IFL Indoor Football League started tonight why isn’t Buffalo in this league?

Buffalo Super Fan

On 3/18/2023 at 3:43 PM, Buffalo Super Fan said:

My after college years in my twenties were the 1990’s. Buffalo had everything sports wise going on with all kinds of sports teams in the 1990’s. We had professional soccer, roller hockey, arena football. Look at Canisius College that I am alum of. Griffs basketball is scary bad and few fans at KAC a glorified high school gym that doesn’t say Buffalo is happening anymore. Canisius College can’t afford Key Bank Center because Buffalo is broke and quit on college basketball locally because they are broke. If you don’t have enough people in the Western New York population to write a $150 check for Griffs season tickets you are falling as a Western New York community. Again giving the Buffalo Bills $10,000 PSL’s doesn’t say Buffalo is happening when we have far more of everything else sports wise attendance is flat or really declining in Griffs basketball numbers case.

Today as a 55 year old I am being told Buffalo is happening today. But we can’t afford USL soccer on the professional level we are working on. What is that? It’s a joke amateur soccer isn’t professional the level is terrible. I saw Tony Meola play for the Buffalo Blizzard NPSL indoor soccer that was paid professional soccer. Yet today indoor soccer went on without Buffalo even tiny Utica has a team in the MASL indoor soccer not Buffalo. We can’t afford it. We don’t need to play the San Diego Sockers or St Louis Ambush or the Kansas City Comets or Milwaukee Wave or Harrisburg Heat we have Bills Mafia and are happening successful city we have Terry Pegula who has zero vision just a taker of public money. We are a mess and our wealthy continue to not live in Western New York or invest just what can they suck out of Western New York.

Again when investors are more interested in the metropolitan city’s of Quad City Steamwheelers in Moline, Illinois, Des Moines, Iowa the Iowa Barnstormers are Phoenix, Arizona with the Arizona Rattlers and the San Diego, California, San Diego Strikeforce you know Buffalo isn’t happening as a place to invest in sports wise or anything in anymore. We wonder why we are always coming up short and are disappointed because those other cities have more investment from there wealthy people that actually live there not all in Florida like Buffalo. All our Buffalo area sports teams are owned by two families Terry Pegula and Bob Rich they are both in Florida. Inside Buffalo investment is zip we aren’t happening even with the wasteful billion dollar tunnel to no where just plain old money laundering and play for pay nothing changes but the year in Western New York that is the truth in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Chat GPT is 55 years old?

On 3/18/2023 at 6:15 AM, Not at the table Karlos said:

Nobody put the money up to have a team in Buffalo I'm guessing. 

Then what does that say about Buffalo? How are the Buffalo Bills selling those expensive boxes in the new stadium with such a limited offering of programming? Why would you pay if you are a company lets say double for what the Bills are currently offering? Just because it has technology upgraded? I can tell you what was really shocking that new Bills stadium scoreboard was very underwhelming I wasn’t impressed it looked smaller than what the Bills currently have.

The Key Bank Center has zero tenants beyond the two teams that Seymour and Norty Knox started. How long have they been gone decades? Again why are we even building a new Buffalo Bills stadium for $1.4 billion dollars if our area sucks so bad for our young wealthy to invest if there are any young wealthy in Western New York to invest? Key Bank Center can’t get small business teams where players in the IFL make between $250 to $500 a game. MASL

the salary is between $15,000 to $45,000 a player for the whole new Buffalo Blizzard indoor soccer team is less than a fourth line Buffalo Sabres player? If that is a heavy lift how is NFL staying in Buffalo long term with the kind of dollars that the NFL is asking there member teams going forward? Again we are building a open air football stadium for $1.4 billion dollars we can’t fill the dome stadium downtown already? What? I was in Key Bank Center with no seats in it as a Buffalo Blizzard season ticket holder when it was being built. I was 100% behind the new arena except I would have also kept the Buffalo AUD as a college sports home for our area Division I teams along with a Buffalo Sports Museum. I wouldn’t have built that Explore and More Kids Museum that is a money loser because they already have one in Rochester instead in that area I would have made that area all high end housing to build a tax base for the city there.

