Siran Neal decision looming

BillsDad51

14 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Only to people who don't value ST which (checks notes) would not include Beane or McDermott

I'm thinking the Zane Anderson signing, that got a lot of people scratching their heads, is his replacement.

He fills the ST role and may bring more to the S position itself.

Roster bonus aside, Neal could still go to camp and the decision put off until September.

If this board had been up and running in the early 90s, members would have been calling for Tasker/Pike's releases continuously- "Well, they're overpaid!" "What does Pike do on defense?" "We can replace Tasker with a receiver that actually plays on offense!" "Polian and Levy worry too much about special teams!"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, RussellDopeland said:

If this board had been up and running in the early 90s, members would have been calling for Tasker/Pike's releases continuously- "Well, they're overpaid!" "What does Pike do on defense?" "We can replace Tasker with a receiver that actually plays on offense!" "Polian and Levy worry too much about special teams!"

That’s 30 years ago now.

11 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Unless they like Cam Lewis as the backup Nickle corner, I can't see us letting Neal go.

Neal is one of our best, if not best, S/T core player.  He gets too "grabby" on defense, when given the chance, but worth keeping around given his role.

Not a fan of Cam Lewis and IIRC it seems like every time they blitz Neal, he gets a sack.

25 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So Neal's calling card is that he was said (at least a year ago-ish) to be the fastest player on the team.   

He's a ST gunner (I think - where's @GunnerBill to set us straight on all the ST roles?) or at least filled in for Kumerow, he was taking 77% of the ST snaps.  He's our dime back, and Taron Johnson's backup at nickel.  So he's versatile.

Personally, I don't think the Bills see him as a looming decision.  $400 bonus really isn't much in the scheme of things.  Neal has 3 roles on the team, so why not bring him into camp and keep him until you have someone else you like better in at least 2 of 3?

I think the reason the Bills saved McKenzie's bonus is that they signed someone who can fill his role and they think will be better. 

I don't see that as having happened with Neal.

Only to people who don't value ST which (checks notes) would not include Beane or McDermott

He is our starting gunner opposite Taiwan Jones. They have been the best gunner tandem in football the past 3 seasons. 

I would be stunned if they cut him.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

That’s 30 years ago now.

And Tasker is a guy who is arguably the best cover guy in NFL history- and should be in the Hall. But you can be sure that members of this board would have bitched about him- why he was being paid so much, a waste of a roster spot- etc, etc. as they do with every ST player on the team now- it's moronic!

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm thinking the Zane Anderson signing, that got a lot of people scratching their heads, is his replacement.

He fills the ST role and may bring more to the S position itself.

Roster bonus aside, Neal could still go to camp and the decision put off until September.

Zane Anderson and Siran Neal do not play the same position on special teams. 

So, no.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He is our starting gunner opposite Taiwan Jones. They have been the best gunner tandem in football the past 3 seasons. 

What role did Kumerow play, then?  Thought he was one of the gunners as well.

Anyway, I think TBN is incorrect that the Bills are going around making decisions about each guy who is owed a (relatively small) roster bonus.  I think the decision on McKenzie was driven by feeling that Harty (and Shakir, and Hines) can fill every role they saw for McKenzie next season and do it better, so bye!

Unless they signed someone who they have on film as a top notch gunner AND a Dime back AND can play Nickel, I agree, Neal stays.

But then, I did think that $250k-$350k was too small an amount not to bring McKenzie into camp to compete and clearly the Bills valued his $2.2M now more than his camp competition, so you never know.

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That's a bit strong Gunner, wouldn't you say.  There are plenty of able bodied young guys floating around we can bring in to play gunner reasonably well I have to believe.  Neal can't play defense and is making too much money to just play Special teams.  We desperately need reinforcements on both lines, WR and LB.  And another solid TE would be nice.  (I would not mind drafting the kid Kincaid out of Utah if he is there at 27.  But I am not sure the Bills are that progressive thinking w their offense to make a two TE look, a mainstay in their scheme.)  So if we have to go bare bones on special teams for the sake of fortifying the lines especially, I am willing to make that trade off.  

The Bills management seems under the illusion that but for some tough circumstances last season, we were good enough to compete for the championship.  I just don't buy that.  And I hope I am wrong with my assumption.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

What role did Kumerow play, then?  Thought he was one of the gunners as well.

Anyway, I think TBN is incorrect that the Bills are going around making decisions about each guy who is owed a (relatively small) roster bonus.  I think the decision on McKenzie was driven by feeling that Harty (and Shakir, and Hines) can fill every role they saw for McKenzie next season and do it better, so bye!

Unless they signed someone who they have on film as a top notch gunner AND a Dime back AND can play Nickel, I agree, Neal stays.

But then, I did think that $250k-$350k was too small an amount not to bring McKenzie into camp to compete and clearly the Bills valued his $2.2M now more than his camp competition, so you never know.

Kumerow was their next guy up at gunner (and early in the season was rotating in some with Taiwan) but he also played inside as a blocker on some kick off coverage snaps.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Kumerow was their next guy up at gunner (and early in the season was rotating in some with Taiwan) but he also played inside as a blocker on some kick off coverage snaps.

OK, different from 2021 then when Kumerow was one of the gunners?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.