Isaac Seumalo, G, **Update - Signed by Steelers

Virgil

58 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Huge miss for us. He's 2x the player McGovern is. 

I mean - it's cool to say you'd have preferred Isaac over Connor. But after we signed Connor, this was never going to happen. I can understand wishing for more. But once a move is made, it's made. They aren't going to say "the fans think we should have done more, let's go out and try again" after they've identified the player and spent the money.

• Virgil changed the title to Isaac Seumalo, G, **Update - Signed by Steelers
1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I like the sign one draft one philosophy I think that works

People need to understand we’re not gonna be able to fork out huge money for free agent. Anything we’re gonna have to develop these guys

Your starting line is probably on the team right now, but they can draft a guy that could overtake a player that’s on the team right now

Let’s take a look at this whenever we actually see them playing with their new teams

I think you’re wrong

Agreed.  He’s better….but he’s gonna dip playing on the Steelers line and not between Kelce and Johnson.  

Eager to see the financials.

prediction - 3-38-  26 gtd 

30 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.  He’s better….but he’s gonna dip playing on the Steelers line and not between Kelce and Johnson.  

Eager to see the financials.

prediction - 3-38-  26 gtd 

I’ll say 3 for 24, 11 gtd 

50 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I’ll say 3 for 24, 11 gtd 

His estimated market value is 12.2 per. Might be a little lower - but I don't see it going that much lower.

We're paying Connor McGovern 7.5 annually ourselves. Ben Powers got 12.9 annually. No way Seumalo only gets 8.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

They are one data point. Worth paying attention to. Not worth kneeling in front of and worshipping as a god.

Literally everyone (in the true sense of the word literally) understands PFF is one data point. Your wisdom is non-existant. Your leap to the conclusion, that people who disagree with you are worshipping one data point, is so ridiculous, it is only exceeded by the ignorance of your comment.  

27 minutes ago, Virgil said:

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player/11132/isaac-seumalo

3 for 24!!!   Nailed it.  

Sucks the Bills weren’t in on it 

Its mind baffling Virgil...I came off that Cincy game and this season thinking we really needed to get tougher on the oline. Get meaner with a more physical attitude. It appears the Bills don't share those concerns....

At a minimum, we have huge depth needs this year and needed solid bodies.

No ones looking for a power running team, but Beane and CO are not on the same page with OLine talent. There have been huge mistakes and those mistakes have been made trying to find lower priced gems in the rough, bringing them in on revolving short term deals, and hoping to develop them. This has largely had C- results.

This track record is a factor when I don't give Beane the "benefit of the doubt" like a good fan should. With OL matters, I simply don't trust them. 

Also the Bills are so stubborn on some (particular) developmental projects like Ford and Brown, they hang on to them much longer out of either arrogance or stubbornness, then jettisoned guys like Teller.

Hell, even our so-called stalwarts like Dawkins and Morse, could be gone in 1-2 years. I just don't get why there was not more priority put on the OL and bringing in a top vet this off season. We had the money to do this....we chose not to and to get by with less....essentially we are not valuing the OL. This will kill us next January.

I'm scratching my head on a couple of the moves / non moves. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Virgil said:

3 for 24!!!   Nailed it.  

We saved a cool 400k per year going with McGovern.  He was only 7.6 per season, and is several years younger. McGovern may well end up being the better signing. Interesting how the Steelers seemed to be focusing on building a great online for Kenny Pickett, rather than focus on defense and let Pickett carry the offense by himself.  Very odd of the Steelers. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Chaos said:

We saved a cool 400k per year going with McGovern.  He was only 7.6 per season, and is several years younger. McGovern may well end up being the better signing. Interesting how the Steelers seemed to be focusing on building a great online for Kenny Pickett, rather than focus on defense and let Pickett carry the offense by himself.  Very odd of the Steelers. 

I think the Steelers know a thing or two about how to build a team. Stack an oline for a young QB...run...pass...balanced o in the cold weather built for runs in January. They have an identity...and that's very cool.

...better than our current identy which is to let Allen run around like a chicken with his head cut off and huck it deep into gusts and wind.

Frankly, even K-gun prioritized oline as well...we stacked guys and horded talent on the line....you can argue that line built the K-gun. Shoot, and when the weather got cold and snowy we threw screen passes galore and ran the ball.....not the huck it deep downfield attack forcing throws into wind and bad weather that people falsely recall. 

