Miller will be good to go to start season maybe they go with a late round pick or bring back lawson. My preference would be to grab an older vet on cheap 1 year deal (Ingram, clowned, Houston, someone that is still producing but not going to cost a lot)

LB: 1 more addition (Milano, Bernard, Dodson, matekovich, Spector) Wagner. Would solidify this group if not I expect an early draft pick

Secondary: 0-2 additions (poyer, Hyde, Hamlin, mayden, white, benford, Elam, Neal, lewis, Jackson) this position may not need anything but it depends what they want to do. Does mayden make the 53. They signed him for a 2 year deal so I think so. Is Hamlin back this season? Does benford move to saftey? Do they cut Neal? If they stay as is they are set. If Hamlin mayden or Neal are not available or don’t make team they need to backfill.

Based on needs I see the bills doing the following in the draft 

rounds 1-3: some combination of MLB, WR, TE

rounds 4-6: some combination of IOL, DT, DB

• Like (+1) 17
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 10

Nice post.

I hope they resign Shaq Lawson - I thought he played quite well last season.

I think they HAVE to bring in a young safety candidate, probably in the draft.  Poyer and Hyde won't play much longer and would be nice to have a year or so with a young player learning from them - at least by watching how they study and play.

They HAVE to bring in a LB to at least challenge for the position that Edmunds vacated.  Maybe they believe in Terrel Bernard, but man he and Milano would have to be the smallest pair of LBs in the league.  I generally don't like to dump on a recent draft pick as a bust because who knows how they'll come along, but I think everyone was surprised that Bernard was picked in round 3 and his almost complete lack of playing time was not a strong indication that they like him.  

I'd love to see WR addressed, but I don't know that I'd pay OBJ much coming off knee surgery and at his age.  I can't see how they could possibly afford to trade for a vet who isn't on a rookie contract, so I think that leaves the draft for this position.  I don't think there are any clear upgrades over Gabe Davis available in the draft after say, round 1 - if there is even one there.  If Rashee Rice makes it to late 2nd, he might have a chance to challenge Davis or be his replacement in 24 if Davis leaves for a ton of $.

They might be able to find a pretty inexpensive RB in FA to pair with Cook.  I really like Singletary, but I think they are looking for a power guy to complement Cook.  

It would not shock me if they take 2 OL and a LB in the first 3 rounds.  Still, I won't be shocked if they dip into a strong CB class to give them flexibility to release Tre White in 2024 - if he doesn't regain his pre-injury form, he'll be pretty expensive relative to performance.  Best case, of course, is White returns to his pre-injury form and they'd be happy to keep paying him.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Well as of right now the Bills are gonna have to add just as many defensive picks as offense in a draft that should be focused on offensive line and skill positions. Gotta get a veteran MLB and possibly a Frank Clark. Then and only then they could draft a defensive player if he's best player available by far.

12 minutes ago, khlax3 said:

Currently the bills have between 9 and 11 open roster spots on their 53 man roster. With 6 draft picks this bills will add at least 4 more free agents who will make the 53. Here is the breakdown:

QB: No more additions (Allen and Allen)

RB: 1 more addition (cook, Hines Gilliam) we will add one more back and I think it will be in FA. I don’t think they would want to go into the season with just cook and Hines and a rookie. Fornette and Elliot make sense because they don’t count against comp. Damien Harris is another option

TE: 1 more addition (Knox, Morris) they will add a guy here a with a deep draft at the position I expect it will be in the draft rather than a FA

WR: 2 more additions (diggs, Davis, shakir, harty) I am thinking one FA and one in the draft. There are two options here go with a more expensive vet and then draft a WR late or draft receiver early and go with an older cheaper vet. My vote would be Jarvis Landry to solidify the slot with shakir and then draft a wr early on the outside)

OL: 2 more addition (Dawkins, McGovern, Morse, Bates, Brown) I would expect a FA tackle (Shell has beeen rumored) and draft a C/G prospect in mid rounds

DT: 1 more addition (Oliver, Settle, Jones). They could go with a guy like Bryant to fill out the roster but I think it will be a mid round draft pick

DE: 1 more addition (Miller, Groot, Epenesa, Basham) if the bills think Miller will be good to go to start season maybe they go with a late round pick or bring back lawson. My preference would be to grab an older vet on cheap 1 year deal (Ingram, clowned, Houston, someone that is still producing but not going to cost a lot)

LB: 1 more addition (Milano, Bernard, Dodson, matekovich, Spector) Wagner. Would solidify this group if not I expect an early draft pick

Secondary: 0-2 additions (poyer, Hyde, Hamlin, mayden, white, benford, Elam, Neal, lewis, Jackson) this position may not need anything but it depends what they want to do. Does mayden make the 53. They signed him for a 2 year deal so I think so. Is Hamlin back this season? Does benford move to saftey? Do they cut Neal? If they stay as is they are set. If Hamlin mayden or Neal are not available or don’t make team they need to backfill.

Based on needs I see the bills doing the following in the draft 

rounds 1-3: some combination of MLB, WR, TE

rounds 4-6: some combination of IOL, DT, DB

How can you with any degree of confidence say what we will add? Why doesn’t Beane just address the gaping holes in our roster with the best available FAs. We need a physical veteran at ILB with speed, another RB who can move the pile and pass protect, Edge rusher because Miller can’t be counted on early in the season, another safety . The #2 receiver can be addressed in the draft. If our GM is any good he should get difference makers at 2 of these needs while they’re still on the board.

They will be trading their 1-3 round picks for a combined 12 5-7 rounders. We will be told it’s a great move because we have our best track record w we other late round picks abs they are cap friendly. We can’t afford 1-3 round salaries and pay Allen. This board will go crazy celebrating Beane’s genius and how he is way ahead of the game. Soon every team will be trading all 1-3 rounders to the Chiefs. 

• Haha (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

they need another Safety who can play nickel. I don’t want to see Cam Lewis on the field 

Where do you think Benford is playing?  I have him at safety 3, behind Poyer and Hyde.  White, Elam, Johnson, Jackson, and Neal at corner.  4th safety between Lewis and Mayden.

15 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Where do you think Benford is playing?  I have him at safety 3, behind Poyer and Hyde.  White, Elam, Johnson, Jackson, and Neal at corner.  4th safety between Lewis and Mayden.

Christian Benford is not playing in the slot which is where the nickel plays. Benford is going to play boundary CB and cross train at Safety. The backup nickel is Cam Lewis. If Johnson gets hurt it’s Lewis going on not Benford. 

They need a backup safety/nickel who is better than Cam Lewis and Siran Neal 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.