When I first saw Key Bank Center it look like a giant space ship compared to Buffalo Memorial Auditorium just huge. I will tell Buffalo fans that Key Bank Center was way more impressive than the crap we are building in Orchard Park. Anyway when I was inside Key Bank Center I thought there is no way this place wasn’t going to be happening 300 nights a year for the next 50 years. At first it was then when the 1990’s ended first the Big 4 basketball left. Then the Buffalo Blizzard left after 2001. Buffalo fans don’t realize that was a heavy loss for this city. The Buffalo Blizzard were many of our soccer players taking on the teams in indoor soccer NPSL it gave Key Bank Center 20 dates a year. Then in 2003 the Buffalo Sabres go bankrupt the Buffalo Destroyers Arena Football team gets sold to Columbus, Ohio another heavy loss for Buffalo. Again these teams create jobs gone bye, bye. 

Key Bank Center never was right from a business standpoint after those dates going away. What the Buffalo Sabres waste on Ralph Krueger to not coach could have paid for both those teams. We aren’t talking MLS or NBA we are talking MASL and IFL if stuff like that is a heavy left today for Buffalo. How is a Buffalo fan believing that the New Bills stadium isn’t going to be a white elephant that just rots there 350 days a year in Orchard Park? PSE can’t expand there business at Key Bank Center. How are PSE running a new stadium when they can’t run Key Bank Center? San Diego Arena is a dump compared to Key Bank Center. Why can’t PSE or anyone have that building filled for more than Buffalo Sabres wine tasting? Again Key Bank Center can’t be that empty and make a profit for the Buffalo Sabres it isn’t possible. How are the Buffalo Sabres justifying renovations to Key Bank Center when there is no investment there. They build Harbor Center with the hotel and shops but they don’t have enough critical mass of fans to support those business because Key Bank Center doesn’t do a lot of business anymore compared to the 1990’s. It is just a matter of time before Key Bank Center loses the NCAA tournament because of all the new arenas going up. If you are a Buffalo fan what is best if you ask me is to hope Terry Pegula sells the Buffalo Sabres to someone local that can focus there energy building the dome stadium that we have downtown empty Key Bank Center which is a disgrace. If you are young you don’t understand Key Bank Center is one of the emptiest arena in America a disgrace sell controlling interest in the Key Bank Center and the Buffalo Sabres we would be better off as a Western New York community. Let PSE run the Buffalo Bills and that new Bills stadium into the ground. Because I always felt that the Key Bank Center is more important for downtown sell Terry Pegula sell the Buffalo Sabres along with Key Bank Center in my opinion. Go Bills! Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

6 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Then what does that say about Buffalo? How are the Buffalo Bills selling those expensive boxes in the new stadium with such a limited offering of programming? Why would you pay if you are a company lets say double for what the Bills are currently offering? Just because it has technology upgraded? I can tell you what was really shocking that new Bills stadium scoreboard was very underwhelming I wasn’t impressed it looked smaller than what the Bills currently have.

The Key Bank Center has zero tenants beyond the two teams that Seymour and Norty Knox started. How long have they been gone decades? Again why are we even building a new Buffalo Bills stadium for $1.4 billion dollars if our area sucks so bad for our young wealthy to invest if there are any young wealthy in Western New York to invest? Key Bank Center can’t get small business teams where players in the IFL make between $250 to $500 a game. MASL

the salary is between $15,000 to $45,000 a player for the whole new Buffalo Blizzard indoor soccer team is less than a fourth line Buffalo Sabres player? If that is a heavy lift how is NFL staying in Buffalo long term with the kind of dollars that the NFL is asking there member teams going forward? Again we are building a open air football stadium for $1.4 billion dollars we can’t fill the dome stadium downtown already? What? I was in Key Bank Center with no seats in it as a Buffalo Blizzard season ticket holder when it was being built. I was 100% behind the new arena except I would have also kept the Buffalo AUD as a college sports home for our area Division I teams along with a Buffalo Sports Museum. I wouldn’t have built that Explore and More Kids Museum that is a money loser because they already have one in Rochester instead in that area I would have made that area all high end housing to build a tax base for the city there.

