Isaac Seumalo, G, **Update - Signed by Steelers

Virgil

From my understanding, he's able to play both G and C, maybe a little smaller, but great pass protection and the Eagles ran the ball very successfully.  Talked to an Eagles fan and he's just the odd man out due to depth and other signings.  

At this point, I think he'd be a good cheap option that can play the other G spot.  

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Yeah they have to make re-signing Landon Dickerson the priority so I get Seumalo gets pushed out. 

I have no idea why he is still out there. Maybe he’s waiting and wants to return to philly. 

He was a center in college…jordan Poyers teammate. been a while for him. But I’m sure he can pick it back up. 

I don’t think he will be cheap

I agree with good but not sure if cheap enough given what is left in the Bills salary cap piggy bank. This year has been tough re: salary cap $$$, but will become tougher in 2024 and 2025. You can only kick the can down the road for so long while hoping for those big future annual cap $$ increases.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, LittleSammy said:

I agree with good but not sure if cheap enough given what is left in the Bills salary cap piggy bank. This year has been tough re: salary cap $$$, but will become tougher in 2024 and 2025. You can only kick the can down the road for so long while hoping for those big future annual cap $$ increases.

Well, from what some fellas were posting the other day, there are various income streams that have not kicked in yet. There's a reasonable assumption that the cap will increase considerably in the next few years. I don't know, but I wouldn't simply assume it won't happen and I surmise the FO has factored all this in to how they are operating now.

17 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It won't be cheap. He'll want 12M/ yr.  But he could start at RG and play at a high level.

On Monday I may have agreed with you (although I thought maybe $8-9M). Several days into FA it becomes less likely that he gets the big payday. He may wind up getting $5-6M per on a shorter deal to try and get to the market again. 

• Like (+1) 1

Like others have said, he's going to cost more money than we can afford. If Seumalo was in play for us, we'd have not signed McGovern. McGovern and Bates are our Guards.

Maybe they bring in another Guard that could compete with Bates and be depth. Or Draft one within the first few Rounds. But they aren't going to bring in someone who has a market value of 12.1 per year at this point. That would have been our first move if it were to happen.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Virgil said:

From my understanding, he's able to play both G and C, maybe a little smaller, but great pass protection and the Eagles ran the ball very successfully.  Talked to an Eagles fan and he's just the odd man out due to depth and other signings.  

At this point, I think he'd be a good cheap option that can play the other G spot.  

Seems as if the Bills have the same problem as me…taking too long to find the G spot 🤪

• Haha (+1) 1

At this point in FA, I have to think he won't get more than 7-8 mil per year.  These contracts have overall been a lot lower than anticipated.  Other people are being signed ahead of him for a reason. 

But, I'm your typical armchair expert, so usually wrong

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

At this point it is a game of chicken. A lot of teams could benefit from signing him. He is the size of a C, but could play G.

He is still a tweener.

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Dawkins

McGovern

Morse

Seumalo

Shell

THAT would be a good upgrade.

That would be.  I really will be shocked if Morse plays more than half a season.  And his play was really declining last year.  At this point, he is a below average center. 

• Disagree 2

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Like others have said, he's going to cost more money than we can afford. If Seumalo was in play for us, we'd have not signed McGovern. McGovern and Bates are our Guards.

Maybe they bring in another Guard that could compete with Bates and be depth. Or Draft one within the first few Rounds. But they aren't going to bring in someone who has a market value of 12.1 per year at this point. That would have been our first move if it were to happen.

No way is Bates our starting G.

• Disagree 1

14 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Maybe they bring in another Guard that could compete with Bates and be depth. But they aren't going to bring in someone who has a market value of 12.1 per year.

I don’t know that Bates is a lock to start.   If the plan is to upgrade the line, someone is getting demoted.  Just adding McGovern isn’t going to cut it.  

For me, Bates and Spencer are also on notice 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I don’t know that Bates is a lock to start.   If the plan is to upgrade the line, someone is getting demoted.  Just adding McGovern isn’t going to cut it.  

For me, Bates and Spencer are also on notice 

I wouldn't call them locks, but if you listen to Beane, it doesn't sound like he's in a rush to flat out replace them. Nor is either so bad (Brown especially not having an offseason and coming off surgery) that they should immediately be demoted. Competition, sure. Get some guys in here via the Draft or inexpensive talented up and comers with potential that could push them and maybe beat them out.

But Seumalo is a high priced star that would immediately replace Bates and if that were the plan, to me they'd have done that first and wouldn't have paid McGovern what they paid him. Our cap situation isn't in a place to sign one Guard to a 10+ million dollar deal now.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

He had a pass block win rate of 93.6% last season, which ranked 15th among all guards, and his 72.6% run block win rate ranked 20th.

bills guards were ranked 50th or higher

guessing if he was cheap, he'd be gone already

he'd be a good one to get

• Like (+1) 2

Here is what I wrote about him last month:

G Isaac Seumalo - A lisfranc injury ended his 2021 and some people thought he might be a post June 1 cut, but he has had a really solid 2022 season. Philly papers say he is the most underrated player on a great Philly o-line and is the glue of the line. He is 29 years old and his estimated market value is $12M per season. Can't imagine why he would leave Philly or Philly would let him walk after the season they and he just had but Super Bowl teams typically have to make hard choices.

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/245851-looking-at-our-options-to-rebuild-the-o-line-in-2023/#comment-8262977

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.