Isaac Seumalo, G, **Update - Signed by Steelers

Virgil

3 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

I’m assuming all the injury history they didn’t want to take the gamble for 8 million a season when they are already tight to the cap.  

For all we know his price tag was $10-12M at the beginning of the week when we checked in. He may have taken less as his market didn’t develop at that price. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Pretty ridiculous statements right there.  The Steelers have a better offensive identity than the Bills?  Maybe if this were the 1970s.

You are living in the past if you think the Steelers are building a good team.  They look like heavy favorites to be the last in their division - congrats to them.  And wasn't this the organization that did the first round pick on the RB (that got less ypc than Singletary). 

The Bills don't and shouldn't aspire to be the crusty Steelers.

An identity over the years, yes the Steelers have been better than the Bills. Super bowls and playoff appearances validate this. Many recent in the same era. Their only struggles have come when they've drifted away from solid Oline play and running, and or has bad QB play.  

Edited by RichRiderBills

1 hour ago, GolfandBills said:

I’m assuming all the injury history they didn’t want to take the gamble for 8 million a season when they are already tight to the cap.  

Yet we have a 120 page thread in OBJ. 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Maybe historically, but lately it's been not good in the Steel City. Their roster was at the bottom for talent, and Tomlin deserves a medal for somehow keeping them above .500 again. They've struggled with how to build a roster recently. And I'm not convinced they have the right blueprint for the modern NFL.

Not saying to ignore the Oline, but they've ignored or misjudged a lot to get them to this point.

It’s wild some people underrate Tomlin. He dealt with Big Rape, moron AB, and crazy Levon. He has never had losing season and has started Duck, Rudolph, MT, and Pickett.

I do agree that it will be interesting to see how they do without their GM. But they will end up having a winning year despite all that. It’s what they do. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, TOboy said:

For all we know his price tag was $10-12M at the beginning of the week when we checked in. He may have taken less as his market didn’t develop at that price. 

This could be and our FO wanted to make sure to get an OL at the $6-8M range.  C McGovern agreed and Seumalo wanted more at the time.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

Not much of a gamble considering he played every game last season. For an extra $550K per year compared to McGovern I would have been all over that deal. We got a worse player for almost the same cost. I'm guessing Seumalo got more guarantees and maybe a bigger cap hit in 2023, but still this is a head scratcher for me.

• Like (+1) 4

29 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Not much of a gamble considering he played every game last season. For an extra $550K per year compared to McGovern I would have been all over that deal. We got a worse player for almost the same cost. I'm guessing Seumalo got more guarantees and maybe a bigger cap hit in 2023, but still this is a head scratcher for me.

Head scratcher is becoming normal for Beanes draft picks and fa deals

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Great deal for Pittsburgh-  that Philly wouldn’t make that happen has me question how good they think he really is 

Philly is strapped and he’s basically an extra on their line, its not something I’d think twice about.  Why he lasted so long, that’s another question. 

4 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

Its mind baffling Virgil...I came off that Cincy game and this season thinking we really needed to get tougher on the oline. Get meaner with a more physical attitude. It appears the Bills don't share those concerns....

At a minimum, we have huge depth needs this year and needed solid bodies.

No ones looking for a power running team, but Beane and CO are not on the same page with OLine talent. There have been huge mistakes and those mistakes have been made trying to find lower priced gems in the rough, bringing them in on revolving short term deals, and hoping to develop them. This has largely had C- results.

This track record is a factor when I don't give Beane the "benefit of the doubt" like a good fan should. With OL matters, I simply don't trust them. 

Also the Bills are so stubborn on some (particular) developmental projects like Ford and Brown, they hang on to them much longer out of either arrogance or stubbornness, then jettisoned guys like Teller.

Hell, even our so-called stalwarts like Dawkins and Morse, could be gone in 1-2 years. I just don't get why there was not more priority put on the OL and bringing in a top vet this off season. We had the money to do this....we chose not to and to get by with less....essentially we are not valuing the OL. This will kill us next January.

I'm scratching my head on a couple of the moves / non moves. 

