D-Hop & The King

NastyNateSoldiers

Why would the FO extend a 30+ year old WR who hasn't produced at an elite level in two years?  Very rarely in football does a player return to peak form 2-3 years after the fact.  This Hopkins and OBJ talk is fantasy football banter from 2018.  

1 hour ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Definitely. The Saints were 100mil over just last yr . Who did they lose? Now there signing Carr for 40mil per. The cap can be manipulated no doubt.

There’s really not much left the Bills can do to create more cap space this season. Restructure of Tre White’s deal could net $6M. I don’t love that though. I expect him to return to form this season, but the Bills can move on from him next off-season if he doesn’t. A restructure makes that tougher.

Dawkins has room, but they re-did his last season and he’d likely insist on an extension this off-season if Beane asked him to create some space. I love Dawkins, but there were real concerns about him being in proper shape the last couple seasons. I make him earn that extension first.

Oliver could theoretically be traded, but we would not net much in return and then we would need to find a 3T to replace him. That would eat up some of the savings - if we could even find one at this point.

So while the Bills could find ways to squeeze out some more space this year, none look like good options. I think they stand pat and look for a reasonably priced MLB and then some bargain FAs. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I wouldn't.  The offense can't give Henry enough touches.  Cook and Hines need to see the field to be part of the passing game. 

Diggs is the team prima donna, and I wouldn't put another in the receiver room. The Diggs-Hopkins show would be a distraction. 

If I were going to stretch, it would have been for a stud offensive lineman. 

And there's your perfect answer to this thread.  It's fun to dream but not even remotely realistic.  Whatever money left needs to go to OL.

49 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

D Hop and Robinson in round 1 may be a good replica of this without getting Henry’s money and need for 15 carries to get into a rhythm.  Draft OL in 2nd and 4th in this case. 

I feel the same the Bills could handle the rookie contract much easier than having Henry's money added to it & i think if Beane could trade Oliver & his cap hist o Az he would have already done it .

Oliver is a average player but a team that has the money & a need to upgrade to their D he could be a good fit for them but everything has to come together just that way & the one thing is if Beane does put this out there how will Oliver react to it ?

His money would be guaranteed so after finding out that Beane was using him as trade bait would he actually play hard or would he just show up to collect a pay check & be a liability ? So there is a lot to consider and I think it would have to be a team that came to Beane with this idea & not the other way around because of the possibility of what could happen .

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I wouldn't.  The offense can't give Henry enough touches.  Cook and Hines need to see the field to be part of the passing game. 

Diggs is the team prima donna, and I wouldn't put another in the receiver room. The Diggs-Hopkins show would be a distraction. 

If I were going to stretch, it would have been for a stud offensive lineman. 

Agreed, plus I don’t think Dorsey has proven he can make all these dynamic pieces work together.

1 hour ago, Billz4ever said:

Even if you cut Oliver, it still counts as dead cap.  

You're now saying we can just cut him, but in another breath say we can trade him?

You're saying a guy we can just cut has trade value?

I hate being disrespectful by posting non Hopkins stuff, but I am interested in yours and others views on Oliver. I randomly chose to respond to your post. My point would be, why on earth would you trade Oliver in a contract year? This is when the first round “meh’s” come out to play. It’s payday. He will probably be a beast next year, let’s ride it and see him out the door as they get paid a ton to revert to their former selves. See Phillips and Shaq. Thanks for posting. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

That was my point that it depends how much they were willing to accomodate Henry. Hence "it would be stretch" and "its a narrow road".  Not sure how to help you understand further. 

Likely the only teams that would be interested in Oliver would be a team in a rebuild mode and has the money to take a chance on him.   If he has a good year he could be the centerpiece of the D line and sign him to a new contract.  If he doesn't work out and plays better, they let him go.  BUT likely going to get a poor return for him as teams are taking on over paid contract.  Or maybe a contending team that has a big hole at DT.  Could have a better chance on getting a better return by waiting till August and maybe a contender loses their DT for season to injury.

Kind of like how we signed Star 5 years ago.  He was a FA so didn't give up anything, but took a chance on him being the seasoned vet to build around.  It didn't work out too well as good mediocre return, though do think he provided more value than stat sheet showed.

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

If he has a good year he could be the centerpiece of the D line and sign him to a new contract.

He is going to be a free agent. If he has a good year on the Bills another team can offer him the same contract.  Oliver is only worth his current salary. If he was released outright, no one is likely signing him for more than $10mm this season.  So teams aren't going to give up compensation for the same luxury.

5 minutes ago, NC-billsfan! said:

I hate being disrespectful by posting non Hopkins stuff, but I am interested in yours and others views on Oliver. I randomly chose to respond to your post. My point would be, why on earth would you trade Oliver in a contract year? This is when the first round “meh’s” come out to play. It’s payday. He will probably be a beast next year, let’s ride it and see him out the door as they get paid a ton to revert to their former selves. See Phillips and Shaq. Thanks for posting. Go Bills!

Yeah in an ideal world we could sign Oliver to a "prove it" mini extension to lower his hit this year. But the world is probably fantasyland lol.