When I first saw Key Bank Center it look like a giant space ship compared to Buffalo Memorial Auditorium just huge. I will tell Buffalo fans that Key Bank Center was way more impressive than the crap we are building in Orchard Park. Anyway when I was inside Key Bank Center I thought there is no way this place wasn’t going to be happening 300 nights a year for the next 50 years. At first it was then when the 1990’s ended first the Big 4 basketball left. Then the Buffalo Blizzard left after 2001. Buffalo fans don’t realize that was a heavy loss for this city. The Buffalo Blizzard were many of our soccer players taking on the teams in indoor soccer NPSL it gave Key Bank Center 20 dates a year. Then in 2003 the Buffalo Sabres go bankrupt the Buffalo Destroyers Arena Football team gets sold to Columbus, Ohio another heavy loss for Buffalo. Again these teams create jobs gone bye, bye. 

Key Bank Center never was right from a business standpoint after those dates going away. What the Buffalo Sabres waste on Ralph Krueger to not coach could have paid for both those teams. We aren’t talking MLS or NBA we are talking MASL and IFL if stuff like that is a heavy left today for Buffalo. How is a Buffalo fan believing that the New Bills stadium isn’t going to be a white elephant that just rots there 350 days a year in Orchard Park? PSE can’t expand there business at Key Bank Center. How are PSE running a new stadium when they can’t run Key Bank Center? San Diego Arena is a dump compared to Key Bank Center. Why can’t PSE or anyone have that building filled for more than Buffalo Sabres wine tasting? Again Key Bank Center can’t be that empty and make a profit for the Buffalo Sabres it isn’t possible. How are the Buffalo Sabres justifying renovations to Key Bank Center when there is no investment there. They build Harbor Center with the hotel and shops but they don’t have enough critical mass of fans to support those business because Key Bank Center doesn’t do a lot of business anymore compared to the 1990’s. It is just a matter of time before Key Bank Center loses the NCAA tournament because of all the new arenas going up. If you are a Buffalo fan what is best if you ask me is to hope Terry Pegula sells the Buffalo Sabres to someone local that can focus there energy building the dome stadium that we have downtown empty Key Bank Center which is a disgrace. If you are young you don’t understand Key Bank Center is one of the emptiest arena in America a disgrace sell controlling interest in the Key Bank Center and the Buffalo Sabres we would be better off as a Western New York community. Let PSE run the Buffalo Bills and that new Bills stadium into the ground. Because I always felt that the Key Bank Center is more important for downtown sell Terry Pegula sell the Buffalo Sabres along with Key Bank Center in my opinion. Go Bills! Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

It says that the demand was so low the last time there was an indoor team here that they moved to Ohio and nobody wants to flush their money down the toilet to try and bring it back.

You like to blame the owners but the owners aren't in it to give the city free entertainment on their own dime. There has to be customers. They have to pay the players,rent, utilities, police, security, ushers, concession workers, parking attendants... If the people don't come and spend money why even do it. 

I had seasons every year the Destroyers were here. There was never more than a 1/4 of the tickets sold even when they were decent. I ended up becoming friends with a lot of the players because I was one of the few people they saw every week. The team sat us with the injured players behind the bench. There would be a few injured players, my family then nobody else anywhere near us. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

If Buffalo can't support a national Pickleball franchise how will the Bills and Sabres ever remain viable here?  Losing two franchises with no local interest in irrelevant semi-pro leagues really was the final nail in the coffin for WNY, IMO.

• Haha (+1) 2

It is a misconception that Buffalo is this amazing sports city.  We do have a deep love affair with the Bills.... and the Sabres get supported well for the most part (although this is overstated and there are fits and starts).  The Bandits thing is a nice story too, but it is an enigma that has taken root (in large part to the local reservations), as were the crazy Bisons years from 1988 to 1991.

It is tough to get support for much here if it isnt Bills or Sabres.  I have talked to people about an OHL team in town a bunch of times, and this arena football team kind of falls into this.  People will not support minor league/irrelevant stuff here.  We have a pretty decent NCAA football and basketball program with some national relevance (or was building national relevance) and most people wont bother.  We have 2 Division 1 NCAA Hockey programs in the area who aren't supported, and you never hear a peep until they win their conference.  An OHL team would die on the vine, as would most other sports ventures.  

