Isaac Seumalo, G, **Update - Signed by Steelers

Virgil

15 hours ago, Virgil said:

From my understanding, he's able to play both G and C, maybe a little smaller, but great pass protection and the Eagles ran the ball very successfully.  Talked to an Eagles fan and he's just the odd man out due to depth and other signings.  

At this point, I think he'd be a good cheap option that can play the other G spot.  

PFF apparently predicts he'll be 3 years and $33M.

That sounds like a reasonable guess, on the high side a bit but maybe not that high. 

Too much.

He's a really good player, but everybody knows this. It's why he'll get paid.

I'd love to be wrong. I think he's a good player.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

You can hate on PFF.  But they are far more reliable the the JFR ratings. So it simply is true. Below average in 2022. 

image.thumb.png.974d7fc7c5233b846735451c0ce75040.png

Um, no.

You should grab yourself a dictionary and look up two words. One is "opinion," and the other is "fact." There is a fact there. But that is simply that in PFF's opinion he gets a yadda yadda score and a yadda yadda ranking. That's where the facts run out.

You seem to have this idea that because PFF said it, it's true and that there is no argument to it. And that's both wrong and stupid. They're a good organization. But their process tends to favor people-movers and monsters over athletic OLs, and that's not how we block or what we value in OLs. PFF are one data point. That is all. They are not some kind of perfect final arbiters.

He went to the pro bowl this year. That's another data point, just as important. The Bills love him, they let him play through his contract and extended him. They love his performance, they've showed that with money and with confidence. That's another point. Virtually nobody lists center as a need for the Bills except for the future after he leaves. That's another. And unfortunately there are far more positive opinions than negative.

People who love road graders won't like him. But that's not what the Bills want, clearly. They want athletic OLs. They want smart OLs. Morse is both. 

I have no doubt if they could find somebody who was smart athletic and a road grader as well, they'd love that. But those guys are rare. 

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

How many games do you watch a year.  If you watch four games a week, and focus on nothing but oline play, that means you will have seen 25% of plays.  If you watch only Bills games, you see a small fraction of the games overweighted with 6 of them being AFC east opponents.   None of our eye tests really matter, other than too ourselves. 

I watch 8-10 games a week every week of the regular season. I watch the condensed game versions (about 45 minutes but show every play) on my commute. Each year there are a few teams I get to the end of the season and have barely watched but most teams in the NFL I have a pretty good feel for and could name like 17 or 18 of their starting lineup and tell you what I think of their play. 

So I feel like I have a pretty good base fron which to judge strength of rosters and players across the league. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Like others have said, he's going to cost more money than we can afford. If Seumalo was in play for us, we'd have not signed McGovern. McGovern and Bates are our Guards.

Maybe they bring in another Guard that could compete with Bates and be depth. Or Draft one within the first few Rounds. But they aren't going to bring in someone who has a market value of 12.1 per year at this point. That would have been our first move if it were to happen.

Yeah, that's what it looks like to me as well.

I believe it is a balancing act when deciding whether to improve offense vs defense. 2yrs ago the offense was spectacular in the post season and the defense(coaching?) let us down. Last year, the offense couldn't score points against Cincy.  But, losing Edmunds to free agency is no small loss either. You cannot ignore one side of the ball at the expense of the other. Fortunately, there are free agents and there are multiple draft picks.

I believe the draft is going to come down to the best player on the board regardless of whether it is offense or defense. Last year was a very strange draft. The team had so few needs that it wasn't a truly best impact player available type draft. That has significantly changed this year. There are multiple spots that need upgrades, multiple positions with aging vets. This draft will be much less about filling holes and much more about impact players. It has to be because of the shear number of needs.

At the beginning of the season last year, the Bills were considered one of the most complete teams with the most depth. The difference this year is staggering.  I believe Beane has no choice but to go with players that will have the most impact, and sacrifice trying to fill every hole. This team isn't going to have the most depth this year. Maybe some more impact players. Beane has his work cut out for him. He'll have to play the hand he is given and he'll have to be a hard core gambler to pull off a successful off season.  Things change. Hopefully, Beane rolls with them and doesn't sacrifice long term success. A lot of things to consider. He'll have to earn his paycheck this year.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I watch 8-10 games a week every week of the regular season. I watch the condensed game versions (about 45 minutes but show every play) on my commute. Each year there are a few teams I get to the end of the season and have barely watched but most teams in the NFL I have a pretty good feel for and could name like 17 or 18 of their starting lineup and tell you what I think of their play. 

So I feel like I have a pretty good base fron which to judge strength of rosters and players across the league. 

so less than teams of people who watch every game and sell their results for megabucks to NFL teams and the public.  No disrespect, but until you can monetize your opinions with the NFL, there is no reason for anyone else to think they are better or more accurate.   Just different. 

Would he be a better center than Morse? We would save some money but cutting Morse that could be used on a FA upgrade. I’m concerned about his concussions, surprised he hasn’t retired. 

if not him, what about Pocic or McGovern (NJJ) ?

Edited by gflande1

34 minutes ago, Chaos said:

so less than teams of people who watch every game and sell their results for megabucks to NFL teams and the public.  No disrespect, but until you can monetize your opinions with the NFL, there is no reason for anyone else to think they are better or more accurate.   Just different. 

Fair. Although I have no interest in monetising my opinions with the NFL. It is a hobby. I don't want to do it for my career.

5 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Agreed, our O-line is / should be a top priority,  only God knows why it gets ignored for the most part every off season, 

I'm not completely in agreement that the oline gets ignored though. 

Beane has made moves like Ford, Saffold, and Brown. His misses have hurt to solidify the oline combined with some negligence as well. 

18 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I'm not completely in agreement that the oline gets ignored though. 

Beane has made moves like Ford, Saffold, and Brown. His misses have hurt to solidify the oline combined with some negligence as well. 

I said, “For the most part”  what Beane does do would include, what I and others consider to be, a minimal effort to acquire better quality O-lineman, instead he continues to bring in backups,  and developmental players as starters, only our center and LT are above average, and come the post season, it shows in a big way, He won’t overtly say it, but I would suspect Josh is getting tired of this crap…, 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, BeastMode54 said:

I don't see us adding another interior lineman in FA. I feel like they think they are set with Morse, Bates, Connor and Boetger

I like the sign one draft one philosophy I think that works

People need to understand we’re not gonna be able to fork out huge money for free agent. Anything we’re gonna have to develop these guys

Your starting line is probably on the team right now, but they can draft a guy that could overtake a player that’s on the team right now

52 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Huge miss for us. He's 2x the player McGovern is. 

Let’s take a look at this whenever we actually see them playing with their new teams

I think you’re wrong

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Chaos said:

The fact that they've got teams of people gives them an advantage. But there are lots of ways to get an advantage. 

There's no reason to think that 

Your idea that because they have lots of people so all the games get watched makes them better is seriously pathetic, like a child's view. It's not just simplistic, it's dumb.

That would mean that the Pro Bowl would be the ultimate arbiter, the perfect and unassailable  After all, those are decided by millions of people. Together those people have watched all of the games. Amazing to consider, but they've watched them thousands of times more, cumulatively, than even the Gods at PFF.

PFF is a good organization. Their stuff is worth looking at. But they are one data point. One. 

You're coming across as a small person who looked around to find an organization that agreed with him and then decided that because they agreed with him, they were the only ones worth listening to.

It's a dumb idea. They are one data point. Worth paying attention to. Not worth kneeling in front of and worshipping as a god. Doing so only shows your confirmation bias.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.