Drafting a TE Day 1 & 2

BillsShredder83

I can't figure out why anyone would want the Bills to draft a TE in the early rounds.  We have a lot of money invested into a good TE we don't even use that much as it is.  We don't need a new starting TE, sure we could use a backup or a guy to run some 2 TE sets with, but this offense is not going to maximize 2 TE's enough to warrant investing premium early round draft resources into this position over all the other needs of the team.

I absolutely do not see the fit, value, or reason to go TE in the first 3 rounds of this draft when we just extended Knox who already does not get enough touches for himself.  

There are so many other needs now and in the near future on both sides of this ball over a luxury pick who will be barely used behind a good TE we already don't use enough.

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I can't figure out why anyone would want the Bills to draft a TE in the early rounds.  We have a lot of money invested into a good TE we don't even use that much as it is.  We don't need a new starting TE, sure we could use a backup or a guy to run some 2 TE sets with, but this offense is not going to maximize 2 TE's enough to warrant investing premium early round draft resources into this position over all the other needs of the team.

I absolutely do not see the fit, value, or reason to go TE in the first 3 rounds of this draft when we just extended Knox who already does not get enough touches for himself.  

There are so many other needs now and in the near future on both sides of this ball over a luxury pick who will be barely used behind a good TE we already don't use enough.

Pistols at dawn. My dog will act as seconds.

On 3/17/2023 at 7:45 PM, BillsShredder83 said:

Ive seen enough people lobbying for a TE early in the draft, why?  We've shown it to be a low priority position for 20 years.  For 10 of it, the position has been very overdrafted by the league as a whole.  Its a hard position to project how a player will handle the jump, even ones taken very early.  Theyre molasses slow to develop. A 1k yard TE is an absolute unicorn sighting of an appearance.  Theres a bunch of 1k WRs every year.  First downs? Emphasize the slot.  Elite TE's in the redzone are very special, no denying that.  However, when you consider the miss rate on TEs, it seems like an astronomical price to pay for a position for that leads to less yards, higher bust rates, lower benefits of the rookie contracts with the steep learning curve of years 1 & 2.

Im open to being wrong (I expect to get blasted here and Im open to  it), I understand the versatility provided leads to less tipping off your plays by personnel.  If I want yards & TDs, 1st downs, I want a WR. If i want blocking gimme an OL or a lower round blocking TE.  The TD's are less clear cut in making up, but if you cant make them up by scheming them to your WRs and passing to your backs, are you going to be able to scheme them open for a TE?

Im not saying Id never draft a TE, but Id be more than OK never drafting one rounds 1-3, and paying a premium in free agency.  Let someone else draft them high, take on the bust risk and get them up to speed. I'll have my FA dollars ready if it's an absolute must have

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

4 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

No, that's a bonus. The thing that makes Kelce and Gronk great is their ability have over 1,000 yards receiving and double digit TD's per year... Like #1 wr production in the passing game. 

If Diggs was a great blocker nobody would say his blocking is what makes him great. 

Diggs is a WR blocking for them is a bonus, for TEs it's a part of the core skill set.

Just now, Warcodered said:

Diggs is a WR blocking for them is a bonus, for TEs it's a part of the core skill set.

Sure, but we're talking about a potential #1 wr in the shape of a TE. There's not that many of them. And I'm not saying Kincaid is that. But I'm not passing on a guy who can put up 100 receptions, 1000 yards and 15 TD's a year bc he isn't an all pro blocker. 

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Let’s take Tucker Kraft in round 2….jk tho I really hope he doesn’t go to the Dolphins. They have been heavily linked to him 

My TE rankings before this thing were:

1. Kincaid

2. Kraft

3. Mayer

4. LaPorta

5. Musgrave

6. Schoonmaker

7. Washington 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.