I say it in a lot of similar topics, and likely already did here... but things would be different if we had Fortune 500s anchored downtown, along with a lot of affluent residents and a self-sustaining ecosystem with grocery stores, convenient mass transit, and everything people need to live without leaving the confines of downtown proper/first ring of the city.  In that case, there would be a much more thriving nightly scene downtown and teams like this could survive.  As it is, people arent in a hurry to drive from Grand Island, Williamsville, or West Seneca to park and attend an arena football game.  

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

It is a misconception that Buffalo is this amazing sports city.  We do have a deep love affair with the Bills.... and the Sabres get supported well for the most part (although this is overstated and there are fits and starts).  The Bandits thing is a nice story too, but it is an enigma that has taken root (in large part to the local reservations), as were the crazy Bisons years from 1988 to 1991.

It is tough to get support for much here if it isnt Bills or Sabres.  I have talked to people about an OHL team in town a bunch of times, and this arena football team kind of falls into this.  People will not support minor league/irrelevant stuff here.  We have a pretty decent NCAA football and basketball program with some national relevance (or was building national relevance) and most people wont bother.  We have 2 Division 1 NCAA Hockey programs in the area who aren't supported, and you never hear a peep until they win their conference.  An OHL team would die on the vine, as would most other sports ventures.  

I say it in a lot of similar topics, and likely already did here... but things would be different if we had Fortune 500s anchored downtown, along with a lot of affluent residents and a self-sustaining ecosystem with grocery stores, convenient mass transit, and everything people need to live without leaving the confines of downtown proper/first ring of the city.  In that case, there would be a much more thriving nightly scene downtown and teams like this could survive.  As it is, people arent in a hurry to drive from Grand Island, Williamsville, or West Seneca to park and attend an arena football game.  

I imagine that in cities with NHL and NFL franchises, interest in minor league teams (particularly within the same sport) is less in general.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

First this isn’t a college sports town anymore regardless of the sport it just isn’t. I have supported all of the major football UB and Big 4 basketball with season tickets we aren’t a college sports town. Minor league or minor professional sports absolutely outdraws Buffalo local college sports it has been that way since the 1980’s.

I disagree the Buffalo Sabres don’t have great Buffalo support without the Canadian support. The Buffalo Destroyers and Buffalo Blizzard outdrew the Buffalo college teams. The Buffalo Bandits would draw regardless of the reservations. The Buffalo Bandits support is stronger than the always failing Buffalo Sabres take away the Sabres Canadian fan base there is nothing. Look

at Buffalo Bandits games that use to be Buffalo Sabres games in the old Buffalo AUD all most everyone was rooting for the home town team that isn’t the case with the Buffalo Sabres.

The Buffalo Bandits working class fans can afford the games you seem to gloss over that. Buffalo Bills are a national brand that are traditional and draw a lot of out of town fans for the weekend. The Buffalo Sabres are Canadian and original six fans see Boston, New York Rangers and Montreal brand now it was embarrassing watching that. Why is that happening economically the Buffalo Sabres are beyond working class fans today. The Buffalo Bisons play 75 games they outdraw the Buffalo Sabres total attendance. The Buffalo Bisons are a good example of what working class Buffalo can support. Why? My opinion it’s economics Buffalo working class fans aren’t spending $40 a ticket plus $20 to park that isn’t happening regardless of the Buffalo Sabres success or lack of success.

The Buffalo Blizzard had family season tickets for 4 for $500 plus parking ramp for 20 games that is working class sports team. The Buffalo Destroyers $50 and $100 season tickets that is working class team. There is this myth that Buffalo will support the Buffalo Bills, Sabres and Buffalo college teams more if we keep minor professional sports out of Buffalo. It’s exactly the opposite attendance is worse today than ever before because young people aren’t experiencing live sports games of anything much in Buffalo anymore. There are no more Buffalo Blizzard Boy Scout and Girl Scout nights other than the Buffalo Bisons. Not a lot of family affordable teams anymore. It’s dangerous because young fans aren’t growing up like my generation, my nieces and nephews did. Again the Buffalo Bills aren’t affordable anymore it’s television for most people. Same with the Buffalo Sabres. Keeping everything out isn’t making the Buffalo Bills or Buffalo Sabres any less at risk of moving.

