D-Hop & The King

NastyNateSoldiers

19 minutes ago, NC-billsfan! said:

I hate being disrespectful by posting non Hopkins stuff, but I am interested in yours and others views on Oliver. I randomly chose to respond to your post. My point would be, why on earth would you trade Oliver in a contract year? This is when the first round “meh’s” come out to play. It’s payday. He will probably be a beast next year, let’s ride it and see him out the door as they get paid a ton to revert to their former selves. See Phillips and Shaq. Thanks for posting. Go Bills!

The reason many people would like to trade Oliver is to move resources from the Defense to the Offense.  Oliver is over $10M and that money would go a long way in getting an elite player on offense.  

To the OP, I think it would be more realistic to think of one move, not multiple.  And to rate those moves.  Sure D Hop would look great but he is picks and a huge salary.  J Jeudy would cost less monetarily but comes at a big draft pick and looming cost a year out.  OBJ comes with a midrange cost and lots of injury/recovery risk.  D Henry comes at mid-range draft cost and mid-range to high cost - but is also an RB. 

I'd like to see the FO do an off the radar move of a draft pick for M Evans.  Not as expensive as D Hop, more proven experience than Jeudy, healthier than OBJ, and not an RB like D Henry.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The reason many people would like to trade Oliver is to move resources from the Defense to the Offense.  Oliver is over $10M and that money would go a long way in getting an elite player on offense.  

To the OP, I think it would be more realistic to think of one move, not multiple.  And to rate those moves.  Sure D Hop would look great but he is picks and a huge salary.  J Jeudy would cost less monetarily but comes at a big draft pick and looming cost a year out.  OBJ comes with a midrange cost and lots of injury/recovery risk.  D Henry comes at mid-range draft cost and mid-range to high cost - but is also an RB. 

I'd like to see the FO do an off the radar move of a draft pick for M Evans.  Not as expensive as D Hop, more proven experience than Jeudy, healthier than OBJ, and not an RB like D Henry.  

As Billz4ever has pointed out,  the money is fully guaranteed, so a cut is out of the question. Sounds good to trade him to allocate resources to offense but I don’t think it’s realistic. Could it happen, sure, but I’d rather keep him. It’s a contract year for him. One very good year and he’s gonna get paid big time, hopefully not by us. Honestly, I think we are gonna ride out his last year, it makes sense.

The other points are interesting, I was more interested in the Oliver chat, which honestly I feel bad posting about in here because I don’t want to hijack the OP’s post. I like your screen name. 

Edited by NC-billsfan!
  • Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Chaos said:

He is going to be a free agent. If he has a good year on the Bills another team can offer him the same contract.  Oliver is only worth his current salary. If he was released outright, no one is likely signing him for more than $10mm this season.  So teams aren't going to give up compensation for the same luxury.

You won't get a good return on any trade with him, but wouldn't say no one would be interested.  A team with a lot of money to spare may take a gamble on him.  Yes he's a FA next season, but whomever he plays for in 2023 does have the inside track on signing him to a new contact as a last resort could tag him.  Also that team can sign him prior to next March.

Will he get traded not likely, but if the Bills were desperate to offload the salary, I'm sure they could find a taker at a low return on value.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, NC-billsfan! said:

As Billz4ever has pointed out,  the money is fully guaranteed, so a cut is out of the question. Sounds good to trade him to allocate resources to offense but I don’t think it’s realistic. Could it happen, sure, but I’d rather keep him. It’s a contract year for him. One very good year and he’s gonna get paid big time, hopefully not by us. Honestly, I think we are gonna ride out his last year, it makes sense.

The other points are interesting, I was more interested in the Oliver chat, which honestly I feel bad posting about in here because I don’t want to hijack the OP’s post. I like your screen name. 

That’s my Fantasy football team name! 😂 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

You won't get a good return on any trade with him, but wouldn't say no one would be interested.  A team with a lot of money to spare may take a gamble on him.  Yes he's a FA next season, but whomever he plays for in 2023 does have the inside track on signing him to a new contact as a last resort could tag him.  Also that team can sign him prior to next March.

