Drafting a TE Day 1 & 2

BillsShredder83

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

Well, I agree, but it might be that Dorsey is more comfortable including the TE as a threat option in 12 personnel, so adding one would actually increase Knox's use. There's quite a bit of talent at the position in the draft in a down year at WR, so I think this is a sneaky place to look for a weapon.

Fair.

The Bills obviously need to add more offensive weaponry one way or another, as they have been so far this offseason. I'm just leery that Dorsey will actually know what to do with the talent added, after I watched him (in my opinion) misuse/underuse/refuse to use Dawson Knox, James Cook, and Nyheim Hines last year.

I really, really hope Dorsey improves from year one to year two in terms of personnel deployment and usage, and that he and Beane are on the same page this offseason in terms of exactly what types of players he wants. They did NOT seem to be on the same page last season, in my opinion (See: Hines, Nyheim).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Fair.

The Bills obviously need to add more offensive weaponry one way or another, as they have been so far this offseason. I'm just leery that Dorsey will actually know what to do with the talent added, after I watched him (in my opinion) misuse/underuse/refuse to use Dawson Knox, James Cook, and Nyheim Hines last year.

I really, really hope Dorsey improves from year one to year two in terms of personnel deployment and usage, and that he and Beane are on the same page this offseason in terms of exactly what types of players he wants. They did NOT seem to be on the same page last season, in my opinion (See: Hines, Nyheim).

No doubt. I have the same concerns about Dorsey. He needs to figure it out or someone who has a clue will replace him.

• Like (+1) 1

Not gonna lie .. I loathe conversations about “Dorsey may want this or that”….

Cool… so what happens if our offense is elite this year and Dorsey gets a HC job?  

Now we have Knox and a RD1 TE because our former OC wanted that. 

Not the worst thing in the world, but now our new OC comes into a situation where we’ve clearly gone heavy on TE investment. 

On 3/18/2023 at 9:16 PM, Dr. Who said:

Another fella here has been recommending Tucker Kraft, South Dakota State TE, who is probably around a third round grade. I'd be surprised if the position is not addressed in the first two days, especially given the quality available this year and Dorsey's assumed desire to employ more 12 personnel in the offense.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Fella looks great. I wonder a bit about the level of competition, but he absolutely seems like a perfect fit.

I hope he's around in the third, because I suspect that is where they might be open to drafting him.

Off-topic, but I like teams with idiosyncratic names. Jackrabbits is just fun.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Cool… so what happens if our offense is elite this year and Dorsey gets a HC job?  

Not the worst thing in the world, but now our new OC comes into a situation where we’ve clearly gone heavy on TE investment. 

I don't see an issue with 

1.) Dorsey getting a HC job...  I don't think he is that good of an OC. Hopefully in year 2 he proves me wrong but even so I don't think his body of work suggests he is anywhere's close to be HC ready

2.) Why would 2 TE's be a problem for any OC... If you're a good coach you can scheme it. If you can't scheme 2 top TEs on the roster then you're just not a good enough coach

Edited by ddaryl

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Yes, it helps in this era if your HC is the offense expert fella. I personally like 12 personnel, so I think then you go find yourself another OC who employs it.

19 minutes ago, Logic said:

Fair.

Cook early on didn't seem ready for the offensive responsibilities.  I know there was one either INT or near INT where he did an option route incorrectly (turned the wrong way, another time he ran into coverage instead of sitting), his blocking wasn't nearly as strong as DS (which is important since teams starting blitzing us more as the season wore on), and he didn't seem to have much in the way of confidence coming out last year for whatever reason.  To me, he was an example of a player who needed more practice reps to get comfortable.

Hines they tried to jam some specific plays and packages for, and i think that was limiting because it felt like if he was on the field the ball was going to him.  To me, he isn't a gadget player - just use him like a 3rd down running back.  He's fast as hell, and should be fine getting 80-100 carries, and 50-75 targets.  

Knox usage was puzzling, but seemed a bit matchup dependent.  He also seemed to suffer from offensive line challenges and had to help a bit more often than Dorsey probably wanted.  Having the right tackles struggle that much means knox is blocking on quite a few downs.  

I'd put TE at one of the LOWEST priorities this offseason.

The only guy I'd consider is that 6'8" monster that showed well at the combine, just for red zone jump balls.

Kuntz.

My draft needs have been different than FA needs.

Draft needs:

MLB - the CLEAR #1 need this year.

IOL - A starter at G or at least a versatile OG/OC

FS and SS -  I want TWO safeties in this draft if it falls right.

