Drafting a TE Day 1 & 2

BillsShredder83

45 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I (try) to never say, “I want (or don’t want) ___ position.” It is about the PLAYER and not the POSITION!! This is an elite TE draft. There is an elite RB prospect as well. I would rather take the elite player instead of a lesser player at a more-desired position. 

Beane seems to prioritize getting rid of all the holes. I think it's better to accept a few weak spots in the roster makeup if that is the needed price to go get elite talents that impact a game. We always seem to have a team that lacks glaring weaknesses, but also has fewer top end talents than other teams that are contenders for the SB.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Beane seems to prioritize getting rid of all the holes. I think it's better to accept a few weak spots in the roster makeup if that is the needed price to go get elite talents that impact a game. We always seem to have a team that lacks glaring weaknesses, but also has fewer top end talents than other teams that are contenders for the SB.

I agree 100%. That’s why, when it comes to the draft, we should focus on “the elite talents” and not positions. As an example, Bijan Robinson, will almost certainly be the highest rated player on the board, if he makes it to the Bills. He’s a top 10 talent in this draft. Are you better of taking him or A RT with some flaws or a LB that’s a bit of a reach?

I’m coming around on the idea that a TE (like Kincaid) may be the pick at 27. While we have “bigger needs” you should take a swing at a potentially elite talent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

If they are truly committed to playing some double TE sets then yes, it would be a good year to get a #2 TE.  The problem is we can't get Dorsey and Allen to get enough targets to Knox.  

TE, or WR, or both in the first two rounds would be fine with me. Honestly they truly could go BPA at every position except QB, S, RB, CB, and OLB in the first four rounds and I would be fine.  They need DL, MLB, WR, TE, C/G, and OT in no particular order.  

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The bills have never had a top 5 TE in the history since I have been alive! But clearly guys like Kelce and Gronk don’t contribute to winning!

I also like Dalton Kincaid of Utah a lot. 

They have never had a ProBowl TE since the merger of the AFL/NFL.  It is the worst franchise position group in the history of the NFL.  

• Like (+1) 1

Last year I wanted to draft TE in round 1 or 2.

I took some heat on my evaluation of Knox, and I'll say it now that I was wrong.  I'm happy with Knox, and would love to see us shore up depth behind him.  Not in rounds 1 or 2 though...

22 hours ago, mrags said:

I like the tape in Laporta. He looks like he may be good at the next level. I’d target him in the 3rd though. Not sure he’s worthy of a 2nd. I’d hope for Washington in the 2nd with a trade up possibly. But I’m not sure he’ll last that long. But I think Kincaid, Meyer, and Musgrave should all go ahead of Washington. Maybe even Laporta. Just all depends on how things land 

Laporte is a very reliable receiver who will convert third downs all day long. He can hit the seams as well. He was the fastest TE at the Combine (4.59). His other results were also for the most part good. Just looking at the highlights from his years at Iowa I don't see much YAC however (he's not Kittle) and he is a below average blocker. He looks to me to be a guy who will play for a long time in the league but personally I'd prefer a more well rounded skillset. But if he's there and they take him in the second round I certainly would not be upset. He's good.

42 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Laporte is a very reliable receiver who will convert third downs all day long. He can hit the seams as well. He was the fastest TE at the Combine (4.59). His other results were also for the most part good. Just looking at the highlights from his years at Iowa I don't see much YAC however (he's not Kittle) and he is a below average blocker. He looks to me to be a guy who will play for a long time in the league but personally I'd prefer a more well rounded skillset. But if he's there and they take him in the second round I certainly would not be upset. He's good.

I like all that except I’d hope to get him in the 3rd. 

11 minutes ago, mrags said:

I like all that except I’d hope to get him in the 3rd. 

Another fella here has been recommending Tucker Kraft, South Dakota State TE, who is probably around a third round grade. I'd be surprised if the position is not addressed in the first two days, especially given the quality available this year and Dorsey's assumed desire to employ more 12 personnel in the offense.

17 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Another fella here has been recommending Tucker Kraft, South Dakota State TE, who is probably around a third round grade. I'd be surprised if the position is not addressed in the first two days, especially given the quality available this year and Dorsey's assumed desire to employ more 12 personnel in the offense.

I like Kuntz also 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, mrags said:

I like Kuntz also 

Beast of an athlete. But  he seems to project as a project. NFL.com considers him a practice squad player.  SI says he is a 6th round prospect. If he was there in the fifth, I would take him.  But he is a flyer. 

The Bills' draft strategy is going to be heavily influenced by value.  We don't have access to their big board, of course, but the odds are that by the time Buffalo picks at #27 the cupboard is going to be bare or nearly bare of first round value.  Some observers think first round talent in this draft numbers in the teens.  Brandon Beane may trade down if he can.  Otherwise, he's going to take a deep breath and pick what he feels is the best player remaining.  It could well be a tight end.  It could be a WR or maybe a defensive lineman.  I very much doubt it will be pure guard, as I don't think there will be any kind of value there.  There might possibly be an offensive tackle.  It might be a linebacker, but I doubt it would be a defensive back. 

8 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Draft 2. One in round 1-2 and another in 3-4

line them up in the slot and out wide to get creative mismatches.

Darnell Washington is hopefully one of them

the entire draft could easily be OL/WR/TE

Dude, we only have six picks

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mrags said:

I like Kuntz also 

Kuntz can’t block worth *****, his hands are not great, and he looks nothing like a 4.55 guy on tape. 

3 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

That would be this guy. You want the best of both worlds hes your guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Kuntz can’t block worth *****, his hands are not great, and he looks nothing like a 4.55 guy on tape. 

That would be this guy. You want the best of both worlds hes your guy. 

He does seem a good choice and the third round is the sweet spot if you think as I increasingly do that they are likely to expend one of the first two picks on lb. That would allow the other top pick to go hopefully towards wr or oline, though you know they'll be itching to add a 3-tech DT or yet another edge rusher that can't get to the qb.

14 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I love him. I think be could Allen's Travis Kelce for the next 10 years. If we don't take him I think he goes to the Bengals. If Dorsey wants to implement more 2 TE sets Kincaid and Knox would be quite the pair.

Im not sure anyone will ever be Kelce. But he definitely plays like Zach Ertz and wears the same number. If the injury to his back is not serious long term then he would be worth our first pick depending on how the rest of the board fell

On 3/18/2023 at 2:08 AM, Dr. Who said:

Dorsey is supposed to favor 12 personnel. It does create mismatches. A strong blocking TE with some offensive ability would be a solid add. Given the positional strength in the draft, I do think there's a decent possibility a relatively early pick could be used.

I like Washington. Supposedly we met with him.

You get another Tackle with him also. You never know if they are planning to throw or run!

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.