Well all I know is whoever suggested Saffold & Quessenberry should be questioned for their ability to identify talent.  I've said for a few years now our scouts are very mediocre.  Guys like Epenesa,  Basham, Bernard, Ford etc were disappointments.  We just don't have the luxury or cap space to screw up improving our Offense. Maybe we need to re-evaluate how we incentivize these scouts?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Great deal for Pittsburgh-  that Philly wouldn’t make that happen has me question how good they think he really is 

In talking to a Philly fan, they drafted his replacement when he had two years of injuries.  He had a solid bounce back year, and they just had to make a decision.  They’ve lost so many other pieces due to cap space.  

They still have to give Hurts his 50 mil this summer 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Virgil said:

In talking to a Philly fan, they drafted his replacement when he had two years of injuries.  He had a solid bounce back year, and they just had to make a decision.  They’ve lost so many other pieces due to cap space.  

They still have to give Hurts his 50 mil this summer 

Yeah, I had painted Jurgens as Kelces replacement, but with him coming back- Jurgens slides right in.  Makes sense letting him go

3 hours ago, Whites Bay said:

Question for those who know a LOT more about this than do I.  If this is the contract for Seumalo, what is the guesstimate for Risner?  Do the Bills have a shot at this guy, or is it just so much chatter?

I would not hold my breath. They signed McGovern to be a starter. Somehow, Bates is some unshakable stalwart on the line now.  Bargain basement. I'd doubt if they perceive us needing anything but some late round picks for depth. Hope I'm wrong. We will likely sign a couple deep dive dudes on 1 year deals to fill out some depth. 

• Like (+1) 1

McGovern sucks and the Bills obviously have no idea how to evaluate offensive line talent. They think they're upgrading Saffold with McGovern? and paid about the same as Seumalo got?

That's ***** laughable, what a wizard indeed.

On 3/19/2023 at 10:36 PM, Chaos said:

Literally everyone (in the true sense of the word literally) understands PFF is one data point. Your wisdom is non-existant. Your leap to the conclusion, that people who disagree with you are worshipping one data point, is so ridiculous, it is only exceeded by the ignorance of your comment.  

You're bloviating desperately. 

The reason that I pointed out that you are "worshipping," - your word but not a bad one for how you're acting towards them - the one data point is that that's what you're doing. Again and again you've used the fact that someone disagreed with PFF as evidence they were wrong. Generally the only evidence. 

It's not that difficult to understand, but you still didn't manage it. That's why I pointed it out to you. If you do it again, I'll be glad to point it out for you again.

Don't thank me. Glad to do it. My pleasure to serve.

Edited by Thurman#1

Seumalo 10th out of 74 G

McGovern 64th out of 74 G

Similar money, Beane really nailed that one. Good thing he overpaid for crap instead of waiting for better. He might have missed out on McGoverns talent. 

Kind of like if he had drafted the leagues best center Creed Humphrey he would have missed out on Basham's talent.(Beanes comment after the draft. He took DEs in rounds 1 and 2 because he just couldn't pass up Basham's talent). 

27 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Seumalo 10th out of 74 G

McGovern 64th out of 74 G

Similar money, Beane really nailed that one. Good thing he overpaid for crap instead of waiting for better. He might have missed out on McGoverns talent. 

Kind of like if he had drafted the leagues best center Creed Humphrey he would have missed out on Basham's talent.(Beanes comment after the draft. He took DEs in rounds 1 and 2 because he just couldn't pass up Basham's talent). 

Don't know where you get 10th and 64th. Someone's estimate or evaluation, probably. But not a simple fact.

But you don't know it's similar money, yet. Similar AAV, but the details will matter, guarantees, roster bonuses that guarantee at the beginning of the year ... all that stuff matters.

I like Seumalo, and better than McGovern. But you don't know whether we contacted Seumalo or whether we made an offer, or whether he'd always liked Pennsylvania a lot, or what other reasons he had to take the offer. Just purely as an example, it could be that the Bills contacted Seumalo early, were told he'd $11M a year, asked if there was any wiggle room and were told no, said they were willing to give around $9M, were turned down,  decided they needed to get their #2 guy sealed down and did it, and then Seumalo didn't get the offers he expected and his asking price went down. Clearly I don't know if that happened. But it's possible. Fact is, we just don't know.

What we do know is that they're different types. And that different blocking schemes favor different types. Fans tend to favor the hulking earth movers. Understandably. But that doesn't seem to be what Kromer and the Bills want.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.