DT - I'd like to add a Nose Tackle to add to the mix

WR - LAST need..... but a need.

On 3/17/2023 at 7:45 PM, BillsShredder83 said:

Ive seen enough people lobbying for a TE early in the draft, why?  We've shown it to be a low priority position for 20 years.  For 10 of it, the position has been very overdrafted by the league as a whole.  Its a hard position to project how a player will handle the jump, even ones taken very early.  Theyre molasses slow to develop. A 1k yard TE is an absolute unicorn sighting of an appearance.  Theres a bunch of 1k WRs every year.  First downs? Emphasize the slot.  Elite TE's in the redzone are very special, no denying that.  However, when you consider the miss rate on TEs, it seems like an astronomical price to pay for a position for that leads to less yards, higher bust rates, lower benefits of the rookie contracts with the steep learning curve of years 1 & 2.

Im open to being wrong (I expect to get blasted here and Im open to  it), I understand the versatility provided leads to less tipping off your plays by personnel.  If I want yards & TDs, 1st downs, I want a WR. If i want blocking gimme an OL or a lower round blocking TE.  The TD's are less clear cut in making up, but if you cant make them up by scheming them to your WRs and passing to your backs, are you going to be able to scheme them open for a TE?

Im not saying Id never draft a TE, but Id be more than OK never drafting one rounds 1-3, and paying a premium in free agency.  Let someone else draft them high, take on the bust risk and get them up to speed. I'll have my FA dollars ready if it's an absolute must have

I'm not a big fan of an 1st round TE.  They almost never produce much in year 1, and we have a big hole at LB, could use a WR, and just generally getting stouter on the offensive and defensive lines. 

On 3/18/2023 at 12:02 AM, MJS said:

I tend to agree. I don't think TE's should be drafted in the first round.

Kelce: 3rd rounder

Gronk: 2nd rounder

Kittle: 5th rounder

Andrews: 3rd rounder

Waller: 6th rounder

And there are really no other TE's worth mentioning. Do not pay more than a 2nd round pick on a TE.

Agree at least not early.  Oj Howard didn't work out.  Hockinson is good but not great.  Having said that of Myers is there at 27 he'd be hard to pass on depending who else is available. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Fella looks great. I wonder a bit about the level of competition, but he absolutely seems like a perfect fit.

I hope he's around in the third, because I suspect that is where they might be open to drafting him.

Off-topic, but I like teams with idiosyncratic names. Jackrabbits is just fun.

well, the highlights do show great hands.  And that is something independent of competition level.  Also looks big.  Don't know if he can block, but looks like another potential red zone or 3rd and short guy at the very least.    

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

well, the highlights do show great hands.  And that is something independent of competition level.  Also looks big.  Don't know if he can block, but looks like another potential red zone or 3rd and short guy at the very least.    

I'm definitely interested in the fella. I also like for different reasons Dalton Kincaid (you'd have to get him in the first if he falls) and Darnell Washington (mainly a blocker who probably goes in the second.) Altogether, this guy might be the best convergence of talent and availability in a round when TE could be the choice.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm definitely interested in the fella. I also like for different reasons Dalton Kincaid (you'd have to get him in the first if he falls) and Darnell Washington (mainly a blocker who probably goes in the second.) Altogether, this guy might be the best convergence of talent and availability in a round when TE could be the choice.

I think you pick Kincaid in Rd 1 if you believe he has Travis Kelce / Zack Ertz potential of being a future #1 or #2 receiving option. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Motorin' said:

I think you pick Kincaid in Rd 1 if you believe he has Travis Kelce / Zack Ertz potential of being a future #1 or #2 receiving option. 

That's right. I think he does. He's my not so secret crush for the first round.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/18/2023 at 7:48 AM, HOUSE said:

The Bills have a TE disability,  even Travis Kelsey would be to well  covered to get the ball.

This is outrageous! Isn’t the NFL responsible for accommodating our disability in some way? Maybe let the other guys only have 10 guys on defense? We need some justice! 

51 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Kincaid isn’t a good blocker. The thing that makes Kelce and Gronk so great is their ability as receivers and as blockers.

8 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Kincaid isn’t a good blocker. The thing that makes Kelce and Gronk so great is their ability as receivers and as blockers.

No, that's a bonus. The thing that makes Kelce and Gronk great is their ability have over 1,000 yards receiving and double digit TD's per year... Like #1 wr production in the passing game. 

If Diggs was a great blocker nobody would say his blocking is what makes him great. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.