Siran Neal decision looming

BillsDad51

57 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the difference is as big but yes, less impactful because STs play fewer snaps. But to go from the best pair in the league to having neither of them in 2023 feels like a huge downgrade that I can't see the Bills being willing to accept.

Fair enough

1 hour ago, cba fan said:

they can release him, then resign him for less and he can fight in camp for a spot on 53 or PS.

Someone else could sign him, too.  

I think they overvalue special teams coverage at times,  but in this case,  if there's no specific plan or need for that cap space to be freed up right now,  they're better off keeping a good ST player.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Herb Nightly said:

Where did you see he was the fastest guy on the team? Not even close. Ran a 4.56 at the combine. I saw an article last year listing the top 5 and pretty sure he wasn't named.  Jones,McKenzie,Diggs, John Brown and I'm blanking on the other .

You're right. Neal has good not great speed but is an excellent all-around athlete.

I believe he has a high RAS.

3 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

I don't think they're cutting Neal, for the simple reason that it's unlikely that we re-sign Taiwan Jones, who plays the opposite gunner position

Sport GIF by UFC

3 hours ago, cba fan said:

they can release him, then resign him for less and he can fight in camp for a spot on 53 or PS.

Yes. I think by hook or crook Neal will be on the Bills 2023 roster.

We'll know soon enough.

4 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Beane said in his presser Cam Lewis best position is nickel corner, followed by safety, then corner

Picked that up too. He also alluded to more “difficult decisions” regarding dumping salaries. 

6 hours ago, BillsDad51 said:

Per Buffalo News. Siran Neal due a $400,000 roster bonus Sunday. If he is released, it saves $2.246 million in cap space for 2023.

Give me Neal and not bring back Jones.  If Neal is released Jones will eat up most of the cap saving.

Maybe extend him lower his cap hit?

Maybe Mcdermott becomes more multiple without Edmunds?  More dime on 3rd and long.  Felt our go to nickel looks were getting predictable.  Either way I think Neal stays or we resign Jones.

Edited by Mat68

I think if it's just a matter of DB's and Neal saves that on the cap - it's a no brainer. We're loaded at Corner with the return of Dane to the point where we could move Benford to Safety, where we already have Poyer returning and now sounding like Hamlin as well.

The problem is he's a core Special Teamer as well. And though we brought back Matakevitch and Dodson, Kumerow and Taiwan haven't been brought back. So releasing Neal would cut into the Teams even more.

It's an interesting dilemma.

If they do release him, the only two players remaining from Beane's 2018 Draft would be Allen & Taron Johnson. 

Otherwise, if they do release him, we won't miss him.  He's entirely expendable.  He takes just a few defensive snaps per game, 0 in over half, and his contributions on STs have been negligible.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Disagree 1

I thot Taiwan and siran played horribly this year on ST. 

they weren’t doing anything blocking the opposing gunners on PR. I believe Taiwan also got caught touching a punt in a pats game. It was egregious 

and as gunners they made some plays , but whiffed a lot on coverage

get rid of them 

• Disagree 1

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Only to people who don't value ST which (checks notes) would not include Beane or McDermott

I heard from reliable sources on this board that there is no need to use any more than UDFAs on special teams and when player is out just elevate someone from practice.  It is amazing that such people are not signed to NFL front offices. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

So Neal's calling card is that he was said (at least a year ago-ish) to be the fastest player on the team.   

He's a ST gunner (I think - where's @GunnerBill to set us straight on all the ST roles?) or at least filled in for Kumerow, he was taking 77% of the ST snaps.  He's our dime back, and Taron Johnson's backup at nickel.  So he's versatile.

Personally, I don't think the Bills see him as a looming decision.  $400 bonus really isn't much in the scheme of things.  Neal has 3 roles on the team, so why not bring him into camp and keep him until you have someone else you like better in at least 2 of 3?

I think the reason the Bills saved McKenzie's bonus is that they signed someone who can fill his role and they think will be better. 

I don't see that as having happened with Neal.

Only to people who don't value ST which (checks notes) would not include Beane or McDermott

Some good points Hapless, but I don’t think the situation is as one sided as you do.  They may very well keep Neal, largely because of his special teams ability, though I don’t think it’s a given.  

You mentioned that he’s the Bills “dime back and Taron Johnson’s backup at nickel.”  He is the dime back but the Bills rarely play Dime and stick with their base Nickel defense.  

Neal doesn’t play many defensive snaps though, because he’s very poor at coverage.   Look no further than the game against Kansas City this fall.  

It was thought that Neal, a player who I believe has boxing experience, could be physical and“beat up” a talented Tight End like Travis Kelce.  The problem is he’s not very good at coverage and a few of his blunder turned into big plays including a long JuJu touchdown.  He didn’t play many defensive snaps after that moment.  

So it all comes down to whether Buffalo wants to $2 million on the cap for a ST’s player or to reallocate 

2 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Give me Neal and not bring back Jones.  If Neal is released Jones will eat up most of the cap saving.

Maybe extend him lower his cap hit?

Maybe Mcdermott becomes more multiple without Edmunds?  More dime on 3rd and long.  Felt our go to nickel looks were getting predictable.  Either way I think Neal stays or we resign Jones.

If you play Neal on defense more often, get used to this:

10 hours ago, Brandon said:

Given that there doesn't seem to be any big rush to open up more cap space,  I think they'll likely keep him. 

It could go either way, I think. He can actually play defense if asked, though not at the level you'd like.

If pressed, I'd project that they'd keep him. Wouldn't be surprised either way, though.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 3/18/2023 at 3:49 PM, Solomon Grundy said:

Was the Lewis signing the writing on the wall for Siran? 

I wish.  I think Neal stays.  I’m not happy about it, but it’s w/e.  This team will likely always put a lot of value on ST.  But this is bass‘s last year before he gets paid.  Maybe they’ll invest less in ST coverage when they have to pay the kicker 5M+ per year.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.