Will he get traded not likely, but if the Bills were desperate to offload the salary, I'm sure they could find a taker at a low return on value.

I think the fact that a team could tag him and keep him is a possibility. But I’m with you, unlikely. I bet Einstein’s dog is smarter than ours, hell, he’s probably smarter than me. 😃

4 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I wouldn't.  The offense can't give Henry enough touches.  Cook and Hines need to see the field to be part of the passing game. 

Diggs is the team prima donna, and I wouldn't put another in the receiver room. The Diggs-Hopkins show would be a distraction. 

If I were going to stretch, it would have been for a stud offensive lineman. 

You might be over thinking the Diggs Hopkins thing.

But we really cannot afford him at this point anyways.
Bills could make good use of another OG. and need to invest in our next center.
So if Connor is the next center ??? We still need a starting RG who is a big upgrade for years to come.
I would say RT but thinking Bills love Brown. so a swing tackle in the draft perhaps

5 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

That assumes Tennessee even wants Oliver.  Why would they want an undersized, underperforming DT who's owed almost $11M dollars this year?

I'd be talking to Denver about them having interest in a DT. I think they have the most need and Jeudy would be the target though we would have to top up our offer with a (late round?) pick. I keep hearing conflicting accounts on whether Broncos are interested in moving the receiver. Broncos opening position is a first. 
At least the Pats are out of the running now but still 3 or 4 teams with interest.

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Like (+1) 1

Since 2016 the Bills 2nd round picks have consisted of: Reggie Ragland, Zay Jones, Shnowman, Cody Ford, AJ Epenessa, Boogie Cantbashanyone, James Cook...

You seriously wouldn't sacrafice ONE of those guys to get Henry for a super bowl run?????

Need to push the chips at some point. Let's go. 

If the Hopkins price has been reduced from a 2nd to a 3rd and pieces, for sure I’m doing it, but it’s not in a vacuum. 

Everything hinges on being able to move Oliver’s cap space off the roster.

Then the Neal lever would have to be pulled, and DaQuan get extended and cap hit spread out just to have a shot at Hopkins.

And then you’d have to rework the Hopkins deal to try and make everything fit, it would leave nothing remaining. 

I’ve read on Rotowire that his cap hit for teams trading for him is $19.4M in 2023 and $14.94M 2024, but he has a $30M cap hit on Spotrac for 2023 and $26M in 2024.

So for this to be realistic, what is the real cap number? 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I wouldn't.  The offense can't give Henry enough touches.  Cook and Hines need to see the field to be part of the passing game. 

Diggs is the team prima donna, and I wouldn't put another in the receiver room. The Diggs-Hopkins show would be a distraction. 

I like the Hopkins idea, but Henry is a complete chef of our offense.  We’re not going to do that, and he’s not worth the investment.  I think he’s a $10 mil. Guy.  Hopkins isn’t cheap, but adds to our needs.

6 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Agree if not able to get one in the draft. Sign veteran RB to compliment and pair with Cook. Fix the O-line and watch Allen take that next step in his development. We just need to have the threat of being able to run the ball but protecting Allen in the pocket is more important for a pass first offense.

7 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Making these deals would make our offense unstoppable force just imagine Allen , Diggs, Hopkins, Harty , Davis & Knox in the passing game and King Henry and Cook in the running game . This would absolutely take the league by storm . Defensive coordinators around the league would definitely not be sleeping much trying to prepare for this onslaught. 

Yes, and the whole 1.5 seconds Allen has to get rid of the ball and the initial contact for Henry and Cook 1-2 yards in the backfield!

7 hours ago, SCBills said:

It’s definitely a risk.  

I don’t think he’s getting 20M.  I do think 2/30 could get it done .. especially if Hopkins goes to Dallas and takes them out of the running.  

We could fully guarantee his salary this year, with Davis still here, and then leave ourselves an out next year if it could be structured that way. 

You want to pay OBJ $30m ?

Maybe cut that in half …

6 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Where are you hearing this?

Twitter , so it must be true 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.