Edited by RichRiderBills

45 minutes ago, Virgil said:

3 for 24!!!   Nailed it.  

Let's wait and see how the details unfold.  In theory, McGovern's contract is similar at 3 yrs/ $22M.  But his cap hit this season is $4k, and he's guaranteed $8k. 

Those are always the details that matter - what is this year's cap hit, what is actually guaranteed.

Also, Seumalo is 29.  McGovern is 25.    If the Bills feel Kromer can develop McGovern and he can lock down LG long term, it would explain in part why they chose him.

12 minutes ago, Chaos said:

The $400k savings per year are chicken feed, but let's see the details of Seamulo's contract.  All $8k/yr contracts are not equal.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I think the Steelers know a thing or two about how to build a team. Stack an oline for a young QB...run...pass...balanced o in the cold weather built for runs in January. They have an identity...and that's very cool.

...better than our current identy which is to let Allen run around like a chicken with his head cut off and huck it deep into gusts and wind.

Pretty ridiculous statements right there.  The Steelers have a better offensive identity than the Bills?  Maybe if this were the 1970s.

You are living in the past if you think the Steelers are building a good team.  They look like heavy favorites to be the last in their division - congrats to them.  And wasn't this the organization that did the first round pick on the RB (that got less ypc than Singletary). 

The Bills don't and shouldn't aspire to be the crusty Steelers.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

Huge miss for us. He's 2x the player McGovern is. 

Maybe he is, maybe he isn't.  Who a player is, especially on OL, is a moving target.  Because a player has been better, doesn't necessarily mean that he will be better.  Father time is undefeated and injuries do take a toll.

Last year, we brought in an aged vet with an injury history to give us quality LG play for a year.  It didn't work out.

Seumalo is an aging vet (not as aged as Saffold, but will be close at the end of his contract) with a distinguished career and a significant injury history.

McGovern is a young player with development ahead of him.  The Bills chose to go with a younger player, whom they feel is a better fit on their line.  I had high hopes for Saffold, and it didn't work out.  We'll see how this works, but I can't look at it in the abstract and say "Seumalo has been a great guard on a great OL therefore he automatically will be better than a guy who filled in capably for the Cowboys."

I will be very disappointed if the Bills don't still add a couple of players - an OT and if they don't draft OL fairly high.

22 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Its mind baffling Virgil...I came off that Cincy game and this season thinking we really needed to get tougher on the oline. Get meaner with a more physical attitude. It appears the Bills don't share those concerns....

At a minimum, we have huge depth needs this year and needed solid bodies.

No ones looking for a power running team, but Beane and CO are not on the same page with OLine talent. There have been huge mistakes and those mistakes have been made trying to find lower priced gems in the rough, bringing them in on revolving short term deals, and hoping to develop them. This has largely had C- results.

This track record is a factor when I don't give Beane the "benefit of the doubt" like a good fan should. With OL matters, I simply don't trust them. 

Also the Bills are so stubborn on some (particular) developmental projects like Ford and Brown, they hang on to them much longer out of either arrogance or stubbornness, then jettisoned guys like Teller.

Hell, even our so-called stalwarts like Dawkins and Morse, could be gone in 1-2 years. I just don't get why there was not more priority put on the OL and bringing in a top vet this off season. We had the money to do this....we chose not to and to get by with less....essentially we are not valuing the OL. This will kill us next January.

I'm scratching my head on a couple of the moves / non moves. 

Have to agree. Our Oline scared nobody last year and it won't this year. So when we need 3rd and 2, it's Josh getting a pounding again while our line gets pushed back consistently. Beane loves flexible lineman who play multiple positions but dominant in none. It's a finesse  line that does okay with Super Josh at the helm until we meet a playoff team with a great DC who makes one dimensional.  

16 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Frankly, even K-gun prioritized oline as well...we stacked guys and horded talent on the line....you can argue that line built the K-gun. Shoot, and when the weather got cold and snowy we threw screen passes galore and ran the ball.....not the huck it deep downfield attack forcing throws into wind and bad weather that people falsely recall. 

Maybe historically, but lately it's been not good in the Steel City. Their roster was at the bottom for talent, and Tomlin deserves a medal for somehow keeping them above .500 again. They've struggled with how to build a roster recently. And I'm not convinced they have the right blueprint for the modern NFL.

Not saying to ignore the Oline, but they've ignored or misjudged a lot to get them to this point.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.