Siran Neal decision looming

BillsDad51

7 minutes ago, BillsDad51 said:

Per Buffalo News. Siran Neal due a $400,000 roster bonus Sunday. If he is released, it saves $2.246 million in cap space for 2023.

So Neal's calling card is that he was said (at least a year ago-ish) to be the fastest player on the team.   

He's a ST gunner (I think - where's @GunnerBill to set us straight on all the ST roles?) or at least filled in for Kumerow, he was taking 77% of the ST snaps.  He's our dime back, and Taron Johnson's backup at nickel.  So he's versatile.

Personally, I don't think the Bills see him as a looming decision.  $400 bonus really isn't much in the scheme of things.  Neal has 3 roles on the team, so why not bring him into camp and keep him until you have someone else you like better in at least 2 of 3?

I think the reason the Bills saved McKenzie's bonus is that they signed someone who can fill his role and they think will be better. 

I don't see that as having happened with Neal.

6 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

His salary versus worth sticks out like a sore thumb.

Only to people who don't value ST which (checks notes) would not include Beane or McDermott

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Personally, I don't think the Bills see him as a looming decision.  $400 bonus really isn't much in the scheme of things.  Neal has 3 roles on the team, so why not bring him into camp and keep him until you have someone else you like better in at least 2 of 3?

I can think of 2.246 million reasons 😎

18 minutes ago, BillsDad51 said:

Per Buffalo News. Siran Neal due a $400,000 roster bonus Sunday. If he is released, it saves $2.246 million in cap space for 2023.

It depends on what else the Bills are trying to do. 

I have no concerns with the Bills releasing Neal, but are the Bills working to get a Defensive Lineman in here, another WR, a Safety? 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

It’s a no brainer, but it also depends on what else the Bills are trying to do. 

I have no concerns with Neal releasing  Neal, but are the Bills working to get a Defensive Lineman in here, another WR, a Safety? 

Yeaaaaaaa who’s playing DL this year ?

it’s Oliver , settle , and DQ. And a bunch of fringe roster guys 

AjE , groot, boogie , and a bunch of fringe roster guys ( Kingsley , Mike love ect)

are we signing an Ingram , Dunlap , jjp?

9 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So Neal's calling card is that he was said (at least a year ago-ish) to be the fastest player on the team.   

He's a ST gunner (I think - where's @GunnerBill to set us straight on all the ST roles?) or at least filled in for Kumerow, he was taking 77% of the ST snaps.  He's our dime back, and Taron Johnson's backup at nickel.  So he's versatile.

I think the reason the Bills saved McKenzie's bonus is that they signed someone who can fill his role and they think will be better. 

I don't see that as having happened with Neal.

Only to people who don't value ST which (checks notes) would not include Beane or McDermott

Neal has made some pretty good ST tackles. at that price ? you can keep him around methinks until better comes along

1 minute ago, Yantha said:

Will be released for sure.

Question is if he'll be signed back for a vet minimum after he "tests the market".

This. he will return at a lowered cost i would wager

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, MasterStrategist said:

Unless they like Cam Lewis as the backup Nickle corner, I can't see us letting Neal go.

Neal is one of our best, if not best, S/T core player.  He gets too "grabby" on defense, when given the chance, but worth keeping around given his role.

Beane said in his presser Cam Lewis best position is nickel corner, followed by safety, then corner

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, balln said:

Yeaaaaaaa who’s playing DL this year ?

it’s Oliver , settle , and DQ. And a bunch of fringe roster guys 

AjE , groot, boogie , and a bunch of fringe roster guys ( Kingsley , Mike love ect)

are we signing an Ingram , Dunlap , jjp?

I agree.

With Von likely to start the year on PUP and Lawson a FA, that leaves Epenesa, Rousseau and Basham at DE.

And DT is really thin, with DaQuan going into his final year, Oliver on his final year and a pay-cut Tim Settle, with Phillips a FA too.

SC Bills made a good point about not simply re-signing Lawson and Phillips because the Bills know them, but cutting Neal doesn’t do much for the team if the cap space doesn’t get put to use.

Also, there are only (4) NFL worthy WRs under contract - Diggs, Davis, Shakir and Harty, so you’d think the Bills would add one more there.

And the Bills are done on the OLine? 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.