Again if Buffalo, Western New York doesn’t become economically more attractive in the next 15 years 100 percent BSF guarantee both the Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres are in jeopardy of being moved regardless of the so called ironclad lease. Buffalo can’t keep shrinking economically saying nothing to see here. I also think that the Buffalo Blizzard returning in any professional soccer form would be very popular again. The Buffalo Blizzard left because the owner was ill dying and no one was interested buying the Buffalo Blizzard at the time and they folded. The Buffalo Destroyers drew decent Mark Hamister lost out on the Buffalo Sabres bid and was ticked off selling the Buffalo Destroyers to Columbus, Ohio. Buffalo Destroyers season ticket holders got Dear John letters the Buffalo Destroyers are moving to Columbus, Ohio good bye thank you for support.

Buffalo OHL wouldn’t work in Buffalo I agree with that. Buffalo AHL would work because working class Buffalo Sabres fans watching on television at home now priced out of the NHL today would be able to see future Buffalo Sabres prospects for under $20 which is more affordable than $40 plus a game in my opinion. Go Bills! Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• 3 months later...

Today is the list of the 16 AFL Teams for 2024 unfortunately Buffalo, New York Buffalo Destroyers didn’t make it. 

1. Austin Wranglers 

2. Boise Shock

3. California rumor is the San Jose Sabercats or will it be Los Angeles Avengers, Los Angeles Cobras or Anaheim Piranhas

4. Colorado (Denver) Colorado Crush or Denver Dynamite?

5. Chicago Rush or will it be Chicago Bruisers 

6. Louisiana rumor is the New Orleans Voodoo

7. Minnesota Fighting Pike?

8. Ohio my guess the Columbus Destroyers are going there not Buffalo unfortunately but it could be Cleveland Gladiators or Cincinnati Rockers?

9. Oregon Portland Forests Dragons

10. Orlando mystery will the Orlando Predators leave the NAL?

11. Philadelphia Soul

12. St Louis Stampede

13. Tallahassee ?

14. Tennessee Nashville Kats or Memphis Pharaohs 

15. Washington ? Seattle or Washington DC?

16. West Texas? 

Very vague but not just no Buffalo but no New York City area at all with all the empty arenas in the summer in New York City that is shocking. But unfortunately this is not a state you can do start up sports businesses in anymore very unfriendly business state for minor professional sports leagues and teams today. Part of it is the high cost for insurance work comp I have heard over the years in New York State it has driven minor sports franchises out of New York State notice no New Jersey Newark or Massachusetts Boston or Connecticut Hartford or Michigan Detroit it’s unfortunate but it is what it is. Buffalo Super Fan I don’t like you. Why? For telling the truth that New York state and Erie county area needs to stop giving money to stay to like us and fix the bad business climate in New York State not just Buffalo but the whole state of New York we have been a mess economically forever it seems but by the early 2000’s when the Buffalo Blizzard packed up after 9 years and the Buffalo Destroyers packed up after 5 years that this state isn’t a place to do sports business in anymore. It was a bad sign of where we are today. The Buffalo Beauts PHF women’s professional hockey team folded after 8 years with the PHF being bought that isn’t good in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Are these owners who applied for teams?  Or is it the league currently maintaining ownership of all the teams for now?

I suspect it is the latter.

Just by seeing that list, I would say they missed the mark and the league will (again) fail.  

The league needs to start small, regional, and build-out.  You have a team in Boise, and a team in Louisiana.  That is stupid.  Oregon stretching to Orlando

If it were me, I would try to find markets, who are normally a captive audience to sports, and keep it relatively within a regional foot-print.  Possibly have a number of other cities in mind for another division in the future.  Preferably in cities who do not have both NHL and NBA.  I would start at 5-8 teams.

Iowa (to capitalize on the nostalgia), Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Buffalo?, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Nashville, KC.    Possibilities would include St Louis, Omaha, and Columbus

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.