11 minutes ago, NC-billsfan! said:

I think it's abundantly clear Oliver hasn't lived up to what the team expected from him when they took him at #9 overall.  Having said that, I think it would be difficult to find a team willing to take on his $11M salary going into this year.  I think we're stuck with him for this year and we just have to hope for the best and that he has a breakout season in a contract year.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Lots of smoke for Hopkins to Dallas. 

Me, personally, I’d rather try to sign OBJ at 2yr/30M without giving up picks than trade for Hopkins. 

The ultimate all-in move for me (that doesn’t mortgage the future)

-Trade Oliver to recoup our Day 3 pick / clear 10M

-Sign OBJ 

-Trade for Henry / extend past this year 

-Extend Hyde to match Po

-Extend Daquan Jones

We still retain our RD1, RD3 and three Day3 picks to address LB, Safety depth, OL & DL. 

Two year window with:

Diggs/OBJ

Henry

Von

Hyde/Poyer

White

Morse(?)/Dawkins

Then a whole bunch of cap starts coming off the books as we look to retool around Allen. 

I believe these moves you post are the ones that will put the Bills over the top

3 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Yeah in an ideal world we could sign Oliver to a "prove it" mini extension to lower his hit this year. But the world is probably fantasyland lol.

That would be ideal. But I envision him playing like a monster this year to get paid mega bucks on his next contract. I believe he will be good to very good this year and there will be no way to afford him next year. He’s essentially Tremaine. Someone’s gonna pay him and it won’t be us. But let’s not get rid of him now because I’d bet the house he’s gonna have a big year. Let’s use it for the SB push then get a decent comp pick.

6 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

I don't think it can really be argued that Oliver hasn't lived up to what the team expected from him when they took him at #9 overall.  Having said that, I think it would be difficult to find a team willing to take on his $11M salary going into this year.  I think we're stuck with him and we just have to hope for the best.  

See my response to TheBeaneBandit. I agree, he’s not going anywhere. But I think next year at this time 11 million might look like a deal.

1 hour ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

There’s definitely enough touches for everyone there offense should have at least 70 plus plays a game. There probably not even going to punt on average more then once per game. Plus these guys all would love to give a little to win the ultimate prize which is a Super Bowl . Diggs and Hopkins won’t have issues they want to win and they still can get there 150 targets each . It’s win win situation 

That's just wishing away the problems.  As others have said, Henry is only useful if you give him a lot of carries.   He has to pound away, play after play, and he is not a threat in the passing game.   He simply isn't useful, and never has been, as an all-purpose back in a role like Motor's role.  And if you think Hopkins and Diggs isn't a potential problem, you really haven't been paying attention to their careers.  They both want the ball, and they're both vocal about it in their ways.   Both expect to be the lead dog.  To suggest that their personalities are going to change because they want to win the Super Bowl is ignoring reality.

41 minutes ago, NC-billsfan! said:

Agreed, plus I don’t think Dorsey has proven he can make all these dynamic pieces work together.

Another good point.  Dorsey wasn't good enough with the cast of characters he had, and that cast of characters was good enough.  

Dorsey is the answer to the offense in 2023, Dorsey and the offensive line.   

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Double News Flash:  Beane hasn't gotten it all right, not even close. And that's why we have regressed the last 2 consecutive seasons and still failed to make a SB appearance in Josh's career sweet spot.

To date, these guys HAVE decided our OL is good enough, but that's been wrong.  If they slap a few band aids on it again, we'll be in trouble.

By the way, in our last game of the season, the one that mattered most, our OL got its ass handed to them by a team that would go on to lose the AFC Championship game.

Don't measure Bills success when we beat up on a 5 win team in October.  Measure it by what we do in the post season.  Our record there is shaky at best, for a team that is expected to WIN THE SUPER BOWL.

I agree with u I was just responding to what the Bills believe is the shape of there Oline . I don’t believe they were as bad as some make them out to be . I realize Josh makes them look better at times but there’s also the times we’re Josh takes to long to get rid of the ball. The Bills will use a couple pks on the Oline in the middle of the draft a couple players to develop. There not using there high pks or cap space to do that’s all I’m saying . 

11 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

That's just wishing away the problems.  As others have said, Henry is only useful if you give him a lot of carries.   He has to pound away, play after play, and he is not a threat in the passing game.   He simply isn't useful, and never has been, as an all-purpose back in a role like Motor's role.  And if you think Hopkins and Diggs isn't a potential problem, you really haven't been paying attention to their careers.  They both want the ball, and they're both vocal about it in their ways.   Both expect to be the lead dog.  To suggest that their personalities are going to change because they want to win the Super Bowl is ignoring reality.

Another good point.  Dorsey wasn't good enough with the cast of characters he had, and that cast of characters was good enough.  

Dorsey is the answer to the offense in 2023, Dorsey and the offensive line.   

Absolutely not I’ve seen Henry gash teams from the start of the game. He doesn’t need to be feed too get going that’s completely false . Now playing with the Bills is also much different then facing 8/9 man boxes in Tenn so he would be much more efficient playing for us. The Bills lead the league in yards before contact for RBs in 2022 . Even if they stay in the top 10 in that category facing light boxes Henry would consistently get over 120yds playing for Bills on 18/20 touches per game. He would dominate no doubt about it and there’s plenty of plays for everyone to get there touches as long as the offense is moving the ball and with these additions as long as there healthy they should average upwards of 70+ plays a week on offense. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.