Laremy Tunsil resets OT market. 3 year $75 million ext w/ $50 mil gtd and $30 mil signing bonus

Big Turk

6 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

The San Francisco 49ers have been awarded 7 compensatory picks from Robert Saleh (New York Jets), Mike McDaniel (Miami Dolphins) and DeMeco Ryans (Houston Texans), and general managers Martin Mayhew (Washington Commanders) and Ran Carthon (Tennessee Titans).

Maybe I missed the memo, but do Robert Saleh and Mike McDaniel qualify as minorities?

Not many nerd HCs but is that a minority now?

The Texans trade with Miami to get Tunsil was the beginning of the Texans' collapse.  They gave up waaaay too much.  The Dolphins used the picks and drafted well, making them the clear threat to the Bills for the AFCE.  But the Texans just lost their way.  Remember it was the Texans that beat the Bills in the playoffs just a few years ago.  Since then they've shed Watson and Hopkins for nuthin'.  

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Per ESPN Sportcenter...

Holy crap...guess they needed to clear Cooks off their books(I know you liked the rhyming skills 😂) to extend Tunstill, as those happened pretty quickly in succession.

That's crazy money for an OT 

There seems to be this common theme of if you have a sucky team you have lots of cab space

1 hour ago, Poleshifter said:

Maybe I missed the memo, but do Robert Saleh and Mike McDaniel qualify as minorities?

Mike McDaniel has a highly punchable face

3 hours ago, Poleshifter said:

They both triggered compensation per NFL rules.

4 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I think Tunsil has officially made up the money he lost from the gas mask video, and then some. Congratulations to him, for playing to a level, high enough to overcome the initial impact.  Not everyone that happens to, does.  

Yes, and it raises the question, "Who's laughing now?"

34 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

They both triggered compensation per NFL rules.

What are those rules? I don’t know their ethnic background.

Is McDaniel Irish-American or something else? Saleh may be Lebanese, perhaps?

It just seems kind of random, like the compensatory pick rules.

4 hours ago, Poleshifter said:

Yes. McDaniel is black and Saleh is of Middle Eastern descent.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Yes. McDaniel is black and Saleh is of Middle Eastern descent.

Right.

A little research goes a long way:

Mike McDaniel - His dad is black, while Donna, his mom, is white. 
Robert Saleh is of Lebanese descent. Upon his hiring by the Jets, he became the first Muslim head coach in NFL history.

22 hours ago, Kaenon said:

I wonder what QB Texans will take at #2.

Rookie contract while Tunsil is getting paid mega-dollars.

The rookie QB is the only way this makes any kind of sense.  But even with the cheap(ish) QB, $20m/year guaranteed $25m/year overall for a not best in the league non-QB is how you stay bad/mediocre.  I know LT and Edge are the marquee non-QB positions, but they're not worth starting QB money unless they're the unquestioned #1 in the league unanimous 1st Team All Pro.

*edit*

Just realized I misread the title, it's only $50m guaranteed not $60m.  Oh well, point mostly still stands and I will leave my original idiocy intact for posterity.

Edited by 1ManRaid

On 3/19/2023 at 3:26 PM, aristocrat said:

It’s all about percentage of cap. Cap goes up contracts go up but percentage stays about the same 

The percentages are WAY out of line at this point.  The argument has been there for QBs, but things have broken open on all fronts and the cap is being decimated by drunk GMs just throwing money at everyone.   If you have a top LT, Top QB and a top WR, you will be in for 90+ M, or 40% of the cap on THREE players.  That is not doable. Throw in a DE and a LB and you find yourself at 130+m or over half the cap in 5 guys..  obviously you can’t have top guys everywhere, but this is where things are headed, either you have talent on rookie deals or you lose them the minute they aren’t.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.